Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2007 MLB Draft - Who do you like?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 2007 MLB Draft - Who do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I've heard of this kid but I don't know a whole lot about him other than he was Josh Ravin's teammate last year. How does his plate discipline and power potential rate?
    He has some of the best power in the HS crop this year. Cant really say what his plate discipline is like.... I cant remember what the scouting reports said and for the life of me I cant find them right now either.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He has some of the best power in the HS crop this year. Cant really say what his plate discipline is like.... I cant remember what the scouting reports said and for the life of me I cant find them right now either.
    According to the milb.com report, Dominguez has some power potential but he doesn't have great tools. However, it does go on to say that he "plays the game the right way."
    I want him.

According to what I have read Dominguez was lighting up all the showcases over this past summer with his power display.

I find it strange that in the milb.com scouting report it says this:
    Power: Dominguez's power grades out as average to a tick above, with some room for growth.

Then 7 lines later it says this:
    Strengths: Bat, especially power. Dominguez showed a little more pop at the showcase than he had in the past

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Dominguez's scouting report also states that he plays gold glove defense at 3B along with his monster power.

His fellow infield mate Mike Moustakas is really interesting as well - plays SS now but Baseball America and others think his future is at 3B or C - with a big bat to match. But he might be a top 10 pick when it's all said and done.

Dominguez, Moustakas, Jason Heyward, Kevin Ahrens, Michael Burgess - all extremely interesting HS bats that could go in the 12-25 range of the draft.

One extremely interesting note is Kevin Ahrens - a switch hitting power prospect at 3B - currently listed as the best hitter in Texas this draft, and he's listed anywhere from 18 to 25. The Reds last four 1st rounders? All Texas boys....

Any really good live armed closer prospects in this draft?

College closers, or high school starters that can push the upper 90's?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Any really good live armed closer prospects in this draft?

College closers, or high school starters that can push the upper 90's?
    I have heard that the Reds are interested in Marylands Brett Cecil. Throws low 90s and can hit the mid 90s with his fastball and has a nasty slider that already rates as a MLB out pitch.

Not sure if he is worth taking at #15.... but I dont know if he will be around the second time we pick....

I have heard that the Reds are interested in Marylands Brett Cecil. Throws low 90s and can hit the mid 90s with his fastball and has a nasty slider that already rates as a MLB out pitch.

Not sure if he is worth taking at #15.... but I dont know if he will be around the second time we pick....
    If you don't mind having another closer named Weathers, Vanderbilt's closer, Casey Weathers, is a similar pitcher with a similar repertoire. His slider needs to be more consistant though.

Something that jumped out at me:

LaPorta: drafted in 14th round in 2006
    Latos: 11th round (draft and follow)
    Walden: 12th round (draft and follow)

Reds pick in 11th round: Brandon Rice
    12 round: Logan Parker
    14th round: Carson Kainer

Add those names to Lars Anderson in the 18th round and Dellin Betances in the 8th round and, as you can see, there are rather large names which slide in the draft each year due to signability concerns. For this FO, they should earmark millions for this year's draft and get the best player on the board each time. I'm scared, since the last time Cincy had a draft resembling this one they drafted Schramek in the supplemental.

I realize that there might be outlying factors (i.e., Betances is a NY kid) but throw enough coin at these guys and they'll sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Redleg View Post
    If you don't mind having another closer named Weathers, Vanderbilt's closer, Casey Weathers, is a similar pitcher with a similar repertoire. His slider needs to be more consistant though.
    I think Casey Weathers will be a very good setup man or closer in the big leagues pretty soon. The guy hasn't given up an extra base hit all season, allowing only 11 hits, but 18 BBs (and 8 HBPs) in 36.1 innings.

With that being said, the upside of other first rounders is a lot higher, and I don't think his value will warrant the high draft choice.

This was on Baseball America's "Free" draft blog today about Moustakas & Dominguez. Mostly Moustakas

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=24

Chatsworth (Calif.) High shortstop Mike Moustakas entered the season with high hopes. Paired with his prep teammate, third baseman Matt Dominguez, the duo was among the best pairs of high school teammates on any field in the nation, but in the minds of most scouts, Moustakas was behind Dominguez and Cypress (Calif.) High’s Josh Vitters, as well as several others, in terms of draft position. In fact, some scouts considered him a lock to go to college due to his strong commitment to Southern California and the fact that Scott Boras will be his advisor.

