Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I still like our future

I still like our future

Something feels different this season. Something inside of me has changed. This team is playing poorly, and isn't taking advantage of being in a poor division, yet I don't find myself infuriated. I'm much more patient than I've ever been.

Maybe it comes with increasing age, but I think it has more to do with this team's owner. I feel very confident in the future, something I've never felt before as a Reds fan. I know how much this owner wants to win, and while it doesn't make up for being a losing team, it eases the sting a little bit.

This team is still in transition mode. I think last year was more of a fluke year that got all of our hopes up, but the situation is what it is. Krivsky and Cast. are still in the process of cleaning up an absolute disaster. It's going to take time, and I'm willing to wait a little while longer for us to get this right.

I'm not waving the white flag on this season, but on the same hand, I see the iceberg coming right at us, head on. And I'm not going to jump ship on this team, because sooner or later, the gigantic hole from that iceberg WILL be patched up, and not with a big tarp (the Jim Bowden way).

It's hard to be patient, because we've been patient long enough, and have been promised too many things that never came true. But be patient just a little while longer. Nothing is sweeter than ending up on top after so many hardships. I still have as much confidence today as I did a year ago at this time. Maybe that makes me naive and delusional, but I feel this team is on its way.

The scouting department is getting rejuvenated, and the front office is starting to work cohesively together as one unit. Good things are in store for us, and I'm willing to put up with what probably won't be a very good season to see the rewards down the road.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Man Pills

Re: I still like our future

Sometimes futures come. Most don't.

Play for each season.

My guess is that as long as the Reds suck, they'll be called a team in a "transitional phase." That, to me, is a kind of rationalization. If my standards are unreasonably high, then it's only because I give a damn. Sue me.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-05-2007 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I know how much this owner wants to win, and while it doesn't make up for being a losing team, it eases the sting a little bit.

This team is still in transition mode. I think last year was more of a fluke year that got all of our hopes up, but the situation is what it is. Krivsky and Cast. are still in the process of cleaning up an absolute disaster. It's going to take time, and I'm willing to wait a little while longer for us to get this right.
    Last year the Central division had a lot of teams that were not very good, and that gave the false impression that the Reds were contenders or better than they really were.

This year you look at how the majority of the teams in the Central division are doing and to date they are not very good with the exception that Milwaukee is showing some life.

This years Reds are doing poorly in and against division rivals that are not very good.

Castellini and Krivsky have a lot more work to do than we realize and it will take a lot longer than we think. Counting on future players from the minors and waiting years for them to develop can keep the Reds below .500 well into the future, just as easy as the Reds going out and signing high dollar players to long term contracts that become a bust.

Castellini and Krivsky should have done a better job in 2006 using it to get ready to prepare for 2007 and come up with the right personnel. But they chose to go the discard and dumpster diving route. I just can’t share your optimism. I need constructive, consistent, positive results.

Castellini did do one thing, I vaguely recall his speech on the great new broadcasting team. We find that great new team ripping the Reds frequently now to the point of overkill. I wonder if Castellini is listening?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-05-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Sadly, I have to agree with SF. This team has been in a transitional phase for several years. I don't have any more confidence in Castellini then I did with any other owner. He talks a good game, but I haven't seen evidence that at least some of our moves aren't taking action for action's sake. Look at last year's orgy of acquisition for an example.

I hope we are improving. I don't see as much upside as some people do. I love that the starting pitching is finally consistent. If only we were able to take advantage by being good enough in the other phases of the game to compete.

Finally, I know we are still in it--way in it. And a division title would be fantastic. Even a winning season would be good. But, we play so many games in this weak division that I fear we are getting an inflated idea of where we really are.
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

Click here for FalconBlog

I agree with the original post: I like the future of this ballclub. The 2008 Cincinnati Reds could compete for a playoff spot, but 2009 is when I think this team could be dangerous. The foundation is there to build around. Adam Dunn, Josh Hamilton, Edwin Encarnacion, and Brandon Phillips are four good young players to build around on offense. In the minors we have Joey Votto who could be up as soon as July.

