Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jason Davis

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Jason Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    There will be decent bidding for Mr. Davis's services; I'd go as high as Valaika for him.
    I thought the same thing about Phillips last year, and he didn't cost us anything.

But I wouldn't lowball Cleveland . I expect with the shortages of pitching everywhere, an arm like Davis' won't go unnoticed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wasnt there a Jason Davis here last year?

EDIT: I was thinking Jason Johnson.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Valaika for Davis? Crazy.

Davis would be a good pickup. Good call AK.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Valaika for Davis? Crazy.

Davis would be a good pickup. Good call AK.
    Agreed.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

Davis was very promising when he came up, so much so that I mentioned him a couple times as a trade possibility. However, Davis was rushed, called up after just a few games at AA. Has great stuff, but does not miss bats. They moved him to the pen and he has been ok, but never lived up to the promise. Purely a middle/long as he is now but still worth a shot. He will not improve the pen in the short-term however.

Get him somehow.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Davis walked a couple batters after entering with the bases loaded, that seems to have been the final straw. The kid they called up, Mujica, could be a good one.

Here is a decent overview of Davis from a tribe forum (btw there is a rumor there that Davis is headed to Oakland): Don't bring him in with runners on. He throws a sinking fastball in the low 90s and a straight high 90s fastball. His command is spotty and there are times where he just can't throw a strike to save his life. He was a starter as a rookie and had a decent year, has been moved back and forth between starting, long relief and middle relief. He needs to pitch consistently to maintain his command
    Last edited by Bill; 05-07-2007 at 10:33 PM.

Davis looks like more of the same to me, opponents are hitting .300 off of him and he walks too many batters. If you are going to make a move and it is a hardthrower with a live arm, don't we have a few of those in house at AAA and AA. This team needs a closer, Cordero, Linebrink, etc... That is the move to be made. The question than becomes what would you give up.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Davis looks like more of the same to me, opponents are hitting .300 off of him and he walks too many batters.
    That's true if you look at this year's small sample size.

Last year he had a BB/9 of 2.28. Davis is capable of pitching with good control.

There are basically zero pitchers currently in the system that are capable of throwing 97 MPH per good control. I bet he would be our 2nd best (and maybe the best) reliever in our pen right now.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    There are basically zero pitchers currently in the system that are capable of throwing 97 MPH per good control. I bet he would be our 2nd best (and maybe the best) reliever in our pen right now.
    Throwing 97 is a means to an end, not an end in itself. However hard he throws, he's never really missed a lot of bats. He's a good example of the pitcher that looks like he should be better than he is. Just having turned 27, he's not really a kid that you can expect to get a lot better, either. Hope, yes; expect, no.

That said, if we could acquire him inexpensively, I'm all for it.
    Not all who wander are lost

I read that the A's picked Davis up.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I read that the A's picked Davis up.
    who would have thought that.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    who would have thought that.
    Says a little something about the A's opinion of McBeth maybe? It doesn't have to--maybe Davis just replaces McBeth on the contingency depth chart, but it's interesting.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Says a little something about the A's opinion of McBeth maybe? It doesn't have to--maybe Davis just replaces McBeth on the contingency depth chart, but it's interesting.
    Do the A's owe us another PTBNL? Maybe this is it?
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

I wonder if they traded Denorfia for him?
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?