Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bullpen quotes from C. Trent's blog

Bullpen quotes from C. Trent's blog

Here is what various members of the bullpen are saying about all the problems:

Weathers: "Weve got guys who have pitched well in the past. Weve got some young guys. Weve got guys that started and are now in the bullpen. Weve got a lot of things going on, a lot of guys are learning on the job. Were all frustrated. We all want to do well. Nobody feels any worse than we do when Bronson and Aaron and Lohse and Belisle constantly go out there and pitch great ballgames and were the ones coughing it up. Its horrible, weve got to fix it. What ever we have to do as a unit, weve got to do it now. Its not a thing where were out of it, were done. Its a thing where we take pride in what we do and stop talking about we need to get it done weve got to do it. Anyone can say we need this or we need that."

"Jerry cant feel like every time he goes to his bullpen, hes reaching in there and he doesnt know what hes getting. Hes got to do it in a way where we pitch better, we give him confidence and the team gets confidence. When youre just a target, and its my third year here, even when we do good, its not good enough at times. We went on a run last year when it was late where were as good as anyone."

Also, I asked Coffey and Narron about overwork and basically yesterday's discussion.

Here's what Coffey said: "That doesnt have anything to do it. Matt Krause, our strength guy, has kept me on my conditioning routine. I did the same thing last year. My arm feels great, my legs feel great."

"I dont think that has anything to do. Once youre up there, youre up there."

Guardado on the bullpen's struggles: "Its tough. The bullpen is taking a lot of heat right now, Ive been in that situation before. I f you look at it, we have a lot of great arms in there. They can all pitch. Its part of the game. 162 games, weve got a long way to go. If we get our heads together. Nobody said its going to be easy. Were going to turn things around. Weve got way too much. Weve got Stanton and Weathers, thats 36 years of experience right there. Weve got great arms and knowledge down there. Were hitting bumps. I know these guys can get it done."

Stanton: "Ive just got to go out again there tomorrow. I was trying to go down and away and middle, away and he hit it. Hes a good hitter. I just missed my spot, theres all there is to it."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bullpen quotes from C. Trent's blog

Notice Weathers only mentioned the first four starters Milton's name was nowhere to be found. Oversight on his part I think not. I know that C Trent took some heat from Weathers last night eventually someone is going to explode in that locker room.

I don't think ballplayers ego's allow them to have the slightest inkling of how bad things really are sometimes. They honestly believe they can be as good as any bullpen in MLB, they just need to try harder and catch some breaks.

I understand the need for that line of thinking obviously but it still amazes me.

He may have skipped Milton's name, but Milton left with a lead last night albiet 1 run, but it was blown. Yes, it was a great hitter who thrives in this park, but there comes a time when excuses don't cut it anymore and we are there.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

This team can survive better with Eric Milton starting then with a bullpen like they have right now.
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

Click here for FalconBlog

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

People are often the worst judge of their own ability. What do you want him to say? Go the Denny Green route?

"Our bullpen IS who we THOUGHT we WERE.... "

Or perhaps the bluntly honestly approach.

"Namely, we're a few decent but inexperienced young guys, a few guys who never really panned out and are trying to hang on, and a few mediocre older guys whose best days are behind them. We could be league average if everything breaks right, but we're scuffling right now due our own ineptitude and Jerry's usage patterns."
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Stanton: "I’ve just got to go out again there tomorrow.

Please no!!

Turn Off Ads?