Jay Bruce is the best hitting prospect in the minor leagues and he could reach the majors by mid-2008. I honestly believe the Reds could call Bruce up from Sarasota right now and he would hold his own with the Reds. That's how great he is. He's currently hitting .345/.385/.646 in a pitcher's league. Chris Valaika is another potential impact bat who is projected to move quickly through the system. He's currently plays SS but some think he may move over to second base. Valaika is hitting .387/.433/.559 in the Midwest League. Another plus about him is he's a righthanded hitter, which is something the Reds lack at the major league level.

On the pitching side of things, the Reds have Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo, two of the better pitchers in the National League, locked up for the next five years. Matt Belisle is also a Red for a long time. That's 3/5th's of the rotation. In the minors you have Homer Bailey (arguably the best pitching prospect in baseball but absolutely one of the top two or three) only a phone call away from Cincy. Johnny Cueto is another stud who projects as a number two starter. Sean Watson (2.08 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 3 BB/33 K rate, 11.4 K/9) is dominating and projects to move through the system quickly.

Now on to the bullpen: Yes, the current bullpen is awful thanks to the Reds signing a bunch of old has beens, but I have to think Krivsky and co. are starting to learn their lesson: signing old veterans for the bullpen is a bad idea. Krivsky has recently acquired a decent amount of good young relievers through trades and the Rule-5 draft and now the Reds have a solid colllection of young relievers with upside: Brad Salmon, Jared Burton, Todd Coffey, and Marcus McBeth from the right side, and Billy Bray and Jon Coutlangus from the left side. Calvin Medlock and Tyler Pelland (now that he's moved to the bullpen) are two other interesting arms who could help the pen.

With that said, I'm not too thrilled with the way the team is playing right now, but I am hopeful and confident this organization is finally heading in the right direction.

our future

i was optomistic all winter but lately have soured.

1. EE is really irking me. The Reds need him to hit .280 with some power.
    Not only does he stink but his attitude is bad.

2. Ross's bat is MIA. If he can hit .250 he can be an every day catcher due to his defense/game calling. I was counting on .260 & 10+ homers.

3. I thought we had depth of decent relievers. Turns out the pen is still junk.
    This reaaly hurts. A good crop of starters with a weak offense means a lot of close games turned over to the pen.

4. 83-79 ain't gonna get it done. Last year was an oddity. This year someone in the central will win 90 games ( so far it looks like the Brewers finally are gelling )

Re: our future

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post

2. Ross's bat is MIA. If he can hit .250 he can be an every day catcher due to his defense/game calling. I was counting on .260 & 10+ homers.
    EE isn't helping with his glove, either. See: last night vs. the Rockies. Launching a ball into right when you have no chance to nail the runner is poor judgement of teh highest degree.

Ross, on the other hand, is starting to come around. I've liked what I've seen the past week or so. If he keeps it up he'll be fine.

Re: our future

i was optomistic all winter but lately have soured.

You have to wonder what came first. EE has continuously been made the whipping boy from last years month long "ankle" fiasco to the benching earlier this season. If this kid's head is messed up I have to say its team inflicted.

A big concern all off-season was the offense seemingly too dependent on Ross to provide the 4th power source. Phillips has provided some pop (to make up for the lack of it coming from EE) but is living up to his expected out machine self from an OBP standpoint. Gonzalez has been better than expected so far but is still really only a contributor during the good streaks and a drag on production the rest of the time. Hatte/Conine are workmanlike players playing a position where most teams have game changers. Ross was considered the key and his power is crucial. Many on here commented that the Reds needed another more sure bat and it still appears so.

3. I thought we had depth of decent relievers. Turns out the pen is still junk.
    This reaaly hurts. A good crop of starters with a weak offense means a lot of close games turned over to the pen.
    This was easily foreseen. Weathers was studly in the 2nd half of 2006 primarily due to an unrepeatable BABIP (.236 for the season with the second half much better than the first). His FIP for 2006 was over 5.

Cormier was leading the league in relief ERA when the Reds acquired him from Philly but again his BABIP during the stint was .232 (per FanGraphs) and his FIP was 4.61.

Stanton had a 3.99 combined ERA in 2006 whch was accumulated in pitchers parks in Washington and SF - conditions much different from Cincy.

Adding groupings of familiar names who happen to have the ball bounce the right way isn't a basis for determining a good pen. Actual skills as evidenced by K Rates, Walk Rates and HR Rates need to be examined and it was easy to see that this pen (that opened the season) was fools gold.

Add in advancing age and the increased chance of decline that goes with it and its a recipe for disaster.

There is hope if Salmon, Bray, Coffey and maybe McBeth can form the core. Coutlangus is ok in a lefty role and Weathers/Stanton can contribute in a mentor, inning filler, supporting role kind of way. From some of the statements that were made about needing hard throwers, I think the current regime is starting to get it. I expect this area to look a lot different by seasons end. It may crash and burn, but I'm encouraged by the general direction even if it is moving kind of slow.

4. 83-79 ain't gonna get it done. Last year was an oddity. This year someone in the central will win 90 games ( so far it looks like the Brewers finally are gelling )[/QUOTE]

Agreed. It will take more than 90 wins for anyone in this division to go to the playoffs. The Wildcard won't be likely to come from the central. This team lost the chance to compete in December IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-05-2007 at 10:40 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I like our chances next year.

Catcher: probably Ross
    1st Base: Joey Votto
    2nd Base: Brandon Phillips
    Short Stop: Bonzo Gonzo
    3rd Base: Edwin Encarnacion
    Left Field: Adan Dunn
    Center Field: Josh Hamilton
    Right Field: Ken Griffey

Rotation:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Belisle
    ?
    Most Vottomatic Player

I'm curious to where you are getting EE has a bad attitude from? Everything I have read/heard says he one of the hardest working guys on the team.

He's coming out of it. At this time last week he was hitting .174 with 1 XBH and 6 RBIs.

After his double last night, he's up to .222 and has 11(?) RBIs. Lucky for him, he doesn't have any legitimate option behind him anywhere near the majors.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

A big concern all off-season was the offense seemingly too dependent on Ross to provide the 4th power source. Phillips has provided some pop (to make up for the lack of it coming from EE) but is living up to his expected out machine self from an OBP standpoint. Gonzalez has been better than expected so far but is still really only a contributor doing the good streaks and a drag on production the rest of the time. Hatte/Conine are workmanlike players playing a position where most teams have game changers. Ross was considered the key and his power is crucial. Many on here commented that the Reds needed another more sure bat and it still appears so.
    Phillips is just an odd player to me. His .321 OBP and .766 OPS should make me not like him, however he still has 5 homers, 6 SBs, I believe he leads the team in RBIs, and he always seems to come up with a clutch hit. Not to mention his great D.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm curious to where you are getting EE has a bad attitude from? Everything I have read/heard says he one of the hardest working guys on the team.
    Mind readers.
    Go Gators!

The future depends on scouting, IMO. The Reds need to be better at scouting than most if they want to win on a consistant basis under the current system in MLB.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Sometimes futures come. Most don't.

Play for each season.

My guess is that as long as the Reds suck, they'll be called a team in a "transitional phase." That, to me, is a kind of rationalization. If my standards are unreasonably high, then it's only because I give a damn. Sue me.

I basically agree. At some point you have to go for it. In their best off-seasons, the Reds "sort of go for it a little." This year was like that, signing two of its current starting pitchers, three if you include Lohse, but little else. Oh yes, they added Hamilton, but at this point he is a good prospect, not a top proven player.

I'm glad there are better prospects coming up but any fan has to realize that prospects are just that. Look at EE. For all his talent, at this point the guy is a future possibility. For once I would like to root for a Reds team with Scott Rolen rather than marvel at EE's future possibilities.

Similarly, as much as I admire Narron as a baseball man, at some point you want the team to be led by a proven winner.

Contrary to the first post on this thread, I find this season rather annoying. The team is gradually -- very gradually -- trying to get better, but after seven lousy seasons is still just an "also ran" in a bad division. I can't get too excited about that status.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-05-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

He's coming out of it. At this time last week he was hitting .174 with 1 XBH and 6 RBIs.

After his double last night, he's up to .222 and has 11(?) RBIs. Lucky for him, he doesn't have any legitimate option behind him anywhere near the majors.
    his body language, facial expressions, lack of hustle.

Turn Off Ads?