Turn Off Ads?

Thread: K Looking vs. K Swinging

Can he be stopped?

K Looking vs. K Swinging

Quick question - for a strikeout pitcher, which is more common, a K or a backwards K? Watching Harang, he gets a lot of his strikes with his nasty slider bottoming out on people. Of his eight strikeouts yesterday, either 5 or 6 of them were swigning. Is this normal of strikeout pitchers, or is it usually a more even ratio?
    Tom Shearn... who knew?

Reds reccord when I attend in 2007: 6-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: K Looking vs. K Swinging

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    Quick question - for a strikeout pitcher, which is more common, a K or a backwards K? Watching Harang, he gets a lot of his strikes with his nasty slider bottoming out on people. Of his eight strikeouts yesterday, either 5 or 6 of them were swigning. Is this normal of strikeout pitchers, or is it usually a more even ratio?
    Good question. I think there are lots of variables here. It might be more interesting to look at this statistic as it pertains to individual umpires.

After years of watching the game, I'd bet established pitchers get a lot more backward K's.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Wow great question.

I'd rather you look at someone from the left hand side of the mound as well. Like Cole Hamels, whom I'm sure the splits (due to that change up) would look good with.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ch...php?chatId=287

Here is a chart for 2006 comparing the number of strike outs looking versus the number of strike outs swinging. It lists ever major league team. From this chart it seems like just about 1 out of every 4 strike outs are looking. Hope this helps.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

There seems to be somewhat of a correlation between the percentage of strike 3s taken and walking. Probably no surprise there. The more pitches you take the more walks you are likely to receive. Here are how the major league teams did when comparing % of strike outs looking to where that team ranked in number of walks received. The four teams who took the fewest percentage of called third strikes were also the four teams who took the fewest free passes.

Code:
    Team:  RNK-BB%K-Look
    Oakland	 2      32
    Arizona	17	28
    Colo	10	28
    Philly	 4	28
    San Die	9	28
    Balt	24	27
    Boston  1	27
    Houston  8	27
    LA Dodg	6	27
    Minn   22	27