Turn Off Ads?

Thread: NCAA rules committee approves moving 3-point line back a foot

NCAA rules committee approves moving 3-point line back a foot

I assume most heard about this today. I'm surprised no one has commented. My comment is "It's about time!" I wonder if the NAIA and junior colleges will follow? I'm guessing they will.

Now, if ALL of basketball would change the rule so that a team that is fouled can choose to take the ball out-of-bounds instead of shooting free throws, the game will be just about right. Basketball is the only sport that provides an incentive (and rewards) a team for BREAKING THE RULES and fouling late in the game. It's the dumbest rule in all of sports, in my opinion -- teams hacking on the other team and being rewarded for it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ritethru.0883/

NCAA rules committee approves moving 3-point line a foot farther from basket

Posted: Thursday May 3, 2007 6:27 PM

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -College basketball players might want to start polishing up their long-range shooting.

The men's basketball rules committee approved a measure Thursday that would move the 3-point line back one foot in 2008-09 - from 19 feet, 9 inches to 20 feet, 9 inches. If approved by the playing rules oversight committee on May 25, it would mark the first major alteration to the 3-point shot since its inception in 1986-87.

The move comes after more than a decade of debate about whether to move the line. The extended line has been used on an experimental basis in some early season tournaments and NCAA statistics have not shown a dramatic change in shooting percentages from the longer line. But the rules change had never previously passed the rules committee for regular-season and postseason games.

"I am a little surprised they have made the change, but I have no real problem with it,'' North Carolina coach Roy Williams said. "I am certainly glad they didn't move it back to the NBA distance and certainly glad the committee did not widen the lane along with moving the 3-point line.

"The rules committee looks very seriously at these issues, and they are hopeful that changes they make will indeed help the game. This particular change should create more space and give teams more movement on offense.''

Chairman Larry Keating said the committee considered two proposals. The other would have moved the line to 20 feet, 6 inches, the same distance as international 3-pointers. Both are shorter than the NBA line, which is 23 feet, 9 inches at the top of the key and 22 feet at its shortest point in the baseline corners.

"We made it a point to come up with a distance that was correct for us and that didn't necessarily mimic the international line,'' Keating said.

Women's rules committee chairwoman Ronda Seagraves said the 3-point line will remain unchanged in women's basketball, and Bruce Howard, spokesman for the National Federation of State High School Associations, said he's unaware of any discussion about moving it on the prep level. High schools also use the 19-foot, 9-inch distance.

The new men's rule would be adopted by all three college divisions, and Keating expects the measure to pass in three weeks.

"It (the committee) has passed what we've done for the most part unless there are financial or safety issues, so, yes, I think it will be approved,'' he said.

The reason for delaying the change until November 2008 is money.

Keating said it was unfair to charge schools a surprise expenditure when most of the budgets for next year have already been approved. Still, Keating has been anticipating change for two decades.

"I like to say the day that it passed was the day we began discussing moving it back,'' Keating said. "The basic percentages haven't changed. I think it's safe to say you might see some reversal on that (percentages) for men.''

NCAA statistics show that 3-point percentages since 1992 have hovered between 34.1 and 35.6 percent each year. Stats from the experimental line showed shooting percentages between 34 and 35 percent.

Still, some coaches prefer no change.

"I come from the school of thought that if it's not broke, don't fix it,'' Indiana coach Kelvin Sampson said. "Over time, everyone will adjust to the rule. I think the 3-point shooting percentages will stay the same, there just won't be as many kids shooting 3s. Coaches will have to be a little more judicious determining who can and can't make the shot.''

Keating said the primary reason for making a change was to create more space between perimeter and post players. Ideally, that would help the rules committee continue on its mission to spread the floor and reduce physical play.

In another move, the committee approved a measure that would change the way players line up on free throws. Rebounders would have to move back one spot on the floor, following the same rules women's basketball teams currently use.

But the committee rejected adding the arch underneath the basket for charge-block calls, a line the NBA uses, in part because it believed there would be too many lines on the court.

It also passed measures that would allow officials to use replay monitors when trying to determine flagrant fouls and to assess who started a fight. Next year's points of emphasis will include the block-charge calls underneath the basket, enforcement of the coaches' box and palming.

The women's rules committee passed a measure requiring officials to use replay when a fight breaks out. Current rules allow officials to use replay monitors, but do not make it mandatory.

The points of emphasis in the women's game next year will focus on traveling, unsportsmanlike behavior and enforcement of the legal guarding position. The committee also rewrote its rules on technical fouls, which will now count toward individual and team fouls.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NCAA rules committee approves moving 3-point line back a foot

1 foot won't make a bit of difference. I'd say 75-85% of 3s are shot from beyond that extra foot.

I tend to think it will. The reason, only in my opinion, that you see a large % of shots from at least a foot beyond is because I think that is a general comfort level of clearance in a fast paced game in order to be sure a player is clearly beyond the arc after catching on the move or stopping one's dribble on the run, etc.

Of course there are certainly situations where players "toe the line".

However, I think moving the line back 1 foot will actually move most of the shots taken back 1 foot also in relation. I agree it will not affect the overall output of most of the guards and good shooting wings, as we certainly do see them taking and making a high % from "way" out. But the marginal chuckers will suffer, and I think there are plenty of them out there right now.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I've often thought that the three point line was kind of close anyway. 19 feet isn't exactly a difficult shot.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I've often thought that the three point line was kind of close anyway. 19 feet isn't exactly a difficult shot.
    It's a top-of-the-keyhole jump-shot. High school players were taking and making those when they counted two points.

If they would have had the "three" when I played high school basketball, my scoring average would have sky rocketed.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    If they would have had the "three" when I played high school basketball, my scoring average would have sky rocketed.
    I've been out of high school 20 years and still knock down that shot with regularity when playing with friends. It's about time they moved it back.

Turn Off Ads?