Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Runners/Joggers:

Runners/Joggers:

So I am trying this new fad called jogging, or yogging it may be a soft "J" I don't know, but apparently you just run.

Anyway, I have decided that I am going to run in a full 26.2 mile marathon in October of this year. As of last week I was not a runner. I don't think that I am in bad shape, I play basketball 3 times a week. I have started an 18 week training program and my goal is to do the marathon in 3.5 hours. I am not sure if I have set my sights too high or too low.

My first semi long run of my program was yesterday and it was 8 miles. Before I started it I honestly didn't think I'd be able to finish, so I started out very slow and I did the 1st mile somewhere around 14 minutes and the 2nd mile at about 11 minutes. As I went on I realized I was feeling ok so I picked up the pace and finished in about 75 minutes. I realize that's pretty slow but I didn't really know what I was doing. Afterwards I felt great and I still played basketball for a while. So I am feeling better about accomplishing my goal than before yesterday.

I guess my questions are:
    Is my goal realistic and if so should I be aiming higher?

Secondly I wonder if I should keep lifting weights? I lift about 3 times a week and have put on some weight in the last few years which has been my goal. I am 6'2'' and weigh about 215 right now, when I played basketball in college I weighed about 185. I am wondering if I am carrying to much weight right now to reach my goal? Should I stop lifting all together or go with lower weight and more reps or keep doing what I am doing?

I would appreciate any insight any runners on the board would have. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 05-10-2007 at 02:04 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Runners/Joggers:

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    lol. What's embarrassing is that I have done that, I didn't know there was a name for it though. And I didn't know there were competitions for it. I won 25 bucks because my friend bet me that I couldn't juggle and run to the end of the parking lot and back. He was wrong.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 05-10-2007 at 02:34 AM.

Your gola of 3 1/2 hours may be somewhat high, especially never having done this before. As new as you are to this though, having an 8 mile run under for belt is pretty good, though. Most important are doing 1 long run a week- any more long runs than that you can really risk breaking down physically. You also want to run once a week and your anticipated race pace. Probably you want to increase both these distances 1 mile a week until the long slow run is 20 or 22 miles, and the race pace run is maybe 18 or so. The odd thing about the marathon is most runners don't run the complete distance during training. If your training maxed out at 20 miles, at that point in the race, you still have a full 10K to run, and that can be intimidating, so I would advise to maybe ease up on your goal. Take an easy week every 3 weeks or so and at least 1 day off a week. Rest is a key factor. When you get the long runs stretched out to near 20, you might want to either plan a run so you can stop off at home for a banana or something, or get a few gel packs- they are convenient- you just rip the top off and suck the goo out and take a drink- no reason to stop, really. Good luck!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Your gola of 3 1/2 hours may be somewhat high, especially never having done this before. As new as you are to this though, having an 8 mile run under for belt is pretty good, though. Most important are doing 1 long run a week- any more long runs than that you can really risk breaking down physically. You also want to run once a week and your anticipated race pace. Probably you want to increase both these distances 1 mile a week until the long slow run is 20 or 22 miles, and the race pace run is maybe 18 or so. The odd thing about the marathon is most runners don't run the complete distance during training. If your training maxed out at 20 miles, at that point in the race, you still have a full 10K to run, and that can be intimidating, so I would advise to maybe ease up on your goal. Take an easy week every 3 weeks or so and at least 1 day off a week. Rest is a key factor. When you get the long runs stretched out to near 20, you might want to either plan a run so you can stop off at home for a banana or something, or get a few gel packs- they are convenient- you just rip the top off and suck the goo out and take a drink- no reason to stop, really. Good luck!
    Thanks for the input. I think my training program is set up pretty close to the way you suggested.

I ran a marathon in 2004 and don't classify myself as a runner either. My goal was 4 hours and I ended up doing it in 4 1/2 because I bonked with about 4 miles to go.
    I was in really good shape when I ran it and I'm about the same size as you. If you aren't a runner 3 1/2 is a pretty fast pace. Its definately possible but for your first marathon might be lofty. In my training my longest run was 22 miles and that's where I died in the actual race.
    With your question about lifting I would say stop. You really don't need to lift legs at all. I actually found that my legs got much stronger from running than they ever did when I lifted.
    Best advice I can give you is to get a good pair of running shoes. When I started training I was just using cross trainers that I always wore and after about 12 miles my feet would kill me. Naturally I thought that was just because running 12 miles is no small task. Well about 6 weeks before the race I went to a running store and had someone get me a good pair of shoes. My feet never hurt again.

Goodluck.

Leading league in hotness

I'm just going to name a couple of little things that I notice help a ton.

As a runner (in high school), I find it difficult to begin a long run (7+ miles for me) without having at least a mile warm-up. It definitely helps to warm-up before any run.

After your warm-up, STRETCH. I used to be the most inflexible kid around, but since I've started running and stretching, my flexibility has increased exponentially. This has helped improve my time. Stretch before and after you run: it helps prevent cramps/injury, improves speed, prepares the muscles, and flexibility is a big part of running (sometimes).

Avoid drinking soda. Soda will do no good for you, it just dehydrates you and believe it or not it destroys calcium molecules in your brain. Drink lots of water before and after runs.

