Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,783

    3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

    keep up the brilliant managing, lets keep trusting fossilized retreads

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    1,171

    Re: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

    I didn't touch the game thread and I'm sure it's been said 100 times but it's time to go to the young arms in the pen. If you can't downright cut the grandpa's out there, put them in the back of the pen and pitch them in mop up until they prove otherwise. Move Coutlangus, Coffey, Salmon, Saarloos to the front. Get McBeth, Medlock, etc. up here. There is no reason to lose with these guys anymore. If the Reds are going to lose games like this, I'd much rather see the young guys taking their lumps than the old men blow it game after game.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    496

    Re: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

    Here's some stats to chew on. I'll start by stating that the Stros are only 8-14 against everyone but the Reds. They are not a good team right now. The Reds have led the Astros at some point of the 8th inning in 4 of our 5 games with them, only to go 1-4.

    Against Houston on the year
    Starters ERA: 3.46
    Bullpen ERA: 10.5

    Even more painful is to look at our 8th innings against them:
    Over half the runs we've given up on the season to Houston have been in the 8th inning of the 5 meetings. The bullpen's 8th inning ERA against them is 21.6.

    Obviously, the bullpen has been at its worst against Houston. I think the point has been made however. As the team struggles to keep their head above water, the bullpen is essentially a 40 lb weight strapped around the collective Reds' waist.

    We're 2 games under .500 and 5 games out. If the bullpen hadn't blown it against the Stros, we're 4 games over and only 2 games out. What's Wayne going to do?

  5. #4
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

    Quote Originally Posted by KYRed View Post
    Here's some stats to chew on. I'll start by stating that the Stros are only 8-14 against everyone but the Reds. They are not a good team right now. The Reds have led the Astros at some point of the 8th inning in 4 of our 5 games with them, only to go 1-4.

    Against Houston on the year
    Starters ERA: 3.46
    Bullpen ERA: 10.5

    Even more painful is to look at our 8th innings against them:
    Over half the runs we've given up on the season to Houston have been in the 8th inning of the 5 meetings. The bullpen's 8th inning ERA against them is 21.6.

    Obviously, the bullpen has been at its worst against Houston. I think the point has been made however. As the team struggles to keep their head above water, the bullpen is essentially a 40 lb weight strapped around the collective Reds' waist.

    We're 2 games under .500 and 5 games out. If the bullpen hadn't blown it against the Stros, we're 4 games over and only 2 games out. What's Wayne going to do?
    Wow, great research on those stats KY. Before the season started, I had the Astros picked to finish last, and I still think that's going to happen as they're really not a very good team. It seems like any bullpen move Narron makes against them backfires and for some reason, always comes in the 8th inning. If the Reds expect to have a shot at the playoffs this year, guys in the 'pen need to step up and come through in the late inning situations. If they don't, Wayne needs to dip in the minors (Maj, McBeth,Burton, Dumatrait?, Medlock) to see who will.

  6. #5
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

    Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    keep up the brilliant managing, lets keep trusting fossilized retreads
    Well I do think that he should have gone to Couter instead of Stanton, but would you have wanted him to bring in Santos tonight?

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    113

    Re: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

    He started warming Salmon up with two outs in the bottom of the 4th.

    Thought he would then come in the 5th, but as we all know he didn't come in at all.

    This would have been a nice test for the rookie who could have come at these guys with the heat.
    Thought Coffey did a nice job, and he throws harder than the guys in front of him last night. Would have been nice to see if the 'stros could hit 95-97 fb's in the bottom of the 8th.

    In ST hitters had a tough time against Salmon, hitting a lot of ground balls, just what we needed last night with runners on base. Oh well, maybe we will s ee him tonight.

  8. #7
    Kmac5 KoryMac5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Waterloo, NY
    Posts
    3,681

    Re: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

    The only thing more painful than watching the bullpen implode again is reading the Santos support group.

  9. #8
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,167

    Re: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

    Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The only thing more painful than watching the bullpen implode again is reading the Santos support group.
    What hasn't Santos done this year? The guy has been the best out of the bullpen so far this year.

  10. #9
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,045

    Re: 3 games lost to astros by bullpen none by santos

    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56337

    Maybe you'll recognize the poster who started this thread too.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25