Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Ban: First Weekend Reactions

Re: Smoking Ban: First Weekend Reactions

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post

Oh well I don't smoke anyway, so it doesn't really effect me one way or another. I just don't like the idea of the government forcing business owners to do something because the business owners that wanted it were afraid to do it on their own. And I probably shouldn't take this any further on this website for I don't want to risk breaking the rules.
    It doesn't matter if you don't smoke, this does effect you. Especially when you consider that the lower the income and education level, the lower the likelihood of a person having health insurance...and the higher the likelihood of them being a smoker. I pay health insurance premiums, rather high ones, to subsidize the costs of those smokers who end up in the hospital with illnesses related to smoking.

So, while I am also uncomfortable with government forcing the issue, I can see the public good in a smoking ban. The spillover costs of all that smoking are coming right out of my pocket.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It doesn't matter if you don't smoke, this does effect you. Especially when you consider that the lower the income and education level, the lower the likelihood of a person having health insurance...and the higher the likelihood of them being a smoker. I pay health insurance premiums, rather high ones, to subsidize the costs of those smokers who end up in the hospital with illnesses related to smoking.
    Then isn't the answer to make smoking of tobacco illegal?

Supreme Jar Opener

I don't get it... I haven't been to a restaurant in Ohio that allowed smoking in YEARS... But now, more families are going to restaurants because of the smoking ban in bars? That doesn't make sense to me. People need to get out more, and develop a world view on their own, instead of letting CNN and the Nightly News develop it for them....

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I pay health insurance premiums, rather high ones, to subsidize the costs of those smokers who end up in the hospital with illnesses related to smoking.
    No, you are paying rather high health insurance premiums because that's how insurance companies make their money...

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Communist!

Seriously, I think smoking kills people. But it's also a huge, huge business and it has a long history in this country...and in humankind. Banning it won't work, just like it doesn't prevent people from smoking weed. I'd rather tax the heck out of it to pay for the spillover in the hope that we become collectively wiser over time (and that it will just fade away eventually).
    And of course, there is the Asian market for RJR, so it probably won't hurt business here.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Never happen thanks to sin tax income and the power of the tobacco lobby.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Okay so the restaurant owners that want the ban don't want the smokers smoking in there building but they do want their business. It's not fair if that smoker can go to a restaurant that allows smoking and spend his money. But when it comes down to it that restaurant owner is going to choose the money over clean air. So they get the government to force the other restaurants to do what they wouldn't even do themselves on their own.

So now you've got restaurants collecting money to pay the smoking fines. Why couldn't the restaurant owners who wanted the ban collect money to pay for the loss of business from smokers going to other restaurants? Wouldn't clean air be worth it to the non-smoking patrons?

Oh well I don't smoke anyway, so it doesn't really effect me one way or another. I just don't like the idea of the government forcing business owners to do something because the business owners that wanted it were afraid to do it on their own. And I probably shouldn't take this any further on this website for I don't want to risk breaking the rules.
    I guess the Invisible Hand has failed us again, eh?
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Glad to see a law was passed so you wouldn't get your favorite clothes dirty.
    yep.

And the air is cleaner, my eyes don't water, my nose doesn't run, my sinuses don't become congested, and my hair and clothes don't reek.

And the only price to pay was that the smokers have to take their cancer sticks outside?

Cry me a river.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

What do you go to a restaurant for anyway, to eat or smoke? My mother complained vehemently about the ban and I asked her that question. Maybe it's because I don't smoke, but I never understook why people absolutely must have that cigarette at the restaurant table. Don't they have enough self control to just do without one for that few minutes before the meal arrives?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Don't they have enough self control to just do without one for that few minutes before the meal arrives?
    In a word, no.
    My wife hasn't smoked for nearly twenty years and she says the urge to smoke after a meal can still be nearly unbearable.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I haven's smoked a cigarette in over 2 months....as against the ban as I still am (based on the principle of it), I have to admit....it's kind of nice. The bar I usually hang out at has been non-smoking since the end of February, which is when I quit, and that has helped me.

However, I have been to other bars, in which smoking was still allowed...

Now I think they flat out stink....(the smoke, not the bars)

Last edited by Matt700wlw; 05-08-2007 at 03:46 PM.

I can't wait for Portland to enact a smoking ban.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I love it. Take the simplest example that probably everyone on this board has done: a meal at Frisch's. Due to their target market, they could never ban smoking as a company policy but they weren't equipped to deal with it either. There are no barriers to separate the smokering area from the non smoking area and actually it was hard to tell the difference. There are generally a lot of kids eating there as well. Taking smoking out of that setting greatly improves an otherwise unworkable situation.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    yep.

And the air is cleaner, my eyes don't water, my nose doesn't run, my sinuses don't become congested, and my hair and clothes don't reek.

And the only price to pay was that the smokers have to take their cancer sticks outside?

Cry me a river.
    Hey, as long as you are happy and taken care of.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 05-08-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I can't wait for Portland to enact a smoking ban.
    Portland doesn't have a smoking ban? Color me totally surprised by that.

Turn Off Ads?