Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallon of milk projected to cost $4.50 soon!

Gallon of milk projected to cost $4.50 soon!

Heard it on the news today.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Supreme Jar Opener

Re: Gallon of milk projected to cost $4.50 soon!

I'm just gonna go buy a cow... Now mind you, that is whole vitamin d milk that will cost that much. Skim and 2% will only be three fifty a gallon.

I demand investigations of Big Dairy! Too much profit I say.

Interestingly, the report I heard linked the rise in price to gasoline.

Not how you'd think, though. Not because of shipping etc. etc., but because corn usage for alternative fuels/alternative fuel research is through the roof.

Before you all go knocking on the dairy farmers, my dad is one...he ended up having to sell to a bigger dairy to avoid losing everything to the bank a few years back when dairy prices were ridiculously low. He still works there, but he doesn't own it. (The place that bought the farm hired him) I feel so bad...he's in his sixties, and not a pot to pee in...
    Last edited by redsfanfalcon; 05-03-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: change in wording

I already pay $3.79 for the organic variety. Maybe it's just marketing, but I feel better giving it to my young boys.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanfalcon View Post
    Before you all go knocking on the dairy farmers, my dad is one...he ended up having to sell to a bigger dairy to avoid losing everything to the bank a few years back when dairy prices were ridiculously low. He still works there, but he doesn't own it. (The place that bought the farm hired him) I feel so bad...he's in his sixties, and not a pot to pee in...
    The small dairy farms in the midwest have gotten the shaft for years from the current milk-pricing structure. With razor-thin profit margins, it's tough for a dairy farmer to make a living unless they scale up to a massive herd and 24-hour milking.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I demand investigations of Big Dairy! Too much profit I say.
    Agreed.

Seriously
    Go Gators!

The dairy farmers aren't seeing any of that.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I might have to scale back my milk drinking. I go through about 2 gallons a week just by myself. I love me some milk.

Man, I just payed $1.74 yesterday.

As resident dairy farmer of this board, I think it is long over due. Be ready for it to follow with all of your animal products, and vegetables as well. The US animal agriculture system is based on the price of corn. Somehow or other the price of milk did not follow the price of corn for the last nine months. Milk is priced on a complicated system of orders, blend and pool prices, and VOLUNTARY inventory reporting. I took two college classes on it from one of the leaders in the field, and I still don't understand it. However, this is a supply demand issue. Cows are hitting the bricks, because farmers can not afford to pay for $4 a bushel corn when the current system is based on $2 corn. For a point of reference, I milk 115 cows, and it cost me an additional $15,000 out of pocket. At the end of the day most farmers don't make any more take home pay then most people working 40 hour weeks, when they are working 65. So that really hurts. Costs of production have obviously increased with fuel prices, and with the raising of the minimum wage, which is raising the lower end of the pay scale for unskilled labor. The new demand for corn as a biofuel, has very scary ramifications across the board. Recently Time magazine predicted that by 2012 that the entire corn crop at current levels of production would go for ethanol, like that was a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I already pay $3.79 for the organic variety. Maybe it's just marketing, but I feel better giving it to my young boys.
    You are being sold a bill of goods, because other than being fed organic feed, the cows on the whole are raised the same as any other animal. Organic animal products do have one downside that is frequently ignored. Animals do get sick, without antibiotics they either must go for meat, or they die. Some of the new organically friendly treatments do help, but they are not substitutes for perfectly safe antibiotics used in disease intervention. Animals that could be saved and live perfectly healthy lives, die routinely.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 05-04-2007 at 12:55 AM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Agreed.

Seriously
    Seriously wrong. I know of many families that are losing farms that have been in their families for 160 years. Some of those milk upwards of 700 cows. They have shattered lives, heritages, marriages, and financial ruin. It truely makes me sad.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    As resident dairy farmer of this board, I think it is long over do. Be ready for it to follow with all of your animal products, and vegetables as well. The US animal agriculture system is based on the price of corn. Somehow or other the price of milk did not follow the price of corn for the last nine months. Milk is priced on a complicated system of orders, blend and pool prices, and VOLUNTARY inventory reporting. I took two college classes on it from one of the leaders in the field, and I still don't understand it. However, this is a supply demand issue. Cows are hitting the bricks, because farmers can not afford to pay for $4 a bushel corn when the current system is based on $2 corn. For a point of reference, I milk 115 cows, and it cost me an additional $15,000 out of pocket. At the end of the day most farmers don't make any more take home pay then most people working 40 hour weeks, when they are working 65. So that really hurts. Costs of production have obviously increased with fuel prices, and with the raising of the minimum wage, which is raising the lower end of the pay scale for unskilled labor. The new demand for corn as a biofuel, has very scary ramifications across the board. Recently Time magazine predicted that by 2012 that the entire corn crop at current levels of production would go for ethanol, like that was a good thing.

You are being sold a bill of goods, because other than being fed organic feed, the cows on the whole are raised the same as any other animal. Organic animal products do have one downside that is frequently ignored. Animals do get sick, without antibiotics they either must go for meat, or they die. Some of the new organically friendly treatments do help, but they are not substitutes for perfectly safe antibiotics used in disease intervention. Animals that could be saved and live perfectly healthy lives, die routinely.
    Well, from our perspective, it's the use of the antibiotics that are the concern. It's not that we don't want cows to live long, healthy lives. It's just a concern, whether founded or unfounded, that extensive use of antibiotics would cause some of those antibiotics to pass through the milk and into our children. The concern is that those antibiotics may transfer to our kids and affect their own immune system. We get a lot of that from our doctor, who is of the opinion that antibiotics, while helpful, should only be used in limited quantities for situations that really warrant it. She believes that excessive use of antibiotics not only produces "supergerms," but also weakens the body's ability to fight off infection on its own and kills off beneficial bacterial flora in the digestive system.

We didn't really think about it much until we had children and my wife started nursing and learning about all the stuff that she transfers from her body to our baby through milk. Now, of course pasteurization does a lot to kill off harmful bacteria that could come from the animal, but does that process remove antibiotics that may be transfered from the cow? Is there any additional processing? Maybe you could shed some light on the process, because beyond pasteurization, I really have little idea of how milk gets from the cow to my local grocery store.

Your point about corn prices is interesting. I've never really connected the dots between the whole push for biofuels like ethanol and biodiesel and how it affects other aspects of agriculture.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Not sure of the price today, but it was $1.25 per half-gallon at the local Walmart over the weekend, both whole and skim. My toddler has stopped drinking it, and my wife, son, and I go through about 1/2 gallon a week, so I don't guess this will hit us too hard. I'm more concerned about the price of gas, childcare, and satellite tv.

Turn Off Ads?