Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with Joey Votto?

Re: What's the deal with Joey Votto?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In the minor leagues for a power hitter, about .330. Going into last nights game Joey Votto's BABIP was .227 according to Minorleaguesplits.com.
    coach posted earlier that his BABIP was .261 this season. Not sure who is correct. But that might explain more for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    In 27 games the Ottawa Lynx has hit exactly 1 home run. I know that is off-thread, but still it makes me smile.
    I blame Canada
    Go Gators!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    coach posted earlier that his BABIP was .261 this season. Not sure who is correct. But that might explain more for me.
    Not sure where coach got his numbers, but I will trust minorleaguesplits.com on this one, as their numbers are run through a computer.

Not sure where coach got his numbers, but I will trust minorleaguesplits.com on this one, as their numbers are run through a computer.
    They were my numbers, and I go through the box scores everyday as a little project I do. I also have checked them with the minorleaguebaseball.com stats and they are consistent.

And thanks a lot for having to make me post that. I was at 1,111 posts, and screwed that up for this post.

Going into Monday night's game Votto had a BABIP of .227. He went 3 for 3 which raised his BABIP to .261. If you look at minorleaguesplits.com right now they DO NOT include the stats from 5/7.

Since he's only 23, shouldn't you just let him play the whole year at AAA and then see at the end of the year what he came up with for numbers?

If he reaches the Majors when he's 25, that's fine,...if it's at 24, that's even better. Conine and Hatteberg have been great and can certainly hold down the 1st base position for at least this year.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Since he's only 23, shouldn't you just let him play the whole year at AAA and then see at the end of the year what he came up with for numbers?

If he reaches the Majors when he's 25, that's fine,...if it's at 24, that's even better. Conine and Hatteberg have been great and can certainly hold down the 1st base position for at least this year.
    At least this year, they both will be shipped out before Augest.

Looking at Votto's April vs. May is very encouraging. April: .192/.347/.346/.693. May (admittedly a small sample as yet): .318/.464/.455/.919. Maybe even more impressive is this: April 78 AB, 23 K's; May 22AB, 2K's. Again small sample but it looks like real progress. If Joey Votto strikes out 1 in 11 times to the plate and maintains his ability to get walks, we have really got something.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    At least this year, they both will be shipped out before Augest.
    that's fine. IF Votto is hitting over .280 by the deadline, you ship both of them out and let Votto break in his cleats at the big league level for the last two months of the year, before you pencil him in as the opening day starter for 2008. If Votto continues to struggle, you let him play out the year in AAA and trade only Hatte, hanging onto Conine (who is both right handed and I'm sure has less trade value). Either way, Votto should be manning the bag next Opening Day.
    Go BLUE!!!

Looks like those line drives are starting to turn into hits. Does he look at all like EE at the plate bu with better average? EE seems to hit alt of line drives. Just get EE to the outfield and Votto to first and we'll be an improved team. We now need a 3rd baseman. I'm saying we kidnap Miguel Cabrera and brainwash him into thinking that he plays for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    Looks like those line drives are starting to turn into hits. Does he look at all like EE at the plate bu with better average? EE seems to hit alt of line drives. Just get EE to the outfield and Votto to first and we'll be an improved team. We now need a 3rd baseman. I'm saying we kidnap Miguel Cabrera and brainwash him into thinking that he plays for the Reds.

I could go for that one! Votto hits a ton of line drives, but has very good power as well. I would say its a little better than Edwins power and it comes from the left side.

[/B]

I could go for that one! Votto hits a ton of line drives, but has very good power as well. I would say its a little better than Edwins power and it comes from the left side.
    His approach has definitely changed since Dayton. I watched him around 60 games in 04 and he reminded me a lot of Jim Thome. Very similar approaches and swings. Now he has less of an upper cut and a more level swing which helps him drive the ball to the gaps and accidentally hit HR's.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    His approach has definitely changed since Dayton. I watched him around 60 games in 04 and he reminded me a lot of Jim Thome. Very similar approaches and swings. Now he has less of an upper cut and a more level swing which helps him drive the ball to the gaps and accidentally hit HR's.
    I prefer that to a guy that either hits a home run, pop fly, ground out or strike out (Dunn). So Votto projects to hit for good average then? How is he at drwing walks? Could his bat help offset a potential loss of Dunn going into the future?

Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    I prefer that to a guy that either hits a home run, pop fly, ground out or strike out (Dunn). So Votto projects to hit for good average then? How is he at drwing walks? Could his bat help offset a potential loss of Dunn going into the future?
    Joey Votto has some of the better plate discipline in the minor leagues. He will strike out 100 times a year, but he projects to walk 75 times as well. He looks to be a decent batting average guy. I dont expect him to be Sean Casey in the average department, but .280-.290 with a .370+ OBP and some power in his bat.

Votto's OPS for May now .959. This organization's got a lot of worries, but Joey Votto's not one of them.

Turn Off Ads?