Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Hamilton make the HOF?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can Hamilton make the HOF?

While it's obviously very early in Hamilton's career, I still think it's fun to specualte on what kind of great achievements the guy can accomplish. I started thinking about it after I read this part from the Enquirer, or more specifically, Bill Koch:

"He's just a treat to watch out there," Freel said. "He's opening a lot of people's eyes. I'm his biggest fan. I knew he had this ability in him. This guy can play.

"If his timing was where it should have been and he was up here when he should have been up here, I really think he could have been a Hall of Fame player. That's the kind of talent he has."

Maybe Hamilton has started too late to reach that level, but Narron says there are no limits to what he can achieve in his career.
    Has Hamilton started out too late to put up HOF numbers? What if he's able to average 35-40 HRs/yr over the next 10-12 years with gold glove defense, .300+ average, and multiple All-Star appearances? Of course he'd actually have to do all that, but if he did I got to think that would be enough to get into the HOF. I'd like to hear some input as to what everyone else thinks.

Senor Votto

Re: Can Hamilton make the HOF?

If he keeps hitting like he has been.

Haunted by walks

It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Stats.

It's possible.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    If that were true he'd already be in there because of his story.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    If by that you mean that "fame," not "stats", is the standard by which a candidate's chances for HOF induction are to be judged, then Don Larsen, Johnny Vander Meer, Roger Maris and Bobby Thomson would be in the Hall of Fame.
    Hamilton's HOF chances are very slim at this point and it is way, way too premature to really evaluate his chances, but he's only 25 years old. He certainly could still have a HOF worthy career, but it would have to be primarily because of spectacular peak seasons rather than huge career numbers, the hitter equivalent of Sandy Koufax rather than Warren Spahn.
    Jackie Robinson made the HOF despite not making the majors until age 28. Yes, Jackie made the HOF in large part to his having broken the color line, but his stats themselves were HOF worthy. Based solely upon his on-field performance, at his peak Jackie Robinson was one the half dozen or so greatest secondbasemen ever. He would have been worthy of the HOF had he merely been another white ballplayer.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The answer is the probability is extremely small.

Worth The Wait

Hall of Fame? Why stop there?

Maybe he should make a run at the Oval Office?

Let's give him a tad more time folks.....

I may be wrong, but there must be quite a few players in the HOF who started their careers at around age 25. Sure, Hamilton missed out on a few years because of the addiction, but he's still pretty young in baseball terms. Of course, it's WAY premature to be talking about this stuff. But yeah, if he stays healthy, I see him as having as good a chance as the next extremely-talented 25 year-old OF. You never know what the years ahead will bring, but he seems to be beyond flukedom at this point, right?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I may be wrong, but there must be quite a few players in the HOF who started their careers at around age 25. Sure, Hamilton missed out on a few years because of the addiction, but he's still pretty young in baseball terms. Of course, it's WAY premature to be talking about this stuff. But yeah, if he stays healthy, I see him as having as good a chance as the next extremely-talented 25 year-old OF. You never know what the years ahead will bring, but he seems to be beyond flukedom at this point, right?
    Super Joe Charbonneau says
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Speculation, fun...whatever you call it, I can't believe this discussion is even being had.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Speculation, fun...whatever you call it, I can't believe this discussion is even being had.
    You are correct. What we really need to be discussing is Can Homer Bailey make the HOF? Hamilton's a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I figured there would be some response like this. Obviously, his one good month+ doesn't mean there should be HOF talk. I just found it curious that Freel said Hamilton started too late, as in he won't ever be able to get in the HOF. I simply wanted some others' opinions as to whether they agreed or not. I thought I had made myself clear in my original post, but apparently not.

Are we seriously discussing wether a player with a month's MLB experience can make the HOF?

As far as can someone who is a rookie at 25 be a HOF player I say yes. I think you need 10 great seasons and he could do that. Griffey was a HOF player after 10 seasons in Seattle although he was a rookie at 19. Scouts have said Hamilton was in Griffey's class as a prospect coming out of HS so I don't see why Hamilton couldn't but the much better question to ask is can Hamilton have a long career without revisiting his deamons.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    Are we seriously discussing wether a player with a month's MLB experience can make the HOF?
    Can you seriously question whether we can seriously discuss any matter of the utmost inconsequence?
    It is not our right to argue, propose, disagree, rebut, retool or castigate anyone for the offense of unseriousness. We are here, first and foremost, to have fun, and seriousness should never be taken seriously around here.
    Seriously

Turn Off Ads?