Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Marshal wants to end all arm injuries.......

Mike Marshal wants to end all arm injuries.......

Former Dodger Cy Young Award Winner Mike Marshall, who has a Ph.D. in exercise physiology believes he's come up with a pitching motion that will eliminate arm injuries. Watch the video, interesting and strange stuff. Anyone know who the oft injured Reds pitchers from earlier in the decade that were sent to him?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mike Marshal wants to end all arm injuries.......

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Anyone know who the oft injured Reds pitchers from earlier in the decade that were sent to him?
    Rijo?
    Most Vottomatic Player

I didn't try it full speed, but that motion looks to remove a lot of the pressure from the shoulder and transfer it to the elbow and wrist.

Even if it eliminates "all arm injuries" it'll be at least a generation before it takes off. Can't exactly teach old dogs new tricks.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I didn't try it full speed, but that motion looks to remove a lot of the pressure from the shoulder and transfer it to the elbow and wrist.

Even if it eliminates "all arm injuries" it'll be at least a generation before it takes off. Can't exactly teach old dogs new tricks.
    Yeah, it might eliminate shoulder injuries, and transfer them to elbow injuries.

Looks good to see the hand not dropping low causing that whip like effect. Also, the lead foot lands so far open he cannot throw across the body - opposite of a Dontrelle or a Sid Fernandez. Looks like a windmill kinda motion that seems to place more upper body weight "behind" the shoulder throughout the entire range, thereby relieving stress to the shoulder AND elbow it appears.

So much for the drop-and-drive technique according to Marshall! Interestingly, the 3 drop-and-drive guys that come to mind; Seaver, Ryan and Clemens, all pitched well into their 40's effectively without much arm trouble. They might be genetic freaks, but they sure had a lot in common and played a combined 75 years virtually injury free. Perhaps Marshall's technique can work for a great many pitchers, but I just don't see it for power pitchers or "leg guys".

I kinda like Dr. Marshall, but his works needs testing and success at the ML level.

I think it's cool stuff. If you were a GM, would you give it a whirl with some lower level prospects?

Re: Doesn't Marshall hold the single season record...

...for most games pitched? 104 I believe; though I remember this from years back, it may be broken now.

106 games

Anyway, to me that looks like it puts a lot of torque on the elbow and wrist, I'm not sure if it's a 'different' kind of torque thats less stressful than standard pitching or what.

Would I allow a pitcher to give it a shot in A ball? Yes absolutely.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

got alil captain in u?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    106 games

Anyway, to me that looks like it puts a lot of torque on the elbow and wrist, I'm not sure if it's a 'different' kind of torque thats less stressful than standard pitching or what.

Would I allow a pitcher to give it a shot in A ball? Yes absolutely.
    i agree start with a few guys in A ball as an experiment never can hurt

I also read the article, it would seem like someone would want to give it a shot. Baseball unfortunately is a closed clique and once you are on the outside it is hard to get back in. One of his pitchers is going to have to be successful along the way and then he may get a chance to work some magic.

Looks like an overhand version of a fast pitched softball. I don't think there is such a thing as a pitching motion that avoids all injuries but I would like to see a major league use his methods.

Didn't the Reds have a Mike Marshall disciple in the minor leagues a couple years back? I seem to recall someone in A Ball who was pitching in relief that had a nasty screwball and was really racking up the strike outs.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Am I dumb or does it seem like it's alot easier to pick up what pitch is coming?

Watching that video I couldn't help but think that a major league hitter would be all over any pitcher that tried this after an AB or two.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

since your arm was not meant to throw a ball 90 mph, or a breaking ball, any motion by the arm can result in injury, no matter what motion you use. There are some examples of guys going their whole careers without injuries, but we should look at the norm instead of the "freaks."
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

I remember reading about this about five years ago or so. It's always sounded interesting and been a good read but I would have thought somebody would have tried and tested this technique by now but I have never heard anyone having any success with it.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    Am I dumb or does it seem like it's alot easier to pick up what pitch is coming?
    You've nailed precisely the paradox of pitching in the major leagues. So many scouts praise the guys with the smooth fluid motions and consistent release points. And in a way they should. Those guys stay healthy and have an easier time throwing strikes.

But it's the herky jerky guys who throw from umpteen different arm angles that scare the crap out of hitters and can be the most diabolical before their arms flame out.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Turn Off Ads?