Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking Ban: First Weekend Reactions

Re: Smoking Ban: First Weekend Reactions

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    And that, my friends, is that you should always pay attention to which beer bottle you're reaching for when you're drinking with dippers. And never, ever, pull a "Spalding."
    A couple years ago my brother left his "spit can" (pepsi can) out on my coffee table. My wife thought it was her Pepsi and took a nice big swallow. She's Mexican and can get pretty angry at times, I was clearing the furniture because when it happened I thought they were going to rumble, but surprisingly she threw up and then kind of laughed about it, my brother hasn't dipped at my house since then.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    How often? Because the bread-and-butter of any bar are the regulars who are there 5 or 6 nights a week. And they smoke.
    Easily 2-3 times a week for me, pub culture is a big part of the PDX scene, and places that are smoky tend to be either "old man" bars like Moe's Tavern or Hipster Doofus joints where all the guys have haircuts like the characters in the Hot Wheels Cartoon from the 70's. Folks drag their kids to the pub by Pedro's for dinner and lounging on the porch and lawn out front, all smoking occurs in the open air.

Hipster Doofus
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    ... where all the guys have haircuts like the characters in the Hot Wheels Cartoon from the 70's. ....
    The mind reels.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The mind reels.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It doesn't matter if you don't smoke, this does effect you. Especially when you consider that the lower the income and education level, the lower the likelihood of a person having health insurance...and the higher the likelihood of them being a smoker. I pay health insurance premiums, rather high ones, to subsidize the costs of those smokers who end up in the hospital with illnesses related to smoking.

So, while I am also uncomfortable with government forcing the issue, I can see the public good in a smoking ban. The spillover costs of all that smoking are coming right out of my pocket.
    Sugar is bad ....... carbs are bad ........ fat is bad ......... cars can be dangerous ........ alcohol is bad ........ stress is bad ........ genetic disposition is bad ........
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Sugar is bad ....... carbs are bad ........ fat is bad ......... cars can be dangerous ........ alcohol is bad ........ stress is bad ........ genetic disposition is bad ........
    excuses are bad :
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It doesn't matter if you don't smoke, this does effect you. Especially when you consider that the lower the income and education level, the lower the likelihood of a person having health insurance...and the higher the likelihood of them being a smoker. I pay health insurance premiums, rather high ones, to subsidize the costs of those smokers who end up in the hospital with illnesses related to smoking.

So, while I am also uncomfortable with government forcing the issue, I can see the public good in a smoking ban. The spillover costs of all that smoking are coming right out of my pocket.
    It doesn't matter if you don't drink alcohol, this does effect you. Especially when you consider that the lower the income and education level, the lower the likelihood of a person having health insurance...and the higher the likelihood of them being an alcohol drinker. I pay health insurance premiums, rather high ones, to subsidize the costs of those drinkers who end up in the hospital with illnesses related to drinking. (added this) Not to mention the cost in dollars and human life from drunk driving.

So, while I am also uncomfortable with government forcing the issue, I can see the public good in an alcohol ban. The spillover costs of all that alcohol are coming right out of my pocket.

**I'm not picking on you, SunDeck. I'm just pointing out that these ideas can also be applied to alcohol.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    It doesn't matter if you don't drink alcohol, this does effect you. Especially when you consider that the lower the income and education level, the lower the likelihood of a person having health insurance...and the higher the likelihood of them being an alcohol drinker. I pay health insurance premiums, rather high ones, to subsidize the costs of those drinkers who end up in the hospital with illnesses related to drinking. (added this) Not to mention the cost in dollars and human life from drunk driving.

So, while I am also uncomfortable with government forcing the issue, I can see the public good in an alcohol ban. The spillover costs of all that alcohol are coming right out of my pocket.

**I'm not picking on you, SunDeck. I'm just pointing out that these ideas can also be applied to alcohol.

Maybe so, but in order to put it on parallel, the majority would have to vote for the ban, as was the case with the smoking ban. Also, it has been proven that alcohol in moderation can actually be good for health, the same can not be said for smoking.

Alcohol, like anything in excess, as a vice can have bad consequences for others. Ideally, instead of banning these items we could just educate each other and make a conscious rational decision. In lieu of this, banning for the general good is permissable and understandable, in my mind at least.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Don't forget:

Makes all the routine posts.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post

Alcohol's an absolute albatross around the neck of the legal system as well. Believe me; I see it firsthand in my volunteer work.

There's no comparing the deleterious effects of alcohol vs. smoking. They aren't even in the same stratosphere.

I like to drink as much as the next guy, but after doing what I've done at my volunteer job lo these years, I've been pretty scared straight about the problems that lie in the wake of alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Hey, as long as you are happy and taken care of.
    Not me--everyone.

As opposed to making sure just the *smokers* are happy.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Hey ..... don't judge us by the color of our lungs.
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Not me--everyone.

As opposed to making sure just the *smokers* are happy.
    You can't smoke on domestic air travel. You can't smoke on greyhound busses. Most cabs don't want you to smoke in them. You can't smoke in most areas of airports, shopping malls, ballparks, hotels, etc. You can't smoke in any ole place in a resturant. You can't smoke inside most any store like Loews, Bed Bath & Beyond, Radio Shack, etc. You can't smoke in most offices or office buildings. Heck, I've been in 300,000sqft plants that don't allow smoking.

But it's all about making the smoker happy? I'd say the pendelum has swung the other way to where people would rather just ban it all the way round, and spare themselves the hassle of dealing with it themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I have ZERO problems limiting where people smoke, and using some common sense (smoking on a jet aircraft? That's really a dumb idea IMO ) to curtail when it's going to be unsafe. But let's drop the pretend notion that non-smokers are this hunted group with nobody to protect them and are just at the mercies of the big bad evil smokers.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 05-09-2007 at 04:46 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    You can't smoke on domestic air travel. You can't smoke on greyhound busses. Most cabs don't want you to smoke in them. You can't smoke in most areas of airports, shopping malls, ballparks, hotels, etc. You can't smoke in any ole place in a resturant. You can't smoke inside most any store like Loews, Bed Bath & Beyond, Radio Shack, etc.

But it's all about making the smoker happy? I'd say the pendelum has swung the other way to where people would rather just ban it all the way round, and spare themselves the hassle of dealing with it themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I have ZERO problems limiting where people smoke, and using some common sense (smoking on a jet aircraft? That's really a dumb idea IMO ) to curtail when it's going to be unsafe. But let's drop the pretend notion that non-smokers are this hunted group with nobody to protect them and are just at the mercies of the big bad evil smokers.
    Agreed. There are real health issues involved, but for the most part, this is mostly about non-smokers not wanting to be inconvenienced.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?