With the way the draft goes, Moustakas may yet become a Trojan. Moustakas has shredded all preseason expectations for him, though, with a scintillating season that has made California history. Heather Gripp of the L.A. Daily News emails that Tuesday night, in the first inning of a Chatsworth victory against El Camino High, Moustakas hit his 20th homer of the season and the 48th of his career. That set a new California career prep record, and Moustakas is now one homer away from tying the single-season mark. He also tripled and walked twice Tuesday.

Last week, we had reports of Moustakas hitting 96-97 mph with his fastball as a pitcher. His hitting exploits have reached such proportions that scouts no longer seem to care what his future position is. While his tools may profile behind the plate, scouts don’t seem to talk about him moving there much anymore. He’s a lefthanded hitter with possible 80 future power–he can play first base and mash his way to the big leagues.

Maybe it’s just my Greek heritage talking, but a Nick Markakis-Moustakas middle of the order would give Greece a good start in a future World Baseball Classic . . . and I didn’t even mention Vasili Spanos yet.

I almost vomited at the thought of the Reds taking a reliever with their first pick. However, they may be interested in converting him to a full time starter as they did with Sean Watson. Cecil moved into the starting rotation last weekend, and on Sunday went 7.1 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K. He threw a lot (128, 81 strikes) of pitches. He also had 2 HBPs.

BA's Draft Tracker quotes a scout who says he has 3 pitches he can throw for strikes.

At this point, I wouldn't be ecstatic with that pick at #15, but he should get another start next weekend and then perhaps in the college postseason. He could do a lot for his draft status in the coming start(s).

He would definitely fit with the Reds presumed strategy of finding "fresh arms", as someone put it earlier. He's a name worth remembering as the draft approaches.

I would stay far far far away from Cecil.

Maryland moved him from the closer to starter last week, and in his very first start they let him go 130 pitches. Hello future arm wear.

http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos...uto_pdf/FS_MD3
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 05-11-2007 at 03:24 AM.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today.../?rank=tracker
    Click here: BaseballAmerica.com: Draft: Rankings

2007 Draft Tracker

Updated on May 9, 2007

More 2007 Draft Trackers: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

The draft's best prospects, enough to fill the first round, based purely on talent. Previous rankings in parentheses. The list does not include players under control from the 2006 draft.