About the lifting, I wouldn't go heavy. Working your upper body won't have a major effect on your running, so if it is something you enjoy doing, then do it. But the legs, I would do hardly, if any lifting. Running makes your legs plenty strong, and more lifting would just wear your legs out

Make sure you gradually adapt to the stress you put on your body. If you plan on following a training program like 919191 suggested, don't make your first few weeks of hard days at race pace. Your hard days should be about 80% of race pace, and gradually build up. Take about 3-5 weeks before you go every hard day at race pace. Too often I've heard great runners being injured by stress-factors from overtraining.

I definitely agree with BuckeyeRed27 when he says get some running shoes. These shoes should help you greatly. They reduce stress on ankles and feet, they work like miracles.

Most importantly, REST. Make sure you don't go too hard on rest days. You definitely want some distance on rest days, but don't push too hard. I always find it hard to run slow when running by myself, but you just have to be disciplined. I've read about numerous Olympic coaches who say the rest days are the most important, so don't overdo it.

Hey, I admire what your doing, and it is a goal of mine someday, maybe just a little faster

Good Luck!

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I know for a fact that the Jogglers pitched their sport to people in the Olympic movement, in order to get Olympic or Pan Am status (which would have meant funding).

I wish I could have been in the room for that sales pitch.

They got tossed out unceremoniously, as did the people trying to pitch "foot volley"

http://www.footvolley.com/photgallery/index.html
    Stick to your guns.

I would also suggest getting at least 2 pairs of shoes and alternating them. They will last longer, and you don't want to go to marathon race day with new shoes, or really anything new. You don't want to find out your new shoes blister your feet on mile 13, or an inseam in your singlet is making you bleed.

And drink some beer every night!
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Man, I hate running. I was hoping to get a mile in this morning... didn't work out as planned. Probably 5-7 minutes of a fast paced jog. Will be sore for a week, and I'm only 20 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Man, I hate running. I was hoping to get a mile in this morning... didn't work out as planned. Probably 5-7 minutes of a fast paced jog. Will be sore for a week, and I'm only 20 years old.
    I think you'd be surprised. I hadn't run for any distance at all in a little more than 3 years and I ran 8 miles on Monday and I felt great the next day. We're young our bodies can handle it.

found this training schedule on-line..

I was actually looking at the half marathon one which I'm hoping to run next may.

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm
    Last edited by Hoosier Red; 05-11-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Which marathon are you running? I ran the cincinnati one last year and have done 2 half marathon's so far. My goal was just to finish the race and I did in 4 hrs and 40 minutes. I basically tried to maintain a 10 minute mile pace. It is a very physically and mentally draining experience and takes a lot of training to accomplish. You will find some days when you fell really good when you run and others when you dont.

My recomendations are as follows
    Go to a running store and buy a pair of shoes. They will fit your foot and it will help greatly. You can alternate shoes but I just had one pair.

Buy a few good pairs of synthetic socks (smartwool), running boxers, and a thing called body glide.

Hydrate. I gave up drinking alcohol about a month before the race and quit drinking coffee and pop 2 weeks before the race.

I lift weights very frequently in the winter and not so much in the spring because I golf quite a bit. I would say that it is ok as long you do lighter excercises focusing on your legs and core you will be ok. I rarely did any chest or bicepts during my training.

3.5 hours is a pretty good pace. If you were a former athlete you probably could do it and it is a good starting point. I would not be opposed to move the goal higher if you feel that you can not reach you pace. You will get a better felling of how fast you will be able to run when you start doing your longer runs.

I would get a watch or anther runner to set a pace with. Pace is very important because if you take something out too fast you will not have enough energy to finish.

I'm going to try the Indianapolis Marathon at the end of October.

I had no idea there was such a thing as synthetic socks, and I'll be interested to find out what body glide is. Thanks for the suggestions.

I gave up drinking pop a couple years ago. I drink about a gallon water a day.

I've thought about raising my goal to 4 hours, but at this point even if I did that I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about 3.5. So even if I made in under 4 I'd still be angry with myself for not making it in 3.5.

Thanks for the suggestions, thank you to everybody.

One other thing any thoughts on training on a treadmill vs. running outside? So far I've done both. I like running outside but there are times when I feel like watching the Reds game or a basketball game while I run.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'm going to try the Indianapolis Marathon at the end of October.

I had no idea there was such a thing as synthetic socks, and I'll be interested to find out what body glide is. Thanks for the suggestions.

I gave up drinking pop a couple years ago. I drink about a gallon water a day.

I've thought about raising my goal to 4 hours, but at this point even if I did that I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about 3.5. So even if I made in under 4 I'd still be angry with myself for not making it in 3.5.

Thanks for the suggestions, thank you to everybody.

One other thing any thoughts on training on a treadmill vs. running outside? So far I've done both. I like running outside but there are times when I feel like watching the Reds game or a basketball game while I run.
    As a person who's been running regularly for 3 years, I would've tried the Chicago marathon first. But it's OK. I've been told by many, many people that Chicago's is the best place to run for your first because it's flat and the fan support is outstanding. Cincinnati's is hilly and slow. As for Indy, I think it's fairly decent and I think you'll like it.

Like everyone has said so far, you need 1 long run a week. Personally, I wouldn't worry about time or pace for your first marathon on your long runs. I would just try and finish your long runs. I haven't ran one yet, but I wouldn't. My goal is just to finish. I guess I would have a goal of like 3.5 hours, but I'm just going to go out and run on my long runs when I train for my first one.

Drink lots and lots of water.
    Remember to load up on carbs the night before the race as I'm sure you'll be told a million times.
    Stretching is so important, yet many people skip it. It really does help your performance.

Turn Off Ads?