Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Death of the Bengals

Death of the Bengals

I'll admit, I didn't know that the Bengal Tiger (Panthera tigris tigris), national animal of India and Bangladesh, was an endangered species, and strictly protected by the governments of those countries. There are estimated to be less than 2,000 of these beasts living today.

In Bangladesh, the last 200 Bengal tigers dwell in the Sundarbans, the world's largest mangrove forest. Every year during the rainy season, the Sundarbans - which are only centimeters above mean sea level - are submerged anywhere from a few inches to a few feet of water.

For many years, this fragile environment between the mainland and the sea has been a World Heritage Site and protected as a unique habitat for a large number of species. Now it is seriously threatened. Salt from the sea has severely stressed the mangroves, which, in contrast to normal trees, breathe with their roots. Due to a lack of funds, researchers are unable to ascertain the exact source of the problem, but they have described a mysterious dying of trees, which starts when the canopies of the huge mangroves rot away. This is widely attributed to the higher salt content in the water. In addition, the trees have simply stopped growing, says an employee of the forestry department.
    Bapi sits pensively at the bow of his wooden boat. In his lap is a loaded rifle, just in case. Time and again, he points to the mangroves that are already slowly dying. "It's a crying shame because this forest is unique in the world. People eventually ruin everything," he says. He used to have an advertising slogan for his exclusive clients: "Come to the Sundarbans before the tourists come." But Bapi is changing his slogan to reflect the realities of today. His slogan for the future is "Come to the Sundarbans while it still exists."
    The Salty Taste of Global Warming
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Death of the Bengals

I thought one of the Cincinnati Bengals were jumped in prison... I was way off

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I thought one of the Cincinnati Bengals were jumped in prison... I was way off

I thought this might be of interest to the Bengal fans out there, seeing as how our team is named for them.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I thought that new NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell was really getting tough on the enforcement of "good character" rules for NFL players-man, "Pacman" Jones thinks his suspension was severe, but it wasn't the death penalty.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Bad Zombie, very bad Zombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I'll admit, I didn't know that the Bengal Tiger (Panthera tigris tigris), national animal of India and Bangladesh, was an endangered species
    Just one of many... but as a fellow Red Zoner once said, Who cares about the Polar Bears?

Well.... I do, tigers, gorillas, elephants, etc..

Tigers have it tough.

They're incredibly lethal and they live in one of the most overpopulated regions on the planet. So you've got humans constantly encroaching on their territory and there's simply no way to co-exist with wild tigers. Then you add in habitat degradation and you wind up with with even less room for them.

Jaguars are going to have the same problem in the not too distant future too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?