Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Josh Hamilton after this season

Josh Hamilton after this season

What exactly happens with Josh Hamilton after this season? I mean how does his contract status work out after the rule 5 thing? Also, is anyone worried that if he continues on his sensational parade that the Reds will be too cheap to sign him and we will lose him to a team with more money (or at least one who spends it better). When I think of what we have tied up in Dunn, Junior and Milton I get sick

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Josh Hamilton after this season

Hamilton is under our control for quite some time. This is his first year in MLB. I believe he has two more years until he is actually arbitration eligible, unless he qualifies as a "Super Two."

Regardless, he'll be a Red for at least 5 more years.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Does he have options - cause we should send him to the minors if he has options.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

He is just like Encarncion was last year. First year player and the MLB clock starts ticking towared year 5 where free agency looms.

Josh will be very cheap for the next 3 years and then arbitration and then free agency. He is no different than any other rookie in baseball today.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Does he have options - cause we should send him to the minors if he has options.

Pipe down there, Steve Phillips
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Can we re-work his contract though, cause if we could we could stop the arbitration clock and pay him only minor league meal money too.

Is that right?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Pipe down there, Steve Phillips
    Don't tell me what to do Grandpa.

Now, take your walker and go stand on some street corner and wait for some boy scout to walk you across the street.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Don't tell me what to do Grandpa.

Now, take your walker and go stand on some street corner and wait for some boy scout to walk you across the street.

I would, but I'm waiting on your mama.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

So what happens to Josh after the season? While at times he appears to be a finished product he has a few rough edges. Do you just send him back home like a veteran player or do you have him play winter ball somewhere or even the AFL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    So what happens to Josh after the season? While at times he appears to be a finished product he has a few rough edges. Do you just send him back home like a veteran player or do you have him play winter ball somewhere or even the AFL?
    I would say it depends on how the seasonb goes. If Narron doesn't run him into the ground I would say winter ball would help him alot. With what this kid has been through in life I would say he is more than happy to stay busy at all times.

Because Josh is a Rule 5 draftee, he has to stay on the major league roster all year (or spend at least 90 days on it and the rest of the season on the DL).

After the year is over, the Reds are free to treat him like any other player.

Because he's been suspended for about four years, Josh still has all three of his options remaining, so the Reds could send him down after this season if they wish.

Because this is his first year in the majors, the Reds hold his rights for this season and the five that follow it.

After Josh accumulates about three years of major league service time, he'll be eligible for salary arbitration. Until then, the Reds can renew his contract each season for any amount the team wishes. (Major league minimum salary for this season is $380,000, rising to $390,000 next year and $400,000 in '09.)
    Makes all the routine posts.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I would, but I'm waiting on your mama.
    Hey, quit using that fake screen name, oldtimer...
    sorry we're boring

If Josh stays on the ML roster all season then he property of the Reds as if he had come up through the Reds system.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?