Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The End of Eric Milton as a Red?

Re: The End of Eric Milton as a Red?

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Meat View Post
    He kept us in the game after a bad first couple innings. I say get rid of a majority of our bullpen.
    Meat, your exactly right. The bullpen's performance is the reason the Reds are burried at the bottom of the division not Eric Milton's performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    If you think this team only has one problem, you aren't paying attention.
    You wouldn't know it by reading Redzone. The obsessive scapegoating of Milton is the most tired subject ever now I think.

I'm completely over the fact it was a bad signing and that he gives up 3-4 runs for every 6 innings pitched.

Quote Originally Posted by redlegz View Post
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Milton is not the problem (right now), the Bullpen is in more need of help than our 5th starter.
    True, Milton is not THE problem, but he is A problem. Even more so considering how bad the bullpen is and that they have to throw 4-5 innings everytime Milton starts.

The problem to me is the trade. Also I still sit here and wonder why we didn't try harder to sign guys who came in and shored up the bullpen late in the year. Schoenweiss or Franklin.
    Also, nothing against AA, but when I go all the way to Cincinnati in the first week of the season, I don't want to see a guy that I was watching here in Midland Texas as a not that good AA pitcher come in and load up the bases(Jared Burton).

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Franklin was terrible here; interesting to see that he is doing well at the Dave Duncan Pitching Career Resurrection Center.

Schoeneweiss was definitely worth keeping, and if I recall WK tried, but SS declined to come back. Do I remember that correctly?
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Franklin was terrible here; interesting to see that he is doing well at the Dave Duncan Pitching Career Resurrection Center.

Schoeneweiss was definitely worth keeping, and if I recall WK tried, but SS declined to come back. Do I remember that correctly?
    We did offer arbitration to Schoeneweiss (as well as Aurelia). Therefore we have two sandwich picks for them getting away. So we did make the effort and he could have chosen to stay. I have no idea what sort of money we offered.

Milty isn't the main problem on the team right now. That's very frustrating to say. Seeing his name penciled in as a starter is also deflating to me, and I honestly don't see how its not deflating to all of his teammates. He hasn't been horrible, but he's been nothing better than mediocre, and the team is guaranteed 4 innings of bullpen work and a need to score a lot of runs for the win.

There are bigger problems on this team right now than Eric Milton.
    You've got to start somewhere.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    You've got to start somewhere.
    true, but I'd start with a bigger problem.

There's still plenty-o-time for Milty to pitch himself onto the waiver wire. Who knows, if he keeps being an average 5th starter, he may still have some value at the ASB, for a team with a really big payroll and not much starting pitching? Then you can swap him for a tuna sandwich, or a case of beer. I agree, his stuff is not there, and he's doing whatever he's doing with smoke and mirrors, and he's giving up early runs, but then again, he is keeping his team in the game. I know, he's vastly overpaid for a 5th SP, but that's life.

I think he's walking the tightrope, IMO. The first time he has an outing like he had in 2005 or early 2006, they'll probably cut him loose. But he hasn't done that yet. I'm not convinced Livingston or Dumatrait would do much better. Bailey, I would expect more out of, but he'll most probably come up overthrowing and wild, if ST is any indication.
    sorry we're boring

true, but I'd start with a bigger problem.
    Why not start with the problem with the easiest solution?

Milty to the DL. How convenient.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Why not start with the problem with the easiest solution?
    good point, looks like he did...
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?