Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saint Wayne Krivsky

Re: Saint Wayne Krivsky

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Listen, spending money is great but the Reds only have a finite sample. What happens if Krivsky builds a top notch minor league system? Maybe all the money should be put there.
    I don't want Krivsky running the minor leagues. I want him far away from baseball decisions for this franchise.

There are people--right now as I type--floating around MLB who are more skilled than Wayne at acquiring players for and building a MLB team; one of those individuals needs to be found by a hiring committee.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    You think so? Maybe Weathers, I guess, but that's a hell of a big IF where Stanton is concerned.
    Please sir, Weathers just isn't dealable, but other teams will ask if he is available. Nothing wrong with Stormy in the 7th. Stanton may be done, but he still isn't much to eat. Don't overblow what doesn't need to be overblown.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Listen, spending money is great but the Reds only have a finite sample. What happens if Krivsky builds a top notch minor league system? Maybe all the money should be put there.
    HELL YEAH!

You're preaching to the choir. Do a quick search on my posts throughout the off-season. Stanton? Pissed away $5 million. Cormier? Same thing. Conine? Please. I know that Gonzalez is playing well, but if this team isn't getting better and making a playoff push by 2009, then that was wasted money as well.

If you're gonna spend money, then SPEND IT. Don't half-ass it and try and be semi-competitive. If you're not gonna try and win, then bank the money and put it towards the future.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'll throw a little blame at Big Bob. He talked a big game about spending money and putting a winner on the field.

"Should fans assume that the Reds will be just as aggressive in pursuing players this winter as they were in targeting two national broadcasters?"

"Absolutely," Castellini said, without hesitation. "Absolutely."

Source:
    http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....611010333/1027

Well Bob you tickled the ears of some of the optimist around here, but the record is saying loudly something else.

Again everyone we have in the pen Weathers, Stanton, Santos, Saarloos, Coffey, Salmon etc... are all middle relievers. Any bullpen needs that one shut down option as a stabilizing force. When Eddie got here last year the pen seemed to to turn things around. I think making a move with a team like Houston for Lidge or San Diego for Linebrink will help matters a lot. Again laying all the blame on one person is not right. Krivs is 100% responsible for his part in this, but so are the other members mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Again everyone we have in the pen Weathers, Stanton, Santos, Saarloos, Coffey, Salmon etc... are all middle relievers. Any bullpen needs that one shut down option as a stabilizing force. When Eddie got here last year the pen seemed to to turn things around. I think making a move with a team like Houston for Lidge or San Diego for Linebrink will help matters a lot. Again laying all the blame on one person is not right. Krivs is 100% responsible for his part in this, but so are the other members mentioned.
    Who would Wayne be able to deal for one of those guys? I would be scared to see the headline.

Krivsky unloads farm system, nabs closer

You just said it yourself, Wayne built a bull-pen full of middle relievers (at best).

Who exactly, pray tell, should share the blame for that along with him?

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Again laying all the blame on one person is not right. Krivs is 100% responsible for his part in this, but so are the other members mentioned.
    To which I say: so what?

The only one who matters is Wayne; the only one who can fix it is the GM, ultimately.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    You just said it yourself, Wayne built a bull-pen full of middle relievers (at best).

Who exactly, pray tell, should share the blame for that along with him?
    I also said he was 100% responsible for his part in that. Again I look at a baseball team and its front office as a system, not seperate individual parts. Moves are made as an organization not as one person. Cast did say he was going to open the purse strings to put a winner on the field but a 65 million dollar payroll doesn't get you a decent offense, decent starting pitching, and a decent bullpen. One of these is going to suffer and it happens to be the bullpen that got short changed.

Krivsky's also acquired Brandon Phillips and Bronson Arroyo for a bag of balls and 3 rolls of toilet paper. Not to mention smart signings in Hatteberg, David Ross for a stretch (the jury is still out on that one), and the acquisition of Hamilton. I have no problem in blaming WK for the pen, but the man's not exactly incompetent. The fact is, if WK doesn't make "The Trade" (in which he gave up a league average outfielder in Kearns and a league average SS at BEST in Lopez), many people on this board don't have a problem with him.

I'm not happy with the job he's done so far this year, I'll admit that. But you're not going to pull the Titantic out of the ocean over night with a tow truck. This entire franchise is one big absolute mess, going back WAY before Wayne ever showed up. On the surface, it's Wayne's fault. But if you truly want to point a finger at someone for this franchise's predicament, take a look at what Mrs. Schott did in wreaking havoc to our scouting department back in the early 90's. It began then, and has only went down hill since.

Wrong, KoryMac. Plain wrong. The bullpen didn't get short-changed. WK spent a LOT of money (comparitively speaking) on it. Stanton's contract. Cormier's extension. Coffey's extension. Dealing for Saarloos. That's approximately $7 million dollars right there. No one to blame for what we are seeing with the bullpen other than WK. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Krivsky's also acquired Brandon Phillips and Bronson Arroyo for a bag of balls and 3 rolls of toilet paper. Not to mention smart signings in Hatteberg, David Ross for a stretch (the jury is still out on that one), and the acquisition of Hamilton. I have no problem in blaming WK for the pen, but the man's not exactly incompetent. The fact is, if WK doesn't make "The Trade" (in which he gave up a league average outfielder in Kearns and a league average SS at BEST in Lopez), many people on this board don't have a problem with him.

I'm not happy with the job he's done so far this year, I'll admit that. But you're not going to pull the Titantic out of the ocean over night with a tow truck. This entire franchise is one big absolute mess, going back WAY before Wayne ever showed up. On the surface, it's Wayne's fault. But if you truly want to point a finger at someone for this franchise's predicament, take a look at what Mrs. Schott did in wreaking havoc to our scouting department back in the early 90's. It began then, and has only went down hill since.
    I realize we need a GM that can go 7 for 10 from 3-point land; but so goes it...

That's the GM we need. Not one who trips on his shoelaces. Even once.

7 million on relief pitching, 68 million total payroll the bullpen is getting 10% of the total pie. Sounds like short changed to me.

Wrong again, KoryMac. I didn't add up all the bullpen salaries. I just went over the new money. Of the money spent this off-season on the team, a LARGE percentage went into the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Wrong again, KoryMac. I didn't add up all the bullpen salaries. I just went over the new money. Of the money spent this off-season on the team, a LARGE percentage went into the bullpen.
    It adds up to about 10 million spent on the pen for this year, again with a payroll of 68 million that is not a lot in the grand scheme of things. All I am saying is that if Cast would open the purse strings to about 75-78 million all three areas of this team would be able to compete at similiar levels.

Turn Off Ads?