TOP 30 PROSPECTS
    1. David Price, lhp, Vanderbilt (1)
    The Devil Rays maintain they are not settled on Price as their No. 1 choice, but his feel for pitching and power stuff from the left side are unrivaled in this class.
    2. Josh Vitters, 3b, Cypress (Calif.) HS (2)
    After a nagging bout with pneumonia, Vitters is "getting back to full strength finally, bouncing around, looking better," Cypress coach John Weber said. Vitters homered twice May 2 at Valencia High (Placentia, Calif.), the second of which cleared the 350-foot sign in left-center field--and the adjacent street.
    3. Rick Porcello, rhp, Seton Hall Prep, West Orange, N.J. (3)
    There doesn't seem to be much to knock these days on the top high school pitcher in the class. "The key is he's going out every time and dominating," said a scout with an American League club.
    4. Matt Wieters, c, Georgia Tech (4)
    This weekend will be another opportunity for Wieters to solidify his status as the top college position player in the class, as the Yellow Jackets pay a visit to North Carolina for a three-game series. One national crosschecker said recently, " I would make a case for Wieters over Price at 1. With the switch-hitting, the power and he catches so easy, I think he's the best (amateur) catcher I've seen outside of Joe Mauer."
    5. Andrew Brackman, rhp, North Carolina State (5)
    Brackman didn't pitch last weekend as the Pack stepped out of conference play, but he takes the ball this weekend at Virginia, where Cavs first baseman Sean Doolittle and outfielder Brandon Guyer have been swinging the bat well and will be looking to boost their own draft stock. "Everyone keeps saying he's sliding, but he's not sliding far with that stuff," a national crosschecker said.
    6. Mike Moustakas, 3b/c, Chatsworth (Calif.) HS (7)
    Tuesday night, May 2, in the first inning of a Chatsworth victory against El Camino High, Moustakas hit his 20th homer of the season and the 48th of his career. That set a new California career prep record, and Moustakas is now one homer away from tying the single-season mark.
    7. Ross Detwiler, lhp, Missouri State (6)
    Rebounded from worst outing of year to pitch four no-hit innings against Evansville, then the rains came and the game was suspended until the next day.
    8. Daniel Moskos, lhp, Clemson (8)
    Moskos turned in a workman like performance last weekend against Boston College, pitching into the eighth inning--his longest stint since moving into the rotation a month ago--with eight punch outs and four walks. He's allowed six earned runs and 28 hits in 27 1.3 innings as a starter.
    9. Matt Harvey, rhp, Fitch HS, Groton, Conn. (9)
    Harvey was sharp in his last outing, May 7 with improved command. "He looked pretty damn good to me," a scout said. "He was 91-95, heavy, and a 60 curveball (74-76). Harvey flashed a plus changeup (78-81) when he was ahead in the count. He wasn't throwing any duds."
    10. Jarrod Parker, rhp, Norwell (Ind.) HS (12)
    Finally gave up a run (two actually) in his sixth start, but won again and struck out 10 over six innings.
    11. Jason Heyward, of, Henry County HS, McDonough, Ga. (13)
    Heyward was wrapping up a strong season, though he didn't see a lot to hit given his reputation as the best hitter in the state. He had made good showings in private workouts leading up to the draft.
    12. Madison Bumgarner, lhp, South Caldwell HS, Hudson, N.C. (10)
    More than a half-dozen scouting directors and at least 20 other scouts took in Bumgarner's showdown with senior righthander Sam Runion (Reynolds HS, Asheville, N.C.) April 27. One bad inning undid Bumgarner, but he was up to 95 mph nonetheless.
    13. Phillippe Aumont, rhp, Ecole Du Versant, Gatineau, Quebec (11)
    Aumont made a pair of appearances in Florida against extended spring training teams of the Indians and Tigers, dominating against the Indians. He will pitch four more times before the draft, including May 6 and 13 in Ottawa at Lynx Stadium at 10 a.m.
    14. Matt Dominguez, 3b, Chatsworth (Calif.) HS (14)
    Like Moustakas, Dominguez also homered Tuesday, just not able to keep pace really but it's not his fault, Moustakas is contending for High School Player of the Year honors.
    15. Blake Beavan, rhp, Irving (Texas) HS (15)
    Wrapped up his season with a 15-strikeout one-hitter in the playoffs.
    16. Josh Smoker, lhp, Calhoun (Ga.) HS (22)
    Like Vitters, Smoker has been under the weather and suffering from bronchitis. It didn't matter in his last outing, as he went the distance and struck out a career-high 20, allowing one hit against Dade County High (Trenton, Ga.).
    17. Beau Mills, 3b/1b, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) (17)
    Mills hit two home runs and had eight RBIs in his last game Sunday May 6. He's got 30 home runs in 52 games, tying single-season school record (which was set in a 76-game season).
    18. Matt LaPorta, 1b, Florida (16)
