Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Spidey 3

Spidey 3

DISCLAIMER: If you haven't see the movie yet, stop here.

Just got back from taking my kids to see it. I give it a 2 1/2 star rating. It was a good movie; but as my 11 year old aptly said when I asked him what he thought.... "Too much romance and not enough action". And I can see that, looking from a kid's standpoint. It was geared more for the adult comic book fan/geek, then for kids IMO.

I have to admit that I while I was an avid comic book fan/collector in the 60's, I didn't really follow the evolution (and addition) of some of these characters, such as Venom, Harry Osbourne, etc into the 70s/80s. I thought the plot/storyline though was pretty solid. But again, not too appealing/attention holding for kids. The last 30 minutes, the final battle with the Venom symbiote and the Sandman, was pretty solid.

I also thought Peter Parker's personality "transformation" by the alien symbiote was pretty cornball. It turned him into John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever dancing and gyrating through the streets.

But the whole movie was Peter Parker fighting his own "demons".

I will say this though..... Bryce Dallas Howard (Ron Howard's daughter) is a blonde hottie in this one.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-05-2007 at 07:52 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Spidey 3

I'm going to see this movie tomorrow. I can't wait. I'm really looking forward to seeing Venom. He wouldn't have been my first choice for a villian though.

I thought it was amazing. Emo-haired, scene-ish Peter Parked was funny and cool.

I noticed Parker's one-armed college professor DR Conners was in this one as well. I'm wondering if the Lizard will be in any future sequels? I think it would be hard to do personally.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

My wife and I took our two younger sons (ages 9 and 14) and a neighbor's kid (also around age 9) to see Spiderman 3 last Friday. We all enjoyed it. GAC is correct-there probably isn't as much "action" in this Spidey movie as some may expect, but that didn't bother me as I find a lot of "superhero" CG created action to be repetitive and boring. I'd give it at least 3 stars, maybe more. Good cast.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Just got back from taking my kids to see it. I give it a 2 1/2 star rating. It was a good movie; but as my 11 year old aptly said when I asked him what he thought.... "Too much romance and not enough action". And I can see that, looking from a kid's standpoint. It was geared more for the adult comic book fan/geek, then for kids IMO.

I have to admit that I while I was an avid comic book fan/collector in the 60's, I didn't really follow the evolution (and addition) of some of these characters, such as Venom, Harry Osbourne, etc into the 70s/80s. I thought the plot/storyline though was pretty solid. But again, not too appealing/attention holding for kids. The last 30 minutes, the final battle with the Venom symbiote and the Sandman, was pretty solid.

I also thought Peter Parker's personality "transformation" by the alien symbiote was pretty cornball. It turned him into John Travolta from Saturday Night Fever dancing and gyrating through the streets.

I will say this though..... Bryce Dallas Howard (Ron Howard's daughter) is a blonde hottie in this one.
    Sounds like Spidey 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Really boring movie and they tried to do WAY to much. Too many bad guys, too much talking, not enough action.

Unless you really want to see it I'd save your money and wait 3 weeks for Pirates.

They tried to do too much. This should have been two movies. There wasn't nearly enough time for any of the villains, especially Brock/Venom. The movie was amusing, but ultra-cheesy at times (e.g. Sandman's accidental transformation, the way the symbiote gets to Earth, Sandman and Venom's meeting, and Sandman's disappearance at the end).

I really liked Bruce Campbell's cameo.

Senor Votto

I loved the movie. One of my favorites of recent memory

I think Buckeye and pahster nailed it..... they tried to do too much in this movie, tried to cram too much in, which didn't really give much time for super-villan character development. I liked the villans. Just wish there had been more of them.

It just seemed they are trying to put way too much emphasis on Parker and GF's relationship. I thought that way with the second one.

Overall it was a good movie. I just expected more. When I was a kid reading comic books, I did so for the action - the super hero vs super bad guy - and not the super heroe's love interests or relationships. I knew Superman and Lois Lane had a thing. Just didn't care about reading about relationship building. Those existed, but were secondary to the storyline for the most part.
    Last edited by GAC; 05-07-2007 at 08:39 PM.

2 1/2 stars from me, too. I actually expected it to be worse.

Too many villians and too much time spent on personal problems (same for Spidey 2). They should have picked a villian and spent time building that storyline.

On the up-side, the action was good. In all 3 movies, the movements are very close to what I imagined as a kid reading the comic.

Really weak compared to the first two, but still not a terrible two hours.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    They tried to do too much. This should have been two movies. There wasn't nearly enough time for any of the villains, especially Brock/Venom. The movie was amusing, but ultra-cheesy at times (e.g. Sandman's accidental transformation, the way the symbiote gets to Earth, Sandman and Venom's meeting, and Sandman's disappearance at the end).

I really liked Bruce Campbell's cameo.
    Makes me wonder whether or not Sandman really died.

Saw it earlier today and i'm with the majority. This really should have been split into two movies. With the way the movie ended, more than likely I'd say there will be a fourth installment, even though this one kinda jumped the shark.

The main disappointment for me was Topher Grace as Eddie Brock. Brock was always portrayed as a punk, yet scrawny little Eric Forman is playing the bad guy in the movie. Maybe its the image of That 70s Show, but I was waiting on Red Forman to come out and say the word that made him famous.(This is a family board, so I won't say it.)
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

If you don't want to be spoiled, i'd suggest reading past what im about to say.

I did enjoy the part where Peter and Gwen were dancing at the jazz club where Mary Jane was singing. The kiss by Spiderman and Gwen I kinda laughed through as well, especially the little kid going "Don't do it Spidey".

Turn Off Ads?