Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rickey Henderson wants back in

Rickey Henderson wants back in

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6792418

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Roger Clemens' big announcement this week has Rickey Henderson hoping some club might give him one more chance to make a major league comeback.

Otherwise, he will call it a career -- for good this time.
    "Seeing Roger come back, all the seed that it plants is ask me to come back one time," Henderson said Tuesday in the Mets clubhouse before New York played the San Francisco Giants.

"I'm going to look at it at the end of the year. I might come out with some crazy stuff, a press conference telling every club, 'Put me on the field with your best player and see if I come out of it.' If I can't do it, I'll call it quits at the end," he said.

On Sunday, the 44-year-old Clemens announced during the seventh inning of the Mariners-Yankees game that he would once again put on pinstripes and return to the Bronx to pitch this season.

"I see Roger can come back and play. I can come back and play," the 48-year-old Henderson said. "They say I've done too much. What'd he accomplish? ... The players they put on the field nowadays, they couldn't make it in my day. They'd get sent back to Triple-A."

Henderson played in the independent Golden Baseball League two years ago, trying to attract the attention of big league teams. He hasn't played in the majors since appearing in 30 games for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2003, his 25th year at baseball's highest level.

Henderson, a special instructor for the Mets this season, is the career leader in runs scored (2,295) and stolen bases (1,406) and is second behind Barry Bonds in walks with 2,190. He also has 3,055 career hits, 297 home runs, won the 1990 AL MVP award and made 10 All-Star games. He won an AL Gold Glove in 1981 as an outfielder with Oakland.

He caught a foul ball in the stands Monday night, saying: "Showing 'em I've still got good hands. The ball found me. I was so quick."

Henderson is four months younger than Mets infielder Julio Franco.

"Julio's out there. I know I can play with Julio," Henderson said. "You need to name a whole lot of players before you get to Julio. ... I just want a spring training invite. Most clubs said if I got an invite, I'd probably make their club, but (they) don't have a spot."

For now, Henderson is keeping busy and fit by maintaining the 455 acres he owns near California's Yosemite National Park. He hasn't hit the gym for a while, but he drives a tractor, rides horses and raises cows -- and insists he will win a trophy in competitive fishing one day.

"I'm an old country boy. I don't look like it," he said.

But if he landed a deal like Clemens' one-year contract for $28,000,022, Henderson said he could get himself back in baseball shape in a hurry. By June, no less.

Henderson also is a realist.

"I'm through, really. I'm probably through with it now," he said. "It's just one of those things. I thank the good Lord I played as long as I played and came out of it healthy. I took a lot of pounding."

Henderson said the "bitter" thing about it is that he didn't get to leave the sport on his own terms: finishing on the field.

If his playing career indeed is over, Henderson will stay involved in baseball and even pull on a uniform from time to time to help out. He enjoys coaching players in the fundamentals of leading off and baserunning.

"I always want to be around the game," he said. "That's something that's in my blood. Helping them have success feels just as good."
    Any chance Wayne is interested?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rickey Henderson wants back in

Well Barry Larkin is only 43 so maybe he should consider coming back. Only kidding of course but I was hoping that when Linder left Barry would want to return in some capacity. What would it hurt though to activate him on Sept. 1st providing they have an opening they could make on the 40 man roster and let him have a deserving sendoff into retirement.It won't happen but it would be nice to see.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Senor Votto

Henderson's age qualifies him to be a Red. I'd like to see him in Cincy and get rid of Castro.

Of course he'd have to be on a 2 year deal.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I saw him a couple of years ago playing in the Golden League - Indy Ball.

I remember he had at least three walks - and had a ridiculous OBP for the season, up near .500 - with of course a bushel of steals.

He was coaching 3rd base some innings as well. I think he forgets how huge of a chasm it is between Indy ball and the Majors - he was not a good ball player the last time he gave it at run. Now he's just older & most likely slower.

Minnie Minoso hopes he doesn't get back in.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Henderson's age qualifies him to be a Red. I'd like to see him in Cincy and get rid of Castro.
    The Rickey would look great as our leadoff guy.

Unfortunately, that would mean Dunn would have to play 1B, and we haven't seen much of that in Cincinnati between 2001 and the present.

At this point in the season, why not? Sign him as a gimmick. It might draw some fans.

And it might help Dunn find his 1B mitt.

Speaking of Juan Castro, why exactly did we re-sign him? To keep a seat on the bench warm? I mean he has had a grand total of 26 AB. He is definatley a better glove man than EE and the way EE is hitting that is a wash so why are we not playing him? Seems rather stupid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    At this point in the season, why not? Sign him as a gimmick. It might draw some fans.
    I was thinking the same thing---But, what if the Reds traded for Julio Franco as well??? would the club be in line for the lucrative Metamucil ad money?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by bigredbunter View Post
    I was thinking the same thing---But, what if the Reds traded for Julio Franco as well??? would the club be in line for the lucrative Metamucil ad money?
    Whatever increases revenues to translate into more money for salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredbunter View Post

The Red's would also save money. The players meal perdiem could be cut by 10% as they would all get the senior discount.

Can he pitch in the later innings?

Quote Originally Posted by vic715 View Post
    Well Barry Larkin is only 43 so maybe he should consider coming back. Only kidding of course but I was hoping that when Linder left Barry would want to return in some capacity.
    Carl Lindner was not the problem. John Allen was, and continues to be.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by berryluther View Post
    The Red's would also save money. The players meal perdiem could be cut by 10% as they would all get the senior discount.
    They don't get that already?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Carl Lindner was not the problem. John Allen was, and continues to be.
    And just exactly how does John Allen remain the problem? I think many agree that Castellini moved Allen into a position where his strength lies. I don't think he has anything to do with the constructing of the team whatsoever. Another Redszone canard.

Turn Off Ads?