    The debate for the best college bat after Wieters will continue right up to the draft, and most teams believe it's between LaPorta and Mills. "LaPorta and Mills would be the next two (college position players on most boards), because of the power, but as great as those kids are you're talking horrible defense," a crosschecker said. "Mills has more bat speed than LaPorta, who uses more brute strength. It should be interesting, but I bet Mills might go just ahead of him."
    19. Michael Main, rhp/of, Deland (Fla.) HS (18)
    In a seven-inning shutout May 1 in the first round of the playoffs, Main was lights-out, allowing one solid hit (four total). He pitched at 94 mph and threw just two fastballs below 92 mph. He also ran a 4.07 home-to-first from the right side.
    20. Casey Weathers, rhp, Vanderbilt (20)
    Weathers made one appearance in Vandy's series win over Georgia in Athens last weekend, matching up with Fields in the late innings Friday. His velocity was the customary mid-90s, although his control left a little to be desired, walking four with three strikeouts in two scoreless innings.
    21. Brett Cecil, lhp, Maryland (21)
    Just like Moskos, Cecil moved into the rotation last weekend, pitching into the seventh inning against Florida State. "He's been durable, shown three pitches he can throw for strikes and pretty consistent velocity, so I can see him starting after (the draft)," a scout said.
    22. Julio Borbon, of, Tennessee (19)
    While the fleet-footed Borbon collected the 200th hit of his career Sunday May 6 versus Mississippi, he also misplayed a ball in center field and was just 3-for-13 in the series. "He barreled one ball up, and it was a ground ball in the six hole and that was about it," a scout said.
    23. Nick Schmidt, lhp, Arkansas (23)
    Struggled against Louisiana State with five runs in seven innings, but he's been pretty consistent all year. Stuff wasn't down, just got hit a little, all five runs scored with two outs.
    24. Jack McGeary, lhp/1b, Roxbury Latin HS, West Roxbury, Mass. (24)
    McGeary's stuff has been steady this spring. While his velocity isn't wowing scouts, he's sat at 87-91 mph with above-average command of three offerings. His curveball (76-78 mph) and changeup were both effective offerings in his last outing.
    25. Kevin Ahrens, 3b, Memorial HS, Houston (25)
    The best hitter in the state of Texas has shown power and a sweet swing from both sides of the plate, drawing comparisons to Chipper Jones.
    26. Todd Frazier, ss, Rutgers (27)
    A draft class thin in position players, guys like Frazier and North Carolina shortstop Josh Horton are sure to draw interest in the top 30 picks.
    27. James Simmons, rhp, UC Riverside (NR)
    Simmons' 2.07 ERA ranks 27th in D-I, and he does it with plus-plus command, as evidenced by 98-11 strikeout-walk ratio (in 96 IP).
    28. Michael Burgess, of, Hillsborough HS, Tampa (30)
    A frustrating season came to an unceremonious end for Burgess, whose team missed the playoffs. Private workouts and perhaps a trip to Sebring, Fla., for the Florida high school all-star game will be important showings for the powerful slugger as he attempts to quell questions about his propensity to swing and miss.
    29. Wendell Fairley, of, George County-Lucedale (Miss.) HS (NR)
    The Draft Tracker is based largely on talent, and while Fairley is a stretch to be drafted in the first round, he has shown five-tool potential and far more ability to put those tools to use than most scouts in the Southeast ever expected. His upbringing is unconventional and he doesn't have a deep track record, but, "he's pretty damn interesting," a crosschecker said. "He very well may be Carl Crawford."
    30. Devin Mesaraco, c, Punxsutawney (Pa.) HS (NR)
    Like Fairley, premium athletic ability and advanced catch and throw skills are Mesaraco's calling card and a major reason he has played himself into first-round consideration for several teams. "He's a catcher with five tools--hits for average, occasional plus power and he can throw and he's an average runner," a scout said. "He's as good a high school senior as (Orioles 2005 first round pick Brandon) Snyder was, and we would have taken Snyder in the first round without thinking twice."

LIP OF THE CUP
    Kyle Russell, of, Texas (28)
    Hit two more homers Friday against a good Missouri pitching staff, giving him an absurd 26 on the season (previous Texas record: 20) with a lot of games remaining. Injured his wrist Sunday trying to catch a ball that went for a triple, and came out of the game. Longhorns are off this week and won't play again until May 18-20 against Texas A&M; he'll be ready to play then.
    Matt Mangini, 3b, Oklahoma State (29)
    The 2006 Cape Cod League batting champ (.310) is a better defender but has less power than LaPorta or Mills.
    Jake Arrieta, rhp, Texas Christian (26)
    Arrieta failed to make it out of the fifth inning against San Diego State--scouts said TCU's coaches were clearly keeping him on a tight leash--and continues his lackluster (3.69 ERA) junior season.

: Prospect's stock is up

: Prospect's stock is rising fast

: Prospect's stock is down
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 05-15-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Turn Off Ads?