Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: At Least Stanton Cares...

At Least Stanton Cares...

you can say all you want about how he pitched last night, and ill be the first one to say he looked terrible, but he has an attitude that i wish some others on this team would have. they showed him in the dugout and he have a disgusted look, and looked like he felt horrible about letting the team down. The comparison that makes me bring this up is the night before, i don't know if anyone else saw this, but Adam Dunn hit a ground ball to first base to end the game, and they zoomed in on him, and he was walking back to the dugout with a big smile on his face. maybe it's just me, but i would think you should be more upset than that after you just lost the game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: At Least Stanton Cares...

That's the difference between us and them. It's their job. Is everyone on here passionate about their job? Do we all get bent out of shape when we make a minor mistake? Probably not. If you cut grass for a living and miss a patch, are you going to throw a fit? Probably not. If I spell a word wrong in an email and look like a moron, am I going to be visibly upset? Absolutely not. If Adam Dunn grounds out to first to end the game, is it any different? Nope.

As fans we're passionate, and we should be, probably more passionate than the players themselves. It's the nature of the beast. If this was October, not May, do I expect to see more passion from the players? Maybe, but every day at our jobs isn't the seventh game of the World Series either.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    That's the difference between us and them. It's their job. Is everyone on here passionate about their job? Do we all get bent out of shape when we make a minor mistake? Probably not. If you cut grass for a living and miss a patch, are you going to throw a fit? Probably not. If I spell a word wrong in an email and look like a moron, am I going to be visibly upset? Absolutely not. If Adam Dunn grounds out to first to end the game, is it any different? Nope.

As fans we're passionate, and we should be, probably more passionate than the players themselves. It's the nature of the beast. If this was October, not May, do I expect to see more passion from the players? Maybe, but every day at our jobs isn't the seventh game of the World Series either.

I don't think thats a normal comparison at all. playing baseball isn't the average job, and if you're any kind of competitor at all you get upset when you lose, but thats what seperates guys like dunn from guys like pujols, because the talent is there for both of them.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I've seen Dunn angry with himself plenty of times when he just misses a pitch. It's a long season, if a guy got mad at himself every time he grounded out, struck out, made an error through the course of the season, there'd be a lot more players in anger management sessions.

I don't think we can question Dunn's competitive edge, as none of us here know him(at least I don't think anyone here does). I'd rather have a guy that's going to have a clear head going into the next game or at bat than a guy that's beating himself up over what he did 2 innings ago.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I've seen Dunn angry with himself plenty of times when he just misses a pitch. It's a long season, if a guy got mad at himself every time he grounded out, struck out, made an error through the course of the season, there'd be a lot more players in anger management sessions.

I don't think we can question Dunn's competitive edge, as none of us here know him(at least I don't think anyone here does). I'd rather have a guy that's going to have a clear head going into the next game or at bat than a guy that's beating himself up over what he did 2 innings ago.
    agreed, but im not asking for a fit, i just don't want to see him smiling either after they just lost the game.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    agreed, but im not asking for a fit, i just don't want to see him smiling either after they just lost the game.
    The point is, what difference does it make? Smiling or crying, we have no idea what's going on in their heads. To expect passion is unrealistic, IMO. It's not required to be a great ballplayer. Does it help? I don't know. But, I, for one, am not interested in how much a guy beats himself up after losses.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

I didn't see it, but just to play devil's advocate - maybe his "smile" was more a look of chagrin, sort of "did that ever stink". Frankly, from I understand Griffey's was a torrid ball last night that closed the game - I'm not sure if you want to laugh or cry at that ending.

Dunn should have gotten all tough and punched Wheeler in the face after sawing him off, that would have shown how much he cared.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Dunn should have gotten all tough and punched Wheeler in the face after sawing him off, that would have shown how much he cared.

The perfect response

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

If only Dunn had better body language instead of just being the team's best run producer.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Tony Womack had a great game face, but no game.. bet he cared too eh?

To paraphrase

"It is OK to fail miserably, as long as one does it the right way."

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    If only Dunn had better body language instead of just being the team's best run producer.
    Dunn is not a run producer. I've heard it said many times.

Of all the reasons people have come up with in the past few years to bash Adam Dunn, this may be the stupidest.

Perhaps it was a grimace which looks like a smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?