Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 MLB Draft - Who do you like?

2007 MLB Draft - Who do you like?

Okay, I'm going to post a couple links. The first is Keith Law's latest list of the top 100 draft prospects. IT IS NOT A PREMIUM LIST. You can go to it even though it says "insider".

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insid...ith&id=2858780

The second one is a feature on the Minor League Baseball site, and if you haven't seen it, its pretty good. Its got a ton of scouting reports on draft prospects, the kind of thing we ususally don't see until draft day. Scouting videos are available for many of the players.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp

Last I checked, the Reds pick at #15, #34, #53, and #78, through the first two rounds. From Keith Law's list, you can expect most of the top 36 prospects to all move down one ranking each (#14 prospect becomes #15), because Max Scherzer is probably not going to sign with Arizona. Also, there may be slight changes in these rankings because of 3 possible draft and follow signings.

So, the question is, who would you like to see the Reds take with their picks? The only rule is that you've got to pick someone from Law's list and they've got to be listed at or below the Reds pick number, with adjustments allowed for the slight variations mentioned above.

I'll post the ones that I like below.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2007 MLB Draft - Who do you like?

The prospects I like:

Pick #15 - Mike Moustakas, C/3B, high school

Looks like the guy can really hit, and from what I read on the Baseball America Draft Blog, he'll be pretty good defensively behind the plate as well. Athletic, and has a nice arm. Hits 90 mph from the mound in the scouting video.

Pick #34 - Kentrail Davis, OF, high school

First of all, you should see a photo of this guy. He is stout, and built like you wouldn't believe. According to the scouting report on MiLB, he can cover a lot of ground in the outfield, and you can see from the video that he has a super quick bat. He could be a really fun player to watch develop.

Pick # 54 - Danny Rams, C, high school

That's right, another catcher. He doesn't have a scouting report on the MiLB site, but you can search him on Yahoo! and find reports that describe his power as "plus" and "plus plus for a catcher". Bat will play at 1B if catching doesn't work out for him. However, you can also find reports of him having sub 2.00 "pop times" from behind the plate, so staying at catcher shouldn't be a problem. Stroke is short and powerful, according to the reports I've found.

Pick #78 - Brian Friday, SS, College Junior (Rice)

He had a bit of a let down this year offensively, but maintained pretty good plate discipline and came on strong at the end. He probably won't hit many homers professionally, but he may hit for average with his line drive stroke. You can read the MiLB scouting report for yourselves, but it raves about his speed, arm strength, and range, though he loses points for throwing accuracy. He'd have 2 1/2-3 1/2 years to figure it out before the Reds will need a new shortstop.

A few things:

1. No pitchers. I didn't select any pitchers because I feel like that is the strength of our system for the forseeable future, and because 3 of the 4 players I picked are at positions of need in the system. While there are some college closers near the Reds picks, I'm only really intrigued by Casey Weathers, and he would have been an overdraft at #15. I don't think it would hurt the Reds if they didn't take a pitcher in the first two rounds this year. Remember, this was just the first two rounds.

2. Two catchers. Sure, it seems strange to take a catcher in the first and second round, but both have bats that would play at the infield corners.

3. An outfielder. I know, we've got pretty good outfield depth between our big league team and farm system. I just really like what I've read about this guy. Looks like he has 30/30 potential, and with his athleticism, he might be able to make a position switch. If not, we've got enough depth at this position to last for a long time.

If this was a bad idea, I'm sorry. I just really like discussing this stuff and looking at all the possibilities.

Who do you like?

15. Matt Dominguez 3B- HS- He should still be there at 15.

34. Nick Schmidt- LP- Arkansas- Every year a prospect slips a little, hopefully it will be Schmidt and the Reds need to take a chance on this guy.

53. Kentrail Davis- I like your pick but later Davis may slip a little because of his size.

78. Tim Alderson- RHP 6'7- High School pitcher I like his size and his upside for a high schooler.

This draft should really add to the Reds farm system. If Bailey and Votto still qualify for prospect status by the end of the year, we are looking at a top 3 system, really only behind Tampa Bay.

