Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why not just take your lumps with young guys?

Why not just take your lumps with young guys?

The Brewers did it 2 or 3 years ago. And now look at them. They are going to win the division and have been the best team in baseball so far this year.

The Pirates are doing it and improving every year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them contend for the division next season.

I say we bring up guys like Votto, Bruce, Baliey, ect. ect. and just take our lumps now. It's better losing with a bright future than losing like this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why not just take your lumps with young guys?

Quote Originally Posted by howyoufreelin View Post
    The Brewers did it 2 or 3 years ago. And now look at them. They are going to win the division and have been the best team in baseball so far this year..
    Actually, they have been successfull for the first month + 1.5 weeks of the season. At this time last year, the Reds were sitting on top of the world.

Perhaps they will win the division. But you can't say they "are going to" simply because they have played well in the first month+. If that were the case, the Reds would have been World Series Champs many times over.

The Brewers did it 2 or 3 years ago. And now look at them. They are going to win the division and have been the best team in baseball so far this year.

The Pirates are doing it and improving every year. It wouldn't surprise me to see them contend for the division next season.

I say we bring up guys like Votto, Bruce, Baliey, ect. ect. and just take our lumps now. It's better losing with a bright future than losing like this.

If you're trying for sustained success, you don't want your best prospects burning their pre-FA years while learning on the job. In addition bringing guys up too soon will ruin the confidence of some. In general, I think it's a losing approach, especially for a small market team. I do think guys like Salmon, Bray(once healthy), and maybe Medlock should be up.

So have TB and KC. For every success story, there are lots of failures. And Milwaukee hasn't sustained anything yet. It takes alot of luck, and lots of injury free years. See Detroit before last year.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

We used Salmon last night and he cost us the game. That should make everyone happy.

The Pirates are improving???? That's news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We used Salmon last night and he cost us the game. That should make everyone happy.

The Pirates are improving???? That's news to me.
    Giving up a HR to Lance Berkman doesn't make him uniquely awful. He hasn't been getting work and probably had some rust. You have to run him out there a few times to see what we have.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You don't blow it up and go with the young guys because the young guys haven't earned the right to be major leaguers yet. Votto obviously hasn't earned it and Bailey is a bit more deserving but still has some developing to do in Louisville. We don't have the Weeks, Fielder, Hardy caliber young players.

You need a mix of young and old. Look at Tampa Bay and all the talent they have had and the lack of results they have gotten. Teams full of young guys can get used to losing fast. Looking back at the Braves over the last 15 years they have done a very good job of integrating a few youngsters into the mix each year. You really do need some vets around to help the young guys.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I was completely O.K. with using Salmon there. He gave up a two-strike, 2 out HR to one of the best hitters in the game. It happens. (shrug) You have to let the kids take their chances at some point or you won't know what you have.

Better, IMO, than watching the Stantons, Cormiers and Weathers of the world for the next five years.

Rem

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    You need a mix of young and old.
    Yes, I agree.

If you jettison all of the old guys, and just go with the kids, there is no fall back position if and when they implode. The kids with options need to be on the train back and forth from Louisville, and the old guys who can still pitch need to do so. The vets who can't do it anymore (Cormier) are waived, and then 2 or 3 different guys with options can be tried in his spot, until the right fit is found.

The flexibilty is paramount, I think. Plus, there have to be some experienced guys around, in order to be "coaches" of a sort (this happens in nearly every business, doesn't it?).

But the vets give you a safety net. Or, more exactly, the kids with options give you a safety net in case the vets wash out.

If you cut the oldsters, and wind up with a pen full of Valentine's, Reith's and Manzanilla's, with no where else to turn, well, then you have a major catastrophe on your hands (ie- in an even worse situation than this bullpen is right now).
    sorry we're boring

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I was completely O.K. with using Salmon there. He gave up a two-strike, 2 out HR to one of the best hitters in the game.
    Rem

Oh, I'm with you on that one.

It's just that tons of posters seemed to think that using Salmon would solve every problem known to man.

You bring up anyone in AAA who looks like theyre ready. I dont know if Votto or Bailey are ready yet,and Bruce is several years away. However, I am sure we have a number of players we can bring up in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    You bring up anyone in AAA who looks like theyre ready. I dont know if Votto or Bailey are ready yet,and Bruce is several years away. However, I am sure we have a number of players we can bring up in AAA.
    Bruce is four years away at most. Hitters can come up fast and perform faster than pitchers.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    You don't blow it up and go with the young guys because the young guys haven't earned the right to be major leaguers yet. Votto obviously hasn't earned it and Bailey is a bit more deserving but still has some developing to do in Louisville. We don't have the Weeks, Fielder, Hardy caliber young players.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "earn" the right to be a major leaguer. If you mean that you don't think they are good enough to play at the highest level, that's one thing. But if you mean they have to punch the time clock for a certain amount of time before being called up, that's preposterous. Look at Josh Hamilton and you'll see why. As soon as a player is ML ready, he should be called up. Otherwise, the club is wasting its resources on strange moral imperatives.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?