Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Adam Dunn doesn't suck

Re: Maybe Adam Dunn doesn't suck

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Being in better shape might go a long way towards making a correction in the attrition department.
    Hopefully you're right. Only time will tell.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Dunn has an amazing April. Sound familiar?

The test will be how he performs throughout the summer. Check out his splits for his career.

April: 1.083 OPS
    August: .820 OPS
    September : .732 OPS

April isn't his problem.
    This is May. Dunn almost always has a horrible May but this year he's at .294/.400/.765 - 1.165 as opposed to his three-year splits from 2004-2006 for May: .201/.356/.469 - .825 OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    This is May. Dunn almost always has a horrible May but this year he's at .294/.400/.765 - 1.165 as opposed to his three-year splits from 2004-2006 for May: .201/.356/.469 - .825 OPS.
    Hey, maybe he will put a whole season together this year. That would be awesome. But getting out to a hot start this season doesn't guarantee that he has turned the corner, since he typically does rip it up early on.

By the way...May 1-10 in 2006, he had 4 HR and 9 RBI. May 11-31, he had 4 HR and 6 RBI.

I'm rooting for him, but I'm also trying to be realistic.

People overreact on Dunn, good and bad. If he hits 260 with 45 homers 950OPS, my guess everybody will be happy. Except the ones that believed he was a 1.000+OPSing machine in 2001.

I'd be happy with a 900+ OPS. We'll see, I still would probably pick up his option and then move him in a trade mid season next year. Bruce should be ready by then.
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Marge'sMullet View Post
    I'd be happy with a 900+ OPS. We'll see, I still would probably pick up his option and then move him in a trade mid season next year. Bruce should be ready by then.
    Why trade Dunn?

We no longer have Denorfia, so our OF post KGJ needs to be Dunn/Hamilton/Bruce.

Adam Dunn is part of the long term solution in Cincinnati, and not part of the problem.

Is there an equivalent "Adam Dunn doesn't suck" thread like this one last year at about this time?
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Dunn has an amazing April. Sound familiar?

The test will be how he performs throughout the summer. Check out his splits for his career.

April: 1.083 OPS
    August: .820 OPS
    September : .732 OPS

April isn't his problem.
    Understandable, but it's May now. He looks to be improving so far. We'll see if it carries late into the season.
    Last edited by fisch11; 05-11-2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Rephrased
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

He's going to need occasional days off. He got worn down in previous years playing 160. Narron's aware of it -- let's see if he follows through on his stated desire to do a better job of resting him.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

He's trying a different approach. I think it's one that finally fits him.

I'd expect him to still revert every now and then to the longer, looping swing that he's trying to modify.

You don't forget how to crawl when you learn how to walk. It's a deep groove which you can easily fall back into under pressure.

The longer he goes, the more experienced and more confident he'll become with the changes he's made.

He's also had a lot of life changes this past year. Some guys take longer to grow up than others.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Adam's 27, he's more experienced, he seems more focused, and he's learned to take better care of his body. He looked really tired to me last September, both mentally and physically. I do believe he's approaching the game much differently now, and hopefully this will carry through the year.

He's always going to be a very streaky hitter, prone to weeks of slumping, and weeks of wreaking havoc on NL pitching.

I'd try to sign him to a LTC. It'll cost, but I think it would be worth it.

If he's not in the Reds long term plans (and who knows if he is?) and they are planning on trading him for prospects or pitching, it might be best to do it sooner rather than later.

But I'd like to see him stay here, long term. He's an excellent hitter, a great teammate (I loved how he spoke out and stuck up for Milty), has a wonderful sense of humor, and doesn't take himself too seriously, while showing lately that he is taking his work very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    He's on pace to score 139 runs with 51 HR and 111 RBIs.
    51 HR and *only* 111 RBIs would give the anti-Dunn crowd something to wag their tongues about.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Sometime I'm as Anti-Dunn as most of us on here, but it was brought to my attention that 139 runs would help this team, I am glad he is slightly improving, I am not sold yet, wake me up when Septmeber ends.
    Bowled my 8th 300 game 01/31/2011.

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    51 HR and *only* 111 RBIs would give the anti-Dunn crowd something to wag their tongues about.
    Those numbers will come with nearly 200 Ks as well. The "anti-Dunn" crowd will have plenty to scream about even if Adam has a career year in 2007.
    Last edited by BRM; 05-11-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'd say if he does that, the anti-Dunn crowd would be pretty small.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?