Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tell me what you think about this?

Tell me what you think about this?

OK, I have been thinking about this Dunn thing and thinking about ways to improve our team and one player has been sticking out at me for a few years as a guy that is an incredible hitter, can play OF or 3rd, plays on a team that will pay no one and has to be coming to the point where he can leave as a free agent if they don't pay him. He also plays for a team that almost always trades guys before they leave in free agency. Do you know who I'm talking about? I bet you do.

My trade would be this. I know, from last season that they have some interest in EE. WHat if we make a three team trade that sends Dunn to a team for prospects that the Marlins want and send those prospects to Florida along with EE for Miguel Cabrera. I would have no problem paying that guy 15 million or more per year. I have a feeling that some team is going to step in and get a bargain in him. I know that the Marlins havn't wanted to trade him but for how many more years is he under contract for $300,000? If he realy has more than 1-2 years left someone please tell me how this is possible?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tell me what you think about this?

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    OK, I have been thinking about this Dunn thing and thinking about ways to improve our team and one player has been sticking out at me for a few years as a guy that is an incredible hitter, can play OF or 3rd, plays on a team that will pay no one and has to be coming to the point where he can leave as a free agent if they don't pay him. He also plays for a team that almost always trades guys before they leave in free agency. Do you know who I'm talking about? I bet you do.

My trade would be this. I know, from last season that they have some interest in EE. WHat if we make a three team trade that sends Dunn to a team for prospects that the Marlins want and send those prospects to Florida along with EE for Miguel Cabrera. I would have no problem paying that guy 15 million or more per year. I have a feeling that some team is going to step in and get a bargain in him. I know that the Marlins havn't wanted to trade him but for how many more years is he under contract for $300,000? If he realy has more than 1-2 years left someone please tell me how this is possible?
    Cabrera just turned 24. . . yes. . .24. He's still a very young guy who probably signed a 6-7 year contract when he first signed with the Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post

I think Miguel is making quite the bit of cash as we speak. Personally, I dont think any prospect Dunn brings ALONE gets you Cabrera. Cabrera is a much better player than Dunn all around.

Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    Pos: 3B
    Experience: 4 years
    2007 Salary: $7,400,000
    College: N/A
    Last edited by Dracodave; 05-06-2007 at 11:02 PM.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    I think Miguel is making quite the bit of cash as we speak. Personally, I dont think any prospect Dunn brings ALONE gets you Cabrera. Cabrera is a much better player than Dunn all around.

Well, he did say to send Dunn to a team for prospects, then send the prospects and EE to Florida for Miguel Cabrera. I say that's an awful steep price to pay for Cabrera. Essientially it's Dunn and EE for Cabrera. And I'm not sure the Reds would be able to break the bank long term to sign him.

Can he be stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post

That's why he's suggesting the prospects dunn nets AND Edwin. I don't know if that would do it either, I'm just clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Well, he did say to send Dunn to a team for prospects, then send the prospects and EE to Florida for Miguel Cabrera. I say that's an awful steep price to pay for Cabrera. Essientially it's Dunn and EE for Cabrera. And I'm not sure the Reds would be able to break the bank long term to sign him.
    If they could sign him long-term, I would do this trade in a second. Cabrera would give us a player to build around for a LONG time. He's that good. I'd kill for the opportunity to have Hamilton and Cabrera play together for the Reds for the next 6-7 years.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Dunner44 View Post
    That's why he's suggesting the prospects dunn nets AND Edwin. I don't know if that would do it either, I'm just clarifying.
    And Im suggeting that Dunn doesn't net you the prospects even with Edwin added to get into a conversation about Cabrera. Everyone here has problems with Dunn. Obvious his level of play (walking and homerun hitting) and his level of (or lack there of) defense hampers his value. Oddly, he's only worth it to a American League team using that train of though (as a very good DH)

Now what American league team trade for Dunn? Well, good question.

And foremost better question..

Why not trade Dunn for said prospects and just keep them and Edwin making us the better team?

Think of our problems more than just "Edwin sucks, so lets trade him and Dunn for Miggy! Lets ignore the lack of depth in our minors!"
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    If they could sign him long-term, I would do this trade in a second. Cabrera would give us a player to build around for a LONG time. He's that good. I'd kill for the opportunity to have Hamilton and Cabrera play together for the Reds for the next 6-7 years.
    After looking at this for a bit, Cabrera's fielding stats at 3b (excellent), and thinking about Votto, Bruce, and Hamilton being LH, this wouldn't be a bad deal. You'd have to get 2-3 darn good prospects for Dunn for Florida to consider it though. And you'd absolutley, positively HAVE to sign Carbrera for like 6 years. I'd give him 6 years at $90-100 million if Castellini thinks he can afford it. He's been very, very durable, and has cut down on his K's every year as well.

I could be crazy but imho Cabrera is a premier hitter (maybe just 1" behind Pujols) and well worth more than $15 million per year. If we'd talk of trading Dunn for Lidge and EE for Ervin Santana I would definitely rather have Cabrera than both of those 2. You get to get something out of Dunn (Instead of having to pay him more than you want or losing him for nada) and you get to upgrade 3rd base far more than EE could possibly develop into. I just don't think that Florida will ever pay him what he will be demanding and they could get EE for not much salary along with probably a couple of pretty good prospects that they wouldn't have to pay much to either. Dunn's left handed bat with serious power #s will draw much attention from an American league playoff contender that could use him as a very big DH bat. I just think that this year is the year to move the 2. I don't want to take any chance that EE is a complete bust and hopefully he improves his #s a bit over the next couple of months. Dunn has definitely peaked and will never draw more value than this year.

Seems like we're all agreed that Cabrera should be a Red. Who wants to call Wayne and Bob?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Wayne would have to go out and have "a few" drinks with Beinfest to get him to trade Cabrera. And by "a few" drinks, I mean roughly 27 beers.

Florida isn't stupid. Remember they traded Beckett, who is a player I would guess is comparable to Cabrera in trade value, for probably the best SS in the NL not named Reyes and also a good starting pitcher. In order to get a guy like Cabrera I think you would have to part with Bruce. I think a trade of Bruce and EE would net Cabrera but I would guess he would leave for big $ once his contract was up.

Turn Off Ads?