Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last place

Last place

Tied with St. Louis at nine back on May 8.

7-11 at home.

On pace for 69-93.
    Makes all the routine posts.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Last place

Just to add to the gloom and doom;the Reds are facing a nine game road trip. Six of those nine are on the west coast. God, help all us Reds fans get through this miserable season.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Positive Run Differential and the Cards are -51, I like our chances of avoiding their type of mess.

Even in the quicksand they're in right now.

We're #5. We're #5.

:
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

On this date, May 9, in 1986, the Cincinnati Reds were 6-18, in last place and 9 games behind the Houston Astros in the NL West. Coming off an exciting 1985 season that saw them end three years of misery and just miss catching the Dodgers for the NL West title, the Reds had been picked in the preseason by Sports Illustrated as the second-best team (behind the Mets IIRC) in MLB.

The Reds lost on May 10, 1986, as well, to fall to 6-19, 10 games behind. They would rebound to post an 86-76 season record, but finished 10 games behind the Astros.

(Thanks to retrosheet for refreshing my memory of all this. )

Why am I bringing all this up? Well, I guess to say that all is not necessarily lost, even though things look rough right now. That's probably where the comparisons between 1986 and 2007 should end, though.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    On this date, May 9, in 1986, the Cincinnati Reds were 6-18, in last place and 9 games behind the Houston Astros in the NL West. Coming off an exciting 1985 season that saw them end three years of misery and just miss catching the Dodgers for the NL West title, the Reds had been picked in the preseason by Sports Illustrated as the second-best team (behind the Mets IIRC) in MLB.

The Reds lost on May 10, 1986, as well, to fall to 6-19, 10 games behind. They would rebound to post an 86-76 season record, but finished 10 games behind the Astros.

Why am I bringing all this up? Well, I guess to say that all is not necessarily lost, even though things look rough right now. That's probably where the comparisons between 1986 and 2007 should end, though.
    Thanks for the perspective, Macro. I was just wondering what it would take to rebound when I looked at whoever's signature said they'll buy us all an "adult beverage" if we reach 83 wins - so we might still be on for a little fest!

Weren't the Reds a bunch of games out in May, 1975?

In no way am I saying this is the 2nd comming of the BRM, just another time in history where all looked lost in May.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Man Pills

Here's a sobering thought:

the only decent teams the Reds have played so far are the Cubs and Brewers.

No Dodgers
    No Braves
    No Mets
    No San Fran
    No Pads
    Only two games against the Brewers

This team is getting drubbed by also-rans and cellar dwellers.

Consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Weren't the Reds a bunch of games out in May, 1975?

In no way am I saying this is the 2nd comming of the BRM, just another time in history where all looked lost in May.
    The 1975 Reds were 19-19 at the start of the day on May 18, 5 1/2 gams behind the Dodgers, and then proceeded to go 41-9 in their next 50 games. I think that was when Pete was moved to third base to make room for Foster in the outfield.

…5 1/2 gams behind…
    :ughmamoru
    Makes all the routine posts.

The 1975 Reds were 19-19 at the start of the day on May 18, 5 1/2 gams behind the Dodgers, and then proceeded to go 41-9 in their next 50 games. I think that was when Pete was moved to third base to make room for Foster in the outfield.
    And they were plus 31 runs.

Every fast start over the last five years has been smashed down by a negative RD, currently it's the reverse situation.

In that case I'm apt to lean towards the Reds under performing, much the same way I was inclined to declare that they were over performing in the prior years.

is that around the time that they realized that Ted Power was cooked, and they gave the closer job to John Franco?

tell Franco's successor to c'mon out, wherever he's hiding

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    is that around the time that they realized that Ted Power was cooked, and they gave the closer job to John Franco?

Pretty Much, they had Power end a lot of games that weren't save situations and they even switched him to a starter in late August.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post

I remember when Power was melting down almost nightly, and the Reds made him a starter, and nobody thought it could possibly work. But he had a productive career after that. Of course, we know that making a reliever into a starter doesn't always work.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Didn't the Reds come from several games out in 1979 to win the NL West over the Alanta Braves?

Only to be swept by the 1979 World Champion Pittsburgh Pirates in the NLCS?
    Last edited by shredda2000; 05-09-2007 at 01:24 PM.
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?