Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maybe Adam Dunn doesn't suck

Re: Maybe Adam Dunn doesn't suck

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    True. But the point was that he didn't have to sign the extention.
    Signing the extension didn't significantly extend his time in Cincy but gave him a lof of financial security. I'm not saying there's no chance Dun will sign a discounted extension. But, I do think it's unlikely.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    OK, back to actually talking about Adam Dunn instead of talking about people talking about Adam Dunn.

Here's something pretty remarkable -- after 0-2 counts this year, Dunn is OPSing .957!!!

Dunn's OPS history after 0-2 counts:
    2006: .372
    2005: .443
    2004: .318
    2003: .408
    2002: .671
    I posted this on another thread..along those same lines.

0-2, 1-2 counts

2004-2006, he had those counts 394 times, and struck out 264 times on the next pitch.

He had a total of 5 dingers in those 394 ab's, and OPs'ed .262.
    That's one dinger every 80 ab's for those counting at home....almost like recommending David Eckstein to go up there swinging for fences every at bat. Not a good idea.

If he just tries to hit the ball squarely in those situations...he'll probably jump that rate to 1 per 30..he's that strong. But don't try to hit that pitch into the river.

That's the problem...do something when you're 0-2 instead of swinging for the fences. He's been better at that this year, a lot better actually. That's 1/4 of his ab's....imagine the potential if he jumps his OPS in those situations to a meager 600? MVP candidate, that's what.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    Signing the extension didn't significantly extend his time in Cincy but gave him a lof of financial security. I'm not saying there's no chance Dun will sign a discounted extension. But, I do think it's unlikely.

Yes, but he could have gone year to year in arbitration making the Reds decision to keep him very difficult the more his salary increased. They could have believed it was too expensive to keep him after he won a huge arbitration award one of those years and traded him. It's basically saying, pay me what I want or trade me.

Oh, and in that interview, Dunn said that he wondered what it would be like to play for the Astros. Not that he actually wanted to play with them. But, since it was Adam Dunn who said that, it got taken out of context and proportion and it became, "I hate Cincinnati and want to play for the Astros."
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post

0-2, 1-2 counts

2004-2006, he had those counts 394 times, and struck out 264 times on the next pitch.

That's one dinger every 80 ab's for those counting at home....almost like recommending David Eckstein to go up there swinging for fences every at bat. Not a good idea.

If he just tries to hit the ball squarely in those situations...he'll probably jump that rate to 1 per 30..he's that strong. But don't try to hit that pitch into the river.

That's the problem...do something when you're 0-2 instead of swinging for the fences. He's been better at that this year, a lot better actually. That's 1/4 of his ab's....imagine the potential if he jumps his OPS in those situations to a meager 600? MVP candidate, that's what.

Excellent post.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yes, but he could have gone year to year in arbitration making the Reds decision to keep him very difficult the more his salary increased. They could have believed it was too expensive to keep him after he won a huge arbitration award one of those years and traded him. It's basically saying, pay me what I want or trade me.

Oh, and in that interview, Dunn said that he wondered what it would be like to play for the Astros. Not that he actually wanted to play with them. But, since it was Adam Dunn who said that, it got taken out of context and proportion and it became, "I hate Cincinnati and want to play for the Astros."

I remember that interview.

Adam was ask if he ever thought of playing for the Astros, He said yes.

Has there ever been a little boy who hasn't thought about playing for his home town team?

I'm sure Dunn doesn't hate Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post

0-2, 1-2 counts

Well, his high OPS after 0-2 counts this season is based almost entirely on 4 of his 6 hits going for extra bases.

23 ABs, 6 H, 1 2B, 3HR, 0BB, 12 K, .261 BA, .261 OPB, .696 SLG.

He's still ending more than half of those ABs with a K. It looks like he's just gotten lucky and crushed a couple of mistake pitches. Small sample size is skewing the data.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Adam Dunn at 0-2 is an out. That will never change.

Asking a 6'6 slugger to shorten up and slap the ball is like asking Shaq to become Mark Price at the foul line. It's just not reasonable or possible.

He is the best hitter on this team for a reason, doesn't mean he possibly can get Vlad like plate coverage. Don't mess with it. People need to realize that Adam Dunn is what he is.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I remember that interview.

Adam was ask if he ever thought of playing for the Astros, He said yes.

Has there ever been a little boy who hasn't thought about playing for his home town team?

I'm sure Dunn doesn't hate Cincinnati.
    Its beats me how a comment that there are rumbles that Dunn wants to go to Houston becomes "I'm sure Dunn doesn't hate Cincinnati".

I think Astrobuddy was most responsible for propagating those Dunn dissatisfaction rumors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Its beats me how a comment that there are rumbles that Dunn wants to go to Houston becomes "I'm sure Dunn doesn't hate Cincinnati".
    My post was in reply to Chips post.

After that interview there were many post here on Redszone saying Dunn wants to go to Houston he doesn't want to play in Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Dunn is also on pace to steal 28 bases this season, which I find to be the most amazing stat of all.
    19 SB in 2001 in a half of season. Sure it's been 6 years ago but with a different regime you never know what may reappear again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    My post was in