34. Nick Schmidt- LP- Arkansas- Every year a prospect slips a little, hopefully it will be Schmidt and the Reds need to take a chance on this guy.

He could slip. He went a little south at the end of last year if he does that again i think he will slip.
    Hope he doesn't, sense I'm a razorback fan.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

I saw last night after the game that ESPN2 will have full coverage of the draft this year, should be interesting.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

In the most highly publicized draft, the NFL Draft, teams often have the strategy of drafting the best player available. While this strategy works occasionally there, NFL rookies (especially first-round picks) are expected to contribute right away. This is not the case, with all but the exceptional players taking years to develop.

Therefore, due to the uncertainity of the current minor league system and the inability to predict the future, I really think it is a good decision to pick players based upon how good of major leaguers you think they will be. Furthermore, if miraculously you have 5 major-league ready 3rd baseman, for example, you could deal them off to fit a need.

So, I really hope the Reds go with the stats and their gut collaboratively and pick guys who they see being in the majors 5 years in the future, not drafting a pitcher, just because pitching is tough to acquire or catchers because we don't have any in the minors. We could always deal for places of need.

That said, if Brackman falls to the Reds (impossibility I know), I want a second man of Moeller on the roster.

That said, if Brackman falls to the Reds (impossibility I know), I want a second man of Moeller on the roster.
    I am leaning in that direction myself at the moment. He may slip because of signability. I wonder if Castellini would spring for a big bonus for the local kid when there will be more than the usual number of high picks to sign.

I think Brackman is a decent risk for such a tall kid based on his outstanding athleticism. His hoop excellence gives him a good chance to repeat his delivery and gain command over time. I like the way his delivery looks already, so I don't think he'll be a project by any means.

If he's gone, they'll have a much easier to decision to make.

Take Brackman..we need to fill Larkin's spot and make sure there are 2 Moeller guys on the roster at once

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I want Matt Dominguez at #15. At least thats who I am looking at right now. Still quite a bit of time for chips to fall into place, but unless someone really drops thats what I am aiming for.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I am leaning in that direction myself at the moment. He may slip because of signability. I wonder if Castellini would spring for a big bonus for the local kid when there will be more than the usual number of high picks to sign.

I think Brackman is a decent risk for such a tall kid based on his outstanding athleticism. His hoop excellence gives him a good chance to repeat his delivery and gain command over time. I like the way his delivery looks already, so I don't think he'll be a project by any means.

If he's gone, they'll have a much easier to decision to make.

I am really good friends with Brack's cousin and he tells me that his fielders are not helping him out much this year. If you look at the video ( http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...sp?mc=brackman ), you can see how wicked his stuff is. If Castellini wants to be a big splash kind of guy, Brackman seems to be the pick he would want. A powerful starter, with no real baseball-related injuries from Cincinnati.

However, when Drew was in high school, he garnered interest from many scouts, but some how the Reds were not among them. That was three years ago and a lot has changed since then. Here's to another Moeller boy having success with the Reds.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I think your numbers are a bit off

According to the official MLB list - the Reds pick 15, 34, 53, 80, 105 & 110 in the 1st three rounds - with the last three picks all moving up one slot if Max Scherzer doesn't sign with Arizona.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Has there been any discussion of the budget this year?

Last year, it looks like they spent in the neighborhood of 4 Million.

I hope they plan on opening up the pocketbooks and go for best talent available with each pick and make money a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Has there been any discussion of the budget this year?

Last year, it looks like they spent in the neighborhood of 4 Million.

I hope they plan on opening up the pocketbooks and go for best talent available with each pick and make money a non-issue.
    Money will always be a issue. That is a fact you must learn to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I want Matt Dominguez at #15. At least thats who I am looking at right now. Still quite a bit of time for chips to fall into place, but unless someone really drops thats what I am aiming for.
    I've heard of this kid but I don't know a whole lot about him other than he was Josh Ravin's teammate last year. How does his plate discipline and power potential rate?

Just don't take toolsy college players. If your going for tools, go for high school players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?