Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Saint Wayne Krivsky

Re: Saint Wayne Krivsky

I've bashed Krivsky as much as anyone on this board. His pen is awful, His bench is meh (oh to have at least made an offer to Craig Wilson) He didn't address the rotation at all KNOWING Milton was a certain disaster, and that Belisle (who I really like) is a big question mark. Lohse was no sure thing either.

That said he has made a number of very astute moves. Hamilton obviously, but AGon is quietly putting up REMARKABLE numbers. defensively the Reds might be one of the better teams up the middle. The team is still an offensive powerhouse.

Krivsky has refined wht was shaping up to be an improved Farm (yes, we can thank DanO for that) I still don't like the Drew Stubbs pick, as the guy has been injured two straight years, but there haven't been any major injuries since DanO took over. The Farm seems to be strictly controlling pitch counts, and It looks like the Reds have a steady stream of good SP prospects ALL THROUGH the organization.

What's sad is some of his more obvious blunders are so difficult to overcome. His choices for HIS bullpen were, well, not good. Cormier and Stanton should never have been signed or kept. Salmon should have been called up last September to at least get his feet wet. Medlock should be in AAA right now. Santos has a very good track record of being a bad pitcher.

There is bullpen help on the horizon though. Coutlangus, Coffey and Salmon need to be used in ways that will allow them to succeed. Cout against LH hitters and weak RH hitters. Salmon needs to work in games with comfortable leads until he gets a little more experience and confidence. Coffey needs rest between appearances. Burton and Pelland might be helpful at some point this year. I have little hope for seeing Bray. Maj (who I think is a bad fit) is starting to pitch better at Louisville.

But there is no hammer at the end, no defined roles and little chance for definitive improvement with the pen as it stands.

And make no mistake, it will be the pen that costs this team a playoff spot.
    Last edited by TRF; 05-09-2007 at 02:01 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I'd love to visit it someday.
    Yeah, you never seem to be in much of a hurry.

"Whenever, dude...whenever; doesn't matter to me. "
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yeah, you never seem to be in much of a hurry.

"Whenever, dude...whenever; doesn't matter to me. "
    Guess I just don't care for the "smashmouth" approach to baseball.

Sure the hell doesn't mean I ain't paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Actually, that is the scary thing. What moves is Wayne going to make in desparation to "win now" in order to keep his job?

DanO picked up Dave Williams in desparation. Bowden resigned Haynes and Graves in desparation to save his job.

I think Homer, Harang, Arroyo and Castro are safe. I don't think anyone else is.
    EdE is my pick for the next blockbuster trade to try to win now.
    I agree...it's only a matter of time for Edwin.

Here's the problem with tagging everything on Wayne.

A relief pitchers effectiveness can vary wildly from year to year, or even month to month. (Example Todd Coffey)

The bullpen was a full fledged disaster last year, and Wayne had two options,
    1. Sit on his hands and hope last years disasters pitched better this year.
    2. Go out and sign guys(preferrably ones who pitched well last year.) I think it's hard to argue Stanton, Weathers, et al. pitched well enough last year(or at least better than this slop.)

He signed the players and has been burned. Now he can either hope they get better, or bring up new pitchers but beware of Brian Reithing anyone in the minors.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

[QUOTE=REDREAD;1337214]If Wayne wanted to get rid of Milton as bad as he wanted to get rid of LaRue, he could've gotten it done. Sure, he'd have to eat some salary or take another albotross in return, but he had options. I agree that it's unlikely he'd be able to recover the full 10 million owed Milton this year, but he could've recovered some of it. There was a feeding frenzy this past winter for any pitcher with a pulse.. Milton could've been flipped. Not easy to do, but that's part of Wayne's job.. In contrast, it seems that the Reds are quite happy with having Milton.

So your actually telling me there is another GM out there who would take Milton. Ask yourself this question would you take Milton if you were a GM? As for the Reds being happy to have him, their happy his contract is up at the end of the year.

If he can maintain this pace offensively, it's a good signing. I don't think he can though. While he's made some nice plays, he's also made plenty of key errors that cost us games.

He's made 4 errors this year, of those 4 how many were key errors. I think he has saved some runs too with his glove.

But benching LaRue last year in favor of Ross is what made LaRue's contract an albotross. Dumping LaRue only saved 2 million, so why not just keep him then if no one else wants him. He'd be a much better bench player than anyone else we have.

Narron benched Larue not Krivs, Larue was not happy here being in a platoon situation and wasn't hitting. SAving 2 million may not seem like a lot but it helps.

