Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milton to the DL, and Sundays pitcher will be...

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Milton to the DL, and Sundays pitcher will be...

CINCINNATI -- The Reds found themselves down a fifth starter Wednesday when pitcher Eric Milton went on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained left elbow.

It immediately opened speculation over whether top pitching prospect Homer Bailey would get called up to be Milton's replacement for this Sunday's game at Los Angeles.

Milton, who is 0-4 with a 5.17 ERA in six starts, gave up four earned runs and seven hits over 5 1/3 innings and got a no-decision in Tuesday's 7-6 loss to the Astros. The left-hander said his elbow started barking early in Tuesday's game after he tried to throw a slider.

"It didn't feel too good," Milton said. "I had been struggling with the elbow all the way back to last year. Last night, I thought was something more serious and needed to be checked out."

Milton, 31, had two stints on the DL last season, including one for a sore elbow that required arthroscopic surgery on Sept. 22. Because of that, team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek ordered an MRI exam that ultimately revealed the inflammation from a sprain.

"It was nothing serious," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said.

Milton, who had allowed 11 first-inning runs over his last five starts, will be shut down from throwing for 7-10 days. His fastball velocity during the past few starts had hovered mostly in the 84-86 mph range.

"It's definitely down," Milton said. "I'd like to get it taken care of and come back and get better. I'm searching for answers. It's not fun to deal with. I just want to be pain free and healthy."

Reliever Jared Burton was summoned from his rehab assignment at Triple-A Louisville and gives the beleaguered Cincinnati bullpen eight relievers for the time being. Another move is expected this weekend when the club names a starter on Sunday.

Full Article

------------------------

I think they should give Homer his shot, but I'm not sure they will. Why mess with the kid's development schedule for a last place team? Then again, would he give us the shot in the arm we need to get into the chase? It is still extremely early in the season...

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Milton to the DL, and Sundays pitcher will be...

Something tells me it will be Dumatrait or Livingston before Bailey. I get the feeling Wayne is committed to giving Bailey at least a half season down at AAA.

For funzies, I'd like to see Dumatrait given the chance. I think we know what we have in Livingston. He wouldn't do much to change the outcome of this season. I'd like to see what Dumatrait offers for this year and beyond. If he succeeds, then we keep him bringing up Bailey later in the year (after trading Lohse?). If Dumatrait fails, then we bring up Bailey in a few weeks.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    For funzies, I'd like to see Dumatrait given the chance. I think we know what we have in Livingston. He wouldn't do much to change the outcome of this season. I'd like to see what Dumatrait offers for this year and beyond. If he succeeds, then we keep him bringing up Bailey later in the year (after trading Lohse?). If Dumatrait fails, then we bring up Bailey in a few weeks.
    I couldn't agree more. Give Dumatrait a chance
    Go BLUE!!!

Homer Bailey is getting his ML start in Cincinnati.

You think it might sell out?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Give Dumatrait a chance

Dumatrait is not the guy. He has pitched ok, but his K numbers are down at AAA. When on his game, he Ks guys. He also has a lot of walks at AAA. Based on the numbers, he is not quite ready and could benefit from more AAA time.

Livingston is the clear choice for a couple of starts. He did well in the spring, has a good WHIP (doesn't walk anybody) and is just more ready.

Dumatrait's walks bother me. He's a nibbler and I don't think that'll translate well to the big leagues. I think I'd lean more towards Livingston as I think he's best prepared to succeed at this point.

I doubt it'll be Bailey. I agree they want to leave him in AAA and work on cutting down on his walks and I think they also want to replace Milton with a left hander

It should be Livingston...last guy in the spring to get "cut" from the starters mix...it's his turn in the rotation in Louisville...let him take a crack at it...

Please keep Homer away from the mess we are in at the moment...

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

Quote Originally Posted by coachw513 View Post
    ...Please keep Homer away from the mess we are in at the moment...

Worth The Wait

You think it might sell out?
    Honestly, no. I think the Reds have so distanced themselves from the fanbase that starting Homer would only rouse up the die-hards. Maybe an extra 1,000 or so would come out, but I seriously doubt the casual fans would really give a rip.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think Sunday's starter will be Bobby Livingston

Bailey Sunday.

I think Sunday will be a committee day with Saarloos getting the start. With an offday on Thursday, look a patch for Sunday with the Reds using the rest day later in the week to keep the rotation on a normal rest pattern. This is of course unless someone gets rocked early in the weekend and drains the pen. Then its Livingston.

Otherwise this is a good spot to bring someone up for their ML debut as both of the first two starts would be on the road and the premier on the road in a pitcher's park.
    Last edited by klw; 05-10-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling

The Reds' return home after their long road trip against the Nats could use a shot of adrenaline. Saarloos to stop-gap a start this weekend, and then Bailey to make his major league debut at home against the Nats? Not a completely unlikely scenario...

Sandy Koufax - even though Art Shamsky drafted him to play with Israel Modi'in Miracle. Koufax said he's young enough to pitch for the Reds, and looks forward to playing before the crowds at Dodgers Stadium and playing for the team whose university first gave him a chance to play.

He just wants to make sure he doesn't have to face the Xavier player who hit a ball from UC's field up to old St. George Church, although he understands that might be in keeping with the present bullpen performances.

Turn Off Ads?