Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This is one question that NEEDS to be asked of the Reds Front Office...

This is one question that NEEDS to be asked of the Reds Front Office...

I sent the same question to 1530 and i wonder if they ask it as well...

Growing up I remeber the Big Red Machine took infield/outfield practice Right after batting practice BEFORE EVERY GAME that I saw in person, so i assume they did it every game !!! what makes this Narron's last place Reds so special they dont do it?? And i dont care other teams dont do it now, this team wants to win?? they need to do whatever it takes to get things changed... I wonder how many more games they would have won if they cared enough to do this before each game??? and had their minds focused??

To me if Jerry doesnt have the guts to tell his players to do this, then the Reds need to bring in somebody that will!! And Jerry can sit at home teling his friends what a baseball guy he is!! because to me if the team isnt playing the game the "Right Way", a change is needed NOW!!!
    Because if I was the manager and watching this defense which was supposed to be better play this way, I would have the guts to tell them they will be taking infield everyday to save my job!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This is one question that NEEDS to be asked of the Reds Front Office...

I think teams should take infield/outfield before games, but I don't know of any team that does it anymore. You sure can't base a manager firing on that.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post

Growing up I remeber the Big Red Machine took infield/outfield practice Right after batting practice BEFORE EVERY GAME
    The BRM also layed down bunts and hustled on and off the field.

Times have changed, and while not for the better, I dont see it changing back to the way it was anytime soon.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

So, how do you know that they don't do infield practice? The Reds batting practice/practice in general wraps up before or right as the gates open to the fans. So, you have no idea what they do.

I'm not saying I don't agree about the fact that more practice would help out a great deal...but, how do YOU know. I'm just curious.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

Quote Originally Posted by Grounds_Crew View Post
    So, how do you know that they don't do infield practice? The Reds batting practice/practice in general wraps up before or right as the gates open to the fans. So, you have no idea what they do.

I'm not saying I don't agree about the fact that more practice would help out a great deal...but, how do YOU know. I'm just curious.
    Marty said it on the radio that they do not do this!

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    I think teams should take infield/outfield before games, but I don't know of any team that does it anymore. You sure can't base a manager firing on that.
    The Pirates do. Several teams have modified their "early" time (before BP 2-3:30) and take a variation of infield during that time. Not the light fungo hitting while batting practice is going on. The Reds do neither. The players run the show.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I would like to see this happen. I would like them to open the gates a little earlier so we could watch. I can't think of anything that would be more encouraging than to take the kids down to the park to watch the Pro's practice.

Do it, Reds. Do it. It might even do some good.

Whether or not you take a few groundballs before the game is not going to change the outcome of the game at all. You can either field a groundball, or you can't.

I remember one year in high school we opted not to take infield practice before the game and only lost 3 games and played stellar defense too. If high school kids are capable of that, then surely major leaguers are too.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by killuminati35 View Post
    Whether or not you take a few groundballs before the game is not going to change the outcome of the game at all. You can either field a groundball, or you can't.

I remember one year in high school we opted not to take infield practice before the game and only lost 3 games and played stellar defense too. If high school kids are capable of that, then surely major leaguers are too.
    You can also either hit the ball or you cant but that doesnt stop teams from taking batting practice.....just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    The Pirates do. Several teams have modified their "early" time (before BP 2-3:30) and take a variation of infield during that time. Not the light fungo hitting while batting practice is going on. The Reds do neither. The players run the show.
    If this is the case then I've lost all respect for Narron and his ability to develop our young talent, he has the nerve to say this about Ed E.
    "We want him to make sure he works hard on his defense," Narron said.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/705110407/

I don't know about this year...but in my previous 3 years with the Reds, I saw them do infield practice during batting practice most of the time.

They often have early afternoon workouts for the catchers too. So, I dont know why Marty said that the Reds dont do this. Like I said, it might be different this year...but I've seen infield practice many times.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

This team has alot of problems. Not taking infield practice an hour before gametime ISNT one of them..... I think it would be fun to watch but that's about the impact-public relations
    Last edited by jojo; 05-12-2007 at 10:05 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    The BRM also layed down bunts and hustled on and off the field.

Times have changed, and while not for the better, I dont see it changing back to the way it was anytime soon.
    The BRM didn't bunt as much as you think.

Sparky hated bunting
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The BRM didn't bunt as much as you think.
    They also struck out more than most think. But that's for another day and another thread.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?