Wayne's extra money went to Castro, Conine, Stanton, Weathers, Cormier..
    That was free money that could've definitely been used on quality relievers.
    I guess the other signings are debatable, but the fact is that a small market team does have to properly assign its priorities. Conine has been good so far, but would that 2 million been better off spent elsewhere? Robbing Peter to pay Paul is a fact of life for every team except the Yanks.

I agree with you on Castro and Cormier ridiculous contracts that should have not been handed out. Stanton was serviceable last year pitched great in fact with the Giants, I think we all are in agreement he should have only received a 1 yr deal. Weathers is a good guy to have as a middle reliever, who has had a decent year for us. It is true that all teams have to rob Peter to pay Paul the Reds unfortunately have to do it more often than other clubs. We were promised a lot of things when a new park was built. We were promised things when Cast took over, and we were promised things when Krivs was hired. None of which has been seen by any of us. It is an organizational problem.
    Last edited by KoryMac5; 05-09-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Or maybe Brian Reith was a really crappy pitcher who never would have amounted to anything anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If he can maintain this pace offensively, it's a good signing. I don't think he can though. While he's made some nice plays, he's also made plenty of key errors that cost us games.
    You were speeking about Gonzo.

I'd be intersted to read this long list of "plenty" of key errors that cost us games.

Hint: Keep in mind, YTD Gonzo has 4 errors total. But don't let facts stop you when you are dead wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    You were speeking about Gonzo.

I'd be intersted to read this long list of "plenty" of key errors that cost us games.

Hint: Keep in mind, YTD Gonzo has 4 errors total. But don't let facts stop you when you are dead wrong.
    I'm willing to bet that Gonzo slowly regresses back to his mean as far as hitting goes. I'm not celebrating his signing just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Or maybe Brian Reith was a really crappy pitcher who never would have amounted to anything anyway?
    Fair point, still bringing up young guys may not get any worse results but its far from a guarantee of getting better results.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm willing to bet that Gonzo slowly regresses back to his mean as far as hitting goes. I'm not celebrating his signing just yet.
    I agree that his stick is not likely to stay hot for long and that he'll be a streaky sorta guy who has slumps and splurges.

But the main point of my post was asking for this laundry list of games Gonzo has lost us via his errors that REDREAD said were out there. I'm also interested to hear how 4 errors will translate into "plenty of games".

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    How on God's good earth can someone lay the blame of the bullpen on anyone but Krivsky? He's the GM.

He made "the trade"
    He signed Weathers
    He signed Stanton
    He dealt for Cormier and signed him to an extension
    He traded for Saarloos
    He signed Santos

This is his bullpen. Blame Narron or Pole? For what...not being able to squeeze water from a stone? You can only do so much. At some point, you need someone with talent on the mound.

I'll throw a little blame at Big Bob. He talked a big game about spending money and putting a winner on the field.

Why everyone is against Weathers is beyond me. The guy is a good middle reliever. If he was being used in the seventh or eighth, he would be fine. Krisvy has fixed the starting rotation and all people do is call for his head. An entire baseball organization can not be made over in a year and a half. It takes time. I guess most people here wont allow the man time.

Quote Originally Posted by eichstadtreds View Post
    Why everyone is against Weathers is beyond me. The guy is a good middle reliever. If he was being used in the seventh or eighth, he would be fine. Krisvy has fixed the starting rotation and all people do is call for his head. An entire baseball organization can not be made over in a year and a half. It takes time. I guess most people here wont allow the man time.
    Krivsky has "fixed" the starting rotation? I have a feeling you won't be saying that by July.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Krivsky has "fixed" the starting rotation? I have a feeling you won't be saying that by July.
    If you have that thought as to the rotation. Why does the bullpen have to be torn apart. If the starting rotation is going to fall apart, then why can't the bullpen turn around. Lets be honest, none of us thought Coffey would be this bad, he didn't know Majewski, and Bray would be hurt. Baseball is a game of streaks. There is hot streaks and cold streaks. EE is going through a cold streak. Its basball u can't trade everyone or send them to the minors every cold streak. Once desperation sets in is when things really start to go bad. Krisvy isn't a great gm, but he isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He has did a good job. He got us 3 of our starting 8 for nothing, our number three pitcher. He will fix the bullpen give him time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I agree that his stick is not likely to stay hot for long and that he'll be a streaky sorta guy who has slumps and splurges.

But the main point of my post was asking for this laundry list of games Gonzo has lost us via his errors that REDREAD said were out there. I'm also interested to hear how 4 errors will translate into "plenty of games".
    Can't argue with you there.

Turn Off Ads?