Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gallon of milk projected to cost $4.50 soon!

Re: Gallon of milk projected to cost $4.50 soon!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Has anyone ever done any studies to see if money has changed hands between the American Medical Association and the Dairy Farmer Lobby?

The Dairy Lobby ads frequently show endorsements of the AMA. But it is my understanding (and I'm sure the dairy farmers here will correct me if I'm wrong) that doctors outside the U.S. have soft-pedalled their support of milk-drinking by humans. We're the only species that consumes milk of other species.

This doesn't mean I don't like dairy. I eat a fair amount of dairy, esp. cheese. I try to limit my ice cream consumption, but love it. For drinking, I switched to soy milk a few years ago, and now prefer it.

So overall, I like milk, but it seems to me that most parties without a dog in the fight discourage drinking it:

http://www.notmilk.com/
    I don't know chili, but that page seem seems to be pretty inflammatory. They seem to use some harsh terms to describe those espousing the benefits of dairy, so it's hard to say they don't have a dog in the fight. They have something in the fight, or else they wouldn't resort to name calling.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Actually, they say that for babies the fat is some of the stuff they need. As my wife had nursed both of our sons, the nursing consultants and doctors have always emphasized the importance of making sure the baby nurses long enough to get some of that milkfat at the comes at the end of the nursing cycle (called the hindmilk). For our first born, our pediatrician recommended switching from formula to whole milk at a year and then keeping him on whole milk through toddlerhood. Apparently, fat is vital to brain development in infants and toddlers. They say that you should only cut the fat in a baby's diet for certain medical conditions.
    Yep, babies need to get whole milk from the age of 1 up until 2 or so before switching to any low fat variety.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

If it eases your pain any, milk has been $4.50 in Alaska for years. Probably $5.50 by now.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    If it eases your pain any, milk has been $4.50 in Alaska for years. Probably $5.50 by now.
    Ever try to get milk from a female polar bear?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Ever try to get milk from a female polar bear?
    Moose milk can be pretty tricky too?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

I don't know chili, but that page seem seems to be pretty inflammatory. They seem to use some harsh terms to describe those espousing the benefits of dairy, so it's hard to say they don't have a dog in the fight. They have something in the fight, or else they wouldn't resort to name calling.
    I agree. If milk is so bad (evil) for you, then why do women naturally produce it for their young?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I agree the keepers of the web page are inflammatory. I posted the page more for the medical articles they cite on the far right side of the page.

By "dog in the fight," I'm talking about people who either want to sell milk or people who want to sell substitutes for milk, or people who are paid by either side.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I agree the keepers of the web page are inflammatory. I posted the page more for the medical articles they cite on the far right side of the page.

By "dog in the fight," I'm talking about people who either want to sell milk or people who want to sell substitutes for milk, or people who are paid by either side.
    I didn't really see any links to studies on the right side of the page. Just links to various search engines and the front pages to medical journals and encyclopaedia, but nothing linking to a survey or study. In the middle, I see a list of people with statements about milk and dairy, but with the likes of some of their experts, they throw in the commentary of Alicia Silverstone and Lenny Bruce. And of course there's the calling of names of those who disagree with their point of view. So it's a little hard to take the "expert" testimony seriously when it's surrounded by so much propaganda and derogatory commentary.

I don't doubt that overconsumption of dairy is not good for you. But overconsumption of anything is bad. I don't think the goal of that site is to take an objective look at the benefits and drawbacks of dairy consumption and I doubt they'd direct you to any studies that contradict their point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No fruit?

Kill me and just move on then.
    I overstated. To clarify, I don't get overly excited about fruit -- save, maybe, ripe peaches. Part of this is the fetish in this country to make everything big. Small, tart, inseason fruit is ok.

But, basically, I'm endowed with an unfashionable Northern European palatte -- dairy, bread, meat and beer.
    Last edited by Rojo; 05-05-2007 at 10:13 PM.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    But, basically, I'm endowed with an unfashionable Northern European palatte -- dairy, bread, meat and beer.
    and glazed root vegitables and boiled potatoes.:drool:
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

I've found milk to be about a buck cheap at convenience stores these days. Whole Food and Trader Joe's also sell it cheaper than the regular supermarket chains.

I love the stuff, still put away at least two gallons a week. I drink 1% and have since I was in high school. Probably would have clogged every artery in my body years ago if I drank the high octane. Last cholesterol check I had was at 130 so I'm doing good on that front.

My personal "no way in hell I'd touch it" beverage is diet soda. I figure in the next 10-20 years we'll start to figure out what the nouveau sweeteners actually do to your body.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I overstated. To clarify, I don't get overly excited about fruit -- save, maybe, ripe peaches. Part of this is the fetish in this country to make everything big. Small, tart, inseason fruit is ok.

I've never been a big fruit person myself, but my sister-in-law and her husband got us a Harry and David fruit of the month club subscription and, I must say, they send you some tasty fruit. The pears have been routinely awesome and we just got a pineapple in the mail today. Delicious.

Fruit in the mail - who knew?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Isn't the price of a gallon of milk one of those political questions they ask to see if the guy is in touch with the common folk? I'm about as common as they come, and I wouldn't be able to answer that question, because I don't drink the stuff. The concept is just too gross. It's like drinking phlegm

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    Isn't the price of a gallon of milk one of those political questions they ask to see if the guy is in touch with the common folk? I'm about as common as they come, and I wouldn't be able to answer that question, because I don't drink the stuff. The concept is just too gross. It's like drinking phlegm
    Does that make cheese like eating boogers to you?

Turn Off Ads?