Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Livingston to start Sunday

Hybrid View

Livingston to start Sunday

According to 700 WLW Bobby Livingston gets the start Sunday in Los Angeles.

Re: Livingston to start Sunday

Boo
    "There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great." G.K Charleston

Sounds like you may be on to something. Trent's blog says Narron is saying it's either Livingston or Dumatrait.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

The reds brass has something against giving young guys a shot at the league.I mean Homer is as ready as hes ever going to be and sending EE down was a horrible mistake.Let your young players come up and play so they can work out their problems here.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    The reds brass has something against giving young guys a shot at the league.I mean Homer is as ready as hes ever going to be and sending EE down was a horrible mistake.Let your young players come up and play so they can work out their problems here.
    Could not disagree more on the topic of Homer. The guy still needs to work on his control, and his K numbers have dropped significantly. Why start his clock early when he obviously needs more time to develop?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Could not disagree more on the topic of Homer. The guy still needs to work on his control, and his K numbers have dropped significantly. Why start his clock early when he obviously needs more time to develop?
    Agree Cat, Homer, although good, still has a ways to go before I want him pitching for the Reds. His time will come, most likely this year, but not now.
    ...And this one belongs to the Reds!!

As I said in another thread...Mr C has not stated he wants to win later but rather now.If I was the manager and knew my job was on the line....I wouldnt want to play guys and let them grow on the job. I would want to put the guys out there who gives me the best chance to win.(granted whether JN does that is debatable)

I've heard the Reds are a little disappointed with Homer's progress to this poing. He's not controlling the fastball the way they believe he needs to, and still hasn't developed his other pitches. They think he's further away than they hoped he'd be.

Again, this is just what I've heard -- from a fairly reliable source.

I think Mr. C is lying through his teeth if he says that the June 1st arb date doesn't mean anything. Its not the fact that Homer isn't the best pitcher in the minors, because he is, its when his arb clock starts ticking. Look at some of the contracts that have been given to both average pitchers, above average pitchers, and good pitchers, they are outrageous. If Homer is brough up early this year then he is 1 year closer to making 10-15+ million. If he is called up sunday then he makes what 4 starts before june 1st? So lets assume he would make 2 home starts. If the reds stadium capacity is 42,000 and the reds average 20,000 and lets assume Homer starts and he sells out both home games he pitches before June 1st. He will bring in roughly 44,000 more people that would originally have come. Lets assume that bringing him up now cost the reds $10 million due to the fact that the reds would basically one cheap year of Homer. The reds basically would have to sell each additional ticket for $230 to make up for the cost difference. It just isn't going to happen and as a fan of a team with limited resources I wouldn't want them to make a snap decision that would cost the team significantly in the long run.

Fay is reporting that it's official now.

Reds just announced that Bobby Livingston will get the start Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think Mr. C is lying through his teeth if he says that the June 1st arb date doesn't mean anything. Its not the fact that Homer isn't the best pitcher in the minors, because he is, its when his arb clock starts ticking. Look at some of the contracts that have been given to both average pitchers, above average pitchers, and good pitchers, they are outrageous. If Homer is brough up early this year then he is 1 year closer to making 10-15+ million. If he is called up sunday then he makes what 4 starts before june 1st? So lets assume he would make 2 home starts. If the reds stadium capacity is 42,000 and the reds average 20,000 and lets assume Homer starts and he sells out both home games he pitches before June 1st. He will bring in roughly 44,000 more people that would originally have come. Lets assume that bringing him up now cost the reds $10 million due to the fact that the reds would basically one cheap year of Homer. The reds basically would have to sell each additional ticket for $230 to make up for the cost difference. It just isn't going to happen and as a fan of a team with limited resources I wouldn't want them to make a snap decision that would cost the team significantly in the long run.
    PERFECT POST.... I am in support of this rationale as well.

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post

June 1 is not an absolute date, this site lays it out fairly well:

http://www.letsgotribe.com/story/2006/6/23/15557/1077

The relevant part is:

The final catch is the Super Two rule, which is applied to players with more than two years of service time but less than three. Each year, the top 17 percent of these players (in service time) also become arbitration-eligible -- adding millions to their salary, both that year and probably in the future. Because past salary is one of the factors in arbitrated salaries, reaching arbitration a year earlier will also boost a player's salary in all future years.

If Super Two status is to be avoided, generally it's best not to let a prospect accumulate as many as 130 days of service time before the end of the season.
    There will be right around 130 days left after Sunday, so it's probably not the main issue.

"Spicy Habanero"

Homer isnt ready he's walking WAY too many guys and his strike out ratio is down. Until he gets his control precise and has his curveball working we will not see him!

My person opinion is Dumatrait even though he's walk rate is super high as well. I just think he has better stuff than Livingston. I'm sure we'll see Livingston though.. Just my 2 cents..
    "I think everybody here is definitely excited about (Eddie) Guardado. It wasn't a save situation, but when you've lost a couple like we have, it felt like a save situation." -- Reds manager Jerry Narron on using his newly acquired closer Eddie Guardado.

Who will be sent down or cut to make room for him?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Who will be sent down or cut to make room for him?
    We can only hope Stanton.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Turn Off Ads?