Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Bo Jackson?

  1. #1
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,913

    Bo Jackson?

    Why does Narron compare Hamilton to Bo Jackson? Jackson was a strikeout machine with poor BA, and his fielding skills were not nearly as refined as Josh's. I see a guy who can steal bases and hit 30HRs, but the comparison ends there...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    8,214

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Why does Narron compare Hamilton to Bo Jackson?
    Because Narron doesn't know what he's talking about.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

  4. #3
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,702

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    All about tools.
    Go Gators!

  5. #4
    Member Eric_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    5,041

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Bo Jackson was a freak of nature. Maybe he's referencing Hamilton in that way.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

  6. #5
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,196

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    I think the sheer raw natural power. Buck O'Neill talked about Jackson in Ken Burns' series on baseball saying he'd only heard three players whose bats hitting a ball made a distinctive sound when the ball was going out - Babe Ruth, Josh Gibson & Bo Jackson.

  7. #6
    Maple SERP savafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    17,568

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    The thing about Bo is that we'll never really know how good he could have been. He was continuing to improve as a baseball player each year when he had the hip injury while playing for the Raiders. Sad...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

  8. #7
    Member Eric_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    5,041

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    The thing about Jackson is he proved that you can't play two sports. He wore down every year as the season went on, and though he had great range because of his speed in the outfield he just didn't practice enough and made a zillion errors defensively. He never had phenomenal numbers, just decent ones.

    If he hadn't played football, the talent was there to be one of the greatest ever in baseball, but football took a lot of it away, and eventually all of it.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

  9. #8
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,756

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    The thing about Bo is that we'll never really know how good he could have been. He was continuing to improve as a baseball player each year when he had the hip injury while playing for the Raiders. Sad...
    Guess which team he playing against on Jan. 13, 1991 when the hip was injured?

    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  10. #9
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Guess which team he playing against on Jan. 13, 1991 when the hip was injured?

    WHO???
















    DEY!!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  11. #10
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,756

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Bo knows diddly... and so does Redhook!
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  12. #11
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    The thing about Jackson is he proved that you can't play two sports. He wore down every year as the season went on, and though he had great range because of his speed in the outfield he just didn't practice enough and made a zillion errors defensively. He never had phenomenal numbers, just decent ones.

    If he hadn't played football, the talent was there to be one of the greatest ever in baseball, but football took a lot of it away, and eventually all of it.
    I thought he proved you could play two sports. He was a good baseball player, sometimes very good. Baseball wasn't his natural sport though. Football was.

    If anything, he should've quit baseball to play football full-time. He was an unbelievable running back and a much, much better football player than baseball player. One of the top 5 running backs I've ever seen. If he was a full-time running back I think he would only be behind Brown, Peyton, and Sanders. He was that good.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  13. #12
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Actually, the comparison was athletically, not as a ballplayer.

    "He can be as good as anybody in the game," said Narron, who compares Hamilton's athletic ability to that of Bo Jackson.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  14. #13
    Member Marc D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,776

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Actually, the comparison was athletically, not as a ballplayer.

    "He can be as good as anybody in the game," said Narron, who compares Hamilton's athletic ability to that of Bo Jackson.

    I would agree with that. Bo was the first name that came to mind once I saw Hamilton with my own two eyes.

    You can literally see that they are another plane athletically and for me at least thats quite a draw. When a player like that comes along, they just jump off the screen at you and you can't take your eyes off them. The Freel's and Ecksteins of the world just don't have the same entertainment value, even though they are obviously worthy of admiration.

    BTW how does one come to the conclusion that Bo showed you can't play both sports? He was an All Star in both, what else did he have to do to prove it? Bo Jackson did show how lame others attempt(cough*Dieon*cough) to play both sports was, I'll give you that.

  15. #14
    Member Eric_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    5,041

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    I thought he proved you could play two sports. He was a good baseball player, sometimes very good. Baseball wasn't his natural sport though. Football was.

    If anything, he should've quit baseball to play football full-time. He was an unbelievable running back and a much, much better football player than baseball player. One of the top 5 running backs I've ever seen. If he was a full-time running back I think he would only be behind Brown, Peyton, and Sanders. He was that good.

    I agree with everything but that he proved that you can't play two sports. Instead of being great or "one of the greatest" at one of them, he was only good, sometimes very good at both. He would have been great at whichever sport he would have chosen.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

  16. #15
    Member Eric_Davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Portland, Or
    Posts
    5,041

    Re: Bo Jackson?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    BTW how does one come to the conclusion that Bo showed you can't play both sports? He was an All Star in both, what else did he have to do to prove it? Bo Jackson did show how lame others attempt(cough*Dieon*cough) to play both sports was, I'll give you that.

    Very easily. He was an All-Star only once. There's nothing great or even very good about that.

    When you look at his splits over his career, he steadily declines as each season wears on. He committed more errors than Jose Canseco.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25