Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can we do about the "blowpen"?

What can we do about the "blowpen"?

Send Coffey down? Call up McBeth? or Majewski? Trade two more starters to the Nationals for more bullpen help? I don't think we can do anything really to help us this year. I'd say giving some of the minor leaguers chances instead of guys like Coffey and Stanton would be better than what were doing currently, which is sending out the same relievers day in and day out. Give Salmon more pitching time and Coffey less. It's no secret that I loathe Coffey so I wouldn't be happier if he was sent down to Triple A. At least for a bit. Other than going to the minors for help I don't see Wayne doing any trades to better the pen.
    Most Vottomatic Player

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What can we do about the "blowpen"?

Pretty much said it all. We have some decent options inside our own system but they are all young, but its not like we are winning the WS this year anyways. Send Coffey down to AAA, bring up McBeth or Medlock, give Salmon more time and pray that Bray comes back strong.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

I am very excited about calling this "The Blowpen." Thanks for the new moniker.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Solutions to our bullpen problems

I have been thinking about this awhile and have tried to come up with some long-term solutions to help our bullpen.

1. Wait for our iinjured relievers to get back- Jared Burton, Bill Bray, and even Majewski(yes, I said the dreaded word) could do better than some of the relievers we have pitching but it will take them awhile to get better.

2. Send Coffey down to sort out whatever problems he is currently having. He is hurting the team right now with his play.

3. Cut Mike Stanton. he has nothing left and is only hurting the team.

4. Try and get Saarlos to work on a out pitch. I have heard on Redzone he doesnt have one, and he wont get batters out without one. He should work on it in AAA.Both Saarloos and Coffey should go down when the injured relievers come back,and try to help us when they fix their problems.

5. Put Salmon and Coutlangas in the set-up role until the injured relievers get back. They are both young relievers with good stuff, and we will need them until Coffey gets things back together.

6 Weathers has done well when we actually get the game to him so I would keep him as the closer.

7.The pitching coach should use all his spare time to work with our relievers on doing better. It may not make much difference, but it couldnt hurt.

8. I am sure the catching has something to do with it, so we might put in a defensive catcher to help the relievers in the late innings I am not sure if Ross' pitch selection is part of the problem , but it might be.

9. Bring up Marcus McBeth and lets see what he has.

10.Have Krivsky scour the waiver wires for any quality bullpen help. Likely to be a tall order though.

These are some of my solutions . I am sure Redzone will have some others.

Re: Solutions to our bullpen problems

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post

8. I am sure the catching has something to do with it, so we might put in a defensive catcher to help the relievers in the late innings I am not sure if Ross' pitch selection is part of the problem , but it might be.

I think we can rule this one out.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Blow it up.

I want to respond to this, but I am going to have to start another thread to list my answers.

The "blowpen"...

Yep. Thats a keeper.
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Reds Fan View Post
    The "blowpen"...

Yep. Thats a keeper.
    Saw that in another thread. And by God is it true
    Most Vottomatic Player

For the record, I called them the blowpen a couple of years ago...

it fits

I still don't understand why Salmon isn't getting more chances these past few days and Coffey and Stanton are still being run out there....geez.

Quote Originally Posted by crazybob60 View Post
    I still don't understand why Salmon isn't getting more chances these past few days and Coffey and Stanton are still being run out there....geez.
    Narron in a nut shell....keep doing what isn't working and hope it works itself out.

God forbid another method is attempted.

Krivsky constructed this mess and Narron doesn't seem mentally capable of changing around anybody's roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

At this point I'm all in favor of sending coffee to AAA seeing as how he has become decaffeinated. maybe we can call him Sanka.
    I have a question that I may have missed somewhere. Can he be sent to AAA without having to clear waivers. Does he have options and not enough major league time to prevent him from being sent down?

I am willing to take my lumps. I suggested using Salmon as a set-up man and look what happens. Unfortunately, Narron decided to listen to me. I suppose the bullpen will just have to work out their issues.

Turn Off Ads?