Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Gallon of milk projected to cost $4.50 soon!

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Gallon of milk projected to cost $4.50 soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Harry and David fruit of the month
    I'm not going to touch that.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Now I am a biased source, but the clowns that run the "not milk" site are die hard animal rights activists. They are funded by PETA and their supporters. Dairy industry publications have been pretty scathing in their efforts to expose their true intentions. They sew the seeds of doubt in minds of people that have never even seen a cow, because of their animal rights agenda. Their spokesman is a guy named Cohen, I think, who goes on radio shows, and was behind the "milk sucks got beer campaign". He plays fast and loose with the truth. He likes to make farmers look like a bunch of clueless greedy barbarians, while playing on the ignorance of those that don't have a connection to agriculture or basic biology.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Now I am a biased source, but the clowns that run the "not milk" site are die hard animal rights activists. They are funded by PETA and their supporters. Dairy industry publications have been pretty scathing in their efforts to expose their true intentions. They sew the seeds of doubt in minds of people that have never even seen a cow, because of their animal rights agenda. Their spokesman is a guy named Cohen, I think, who goes on radio shows, and was behind the "milk sucks got beer campaign". He plays fast and loose with the truth. He likes to make farmers look like a bunch of clueless greedy barbarians, while playing on the ignorance of those that don't have a connection to agriculture or basic biology.
    Tell us what you really think.

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I've found milk to be about a buck cheap at convenience stores these days. Whole Food and Trader Joe's also sell it cheaper than the regular supermarket chains.

I love the stuff, still put away at least two gallons a week. I drink 1% and have since I was in high school. Probably would have clogged every artery in my body years ago if I drank the high octane. Last cholesterol check I had was at 130 so I'm doing good on that front.

My personal "no way in hell I'd touch it" beverage is diet soda. I figure in the next 10-20 years we'll start to figure out what the nouveau sweeteners actually do to your body.
    UDF usually gives you like a 2 bucks off a gallon of milk when you fill up your gas tank.

Kroger regularly has the 10 for 10 sale and you can find half gallons of milk for a buck. That's when we buy milk. We'll buy 10 or 20 half gallons and freeze them. My wife makes English tea so we go through a lot of milk.

2.65 for gallon of milk at Kroger.

6 for 8 for half gallons.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Supreme Jar Opener

Ok, so this thread has convinced me that I need to buy a cow. For a few reasons..

A) avoid price hikes
    B) Assured to be organic and not cause my kids to grow up too soon
    C) The kids have been begging for a new pet, and cows are DARN cute...

Quote Originally Posted by zombielady View Post
    Ok, so this thread has convinced me that I need to buy a cow. For a few reasons..

A) avoid price hikes
    B) Assured to be organic and not cause my kids to grow up too soon
    C) The kids have been begging for a new pet, and cows are DARN cute...
    A. Having a cow is very expensive. Vet bills, feed, and necessary housing/equipment, would leave you longing for store bought milk quickly.
    B. Milk does not cause kids to grow up too soon. Where did you come up with that?
    C. Cows may be cute, but they have a propensity to break things, and they are definately not pets. Young children should never be in close vicinty of any cow. No matter how tame, cows don't know their own strength. Tame cows are known to hurt children quite often being affectionate.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Supreme Jar Opener

B. Milk does not cause kids to grow up too soon. Where did you come up with that?
    the hormones given to heifers to make them mature more quickly and produce more milk has been linked to young girls going through puberty as young as 6... or so I hear... it's actually mentioned on like page two of this very thread...

and cows make great pets... as long as they are for milk and not meat... that was devastating...

I've found milk to be about a buck cheap at convenience stores these days. Whole Food and Trader Joe's also sell it cheaper than the regular supermarket chains.

I love the stuff, still put away at least two gallons a week. I drink 1% and have since I was in high school. Probably would have clogged every artery in my body years ago if I drank the high octane. Last cholesterol check I had was at 130 so I'm doing good on that front.

My personal "no way in hell I'd touch it" beverage is diet soda. I figure in the next 10-20 years we'll start to figure out what the nouveau sweeteners actually do to your body.
    I won't touch diet soda or milk.

I think you're dead on about artificial sweeteners.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Amen. When I started to put on the lb's in my late 20's -- an easy fix was giving the heave-ho to soda. I replaced it with water. Why would you pay more for something with a taste "you have to get used to"?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I won't touch diet soda or milk.

I think you're dead on about artificial sweeteners.
    It costs a fortune, but Splenda is pretty good stuff.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

the hormones given to heifers to make them mature more quickly and produce more milk has been linked to young girls going through puberty as young as 6... or so I hear... it's actually mentioned on like page two of this very thread...

and cows make great pets... as long as they are for milk and not meat... that was devastating...
    Growth hormone is 100% metabolized by the liver before it reaches the rest of the body if it is taken orally. That is why BALCO had a "cream" (absorbed across the skin) and a "clear" (absorbed through the mucous membranes in the mouth) rather than "tablet."

As difficult as it is for some to believe, the FDA and USDA do a pretty darned good job of regulating what enters the human food chain.

Here is a quick fact dairy heifers are NOT given hormones to make them "mature more quickly" that is a flat lie you have heard. Mature cows can be supplemented in order to produce more milk, not heifers. Giving it to a heifer not in milk would make her fat and cause her to store fat in her udder. She would not develop correctly, and future production and udder health would be negatively impacted.

Cows are not pets. They are large strong animals. The smallest mature cows weigh 1000lbs, and the largest over 2200. I have worked with my share. What would you say if your tame cow tried to get some affection by rubbing one of your children in a corner. They like to push on people and each other to show affection. They have no concept of acceptable force. A small child would be injured, or concievably killed. It doesn't take a viscious attack. My children are not allowed to be around the cows without direct supervision. Even small show calves, can be dangerous.

Supreme Jar Opener

Here is a quick fact dairy heifers are NOT given hormones to make them "mature more quickly" that is a flat lie you have heard. Mature cows can be supplemented in order to produce more milk, not heifers. Giving it to a heifer not in milk would make her fat and cause her to store fat in her udder. She would not develop correctly, and future production and udder health would be negatively impacted.

Cows are not pets. They are large strong animals. The smallest mature cows weigh 1000lbs, and the largest over 2200. I have worked with my share. What would you say if your tame cow tried to get some affection by rubbing one of your children in a corner. They like to push on people and each other to show affection. They have no concept of acceptable force. A small child would be injured, or concievably killed. It doesn't take a viscious attack. My children are not allowed to be around the cows without direct supervision. Even small show calves, can be dangerous.
    :thumbdown

1) I was actually poking fun of a comment earlier in the thread about the hormones... As I stated earlier that I love milk, and give my kids only whole milk

2) I'm not a moron. I lived on a dairy farm growing up, so I am familiar with both the size and temperament of a cow... I also doubt that my landlord would allow a cow in the apartment...

This is why they don't allow political threads here... Everyone takes themselves too seriously. Have you ever heard humor before, or is it entirely unfamiliar to you?

Turn Off Ads?