Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we trade or re-sign Adam Dunn?

Should we trade or re-sign Adam Dunn?

Adam Dunn is in the last year of his contract. After this year, he will become a free agent at the end of the year. We all know Adam Dunns history. He will walk a lot,strike out a lot, hit a lot of homers, and give you 90-100 rbis. This year he seems to have improved as a player, at least short-term. He is hitting the other way, hitting for average , and even stealing bases . My very long point is-should we try and re-sign him-to a short deal or a long one; or should we see what we can get for him at the trading deadline. His salary is around 12 million and will only go up from there. I would sign him to a short -term deal until we see if he has truly improved as a hitter. If we cant re-sign him, lets see what we can get for him at the trading deadline.:dunn:

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should we trade or re-sign Adam Dunn?

Personally, I wouldd trade him. Not because I dont like him, but because we cant afford to pay him what he will be asking. Adam Dunn is going to get a 4 or 5 year deal in the 14 million a year range on the open market. The Reds simply cant afford to pay him that with the defense he plays. I like Dunn and what he does, strikeouts or not.... but he will no longer be worth the money. It sucks that we have no one to replace him in the line up really, but I wouldnt overpay for multiple years because of that.

There are alot of variables like A. what he is asking and B. what we can get for him in the trade market.

With all things being equal, I would lean toward what Doug said, and trade him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I think it depends if you believe the Killer B's(Bailey/Bruce) prophecy or not. If you do, you better get Dunn resigned because the Reds may be ready to compete as early as next year, though maybe more like 2009. That isn't that long. Dunn should be at his top.

I think if you move Dunn, similar to what made Kearns available in trade, you have the chance to drastically leap toward the improvement of the club that is consistent with Krivsky's clear vision. I think it is safe to say he would prefer better defense and speed. While he doesn't have another Adam Dunn in the system (power and OBP) -- he has people who are cheaper who bring many more aspects to the table that Dunn will never have (and that Krivsky cherishes).

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Make threads like these stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I think it depends if you believe the Killer B's(Bailey/Bruce) prophecy or not. If you do, you better get Dunn resigned because the Reds may be ready to compete as early as next year, though maybe more like 2009. That isn't that long. Dunn should be at his top.
    Good points Aronchis. Adam Dunn is a very valuable piece for a team wanting to contend. Obviously the salary would have to work, but there is quite a bit of money coming off the table in the next few years.

Dunn is only a FA after this year if the Reds choose to not pick up his option.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Dunn is only a FA after this year if the Reds choose to not pick up his option.
    Very true.... but is Adam Dunn worth 13 million dollars? I am not so sure he is. I think where we are in June is going to really be a big factor in whether or not he stays a Red. If Krivsky sees us as not competing in 2007, but as being able to compete in 2008 with a few minor upgrades, I bet we see Adam Dunn wearing another uniform in August 2007 and some major league ready guys back in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Very true.... but is Adam Dunn worth 13 million dollars?
    At least that...especially in the current MLB market.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Dunn makes $10.5 million this year with an option $13 million for 2008. Trading him will only be an option if the Reds are way out of it close to the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    At least that...especially in the current MLB market.
    I just cant see it, If the Reds dont pick up his option I dont think he sniffs 10 million a year.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

I'd try to trade Griffey first who only has one year left on his contract after this, and if he's healthy, will have value at the trading deadline. Will he accept a trade? If the Reds are not contenders, I can't see why he wouldn't. He has a limited number of shots left to get a ring, and he is at the point where his next injury could be career-ending. I'd pick up Dunn's option--he's a player on the upcurve.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

If the Reds don't pick up his option, that'll be the move to make everyone forget about the Kearns/Lopez trade.

Instead, we'll be talking about how stupid the Reds are/were for not picking up his option.

I was unaware he still had an option;I thought this was his last year.:fineprint

Turn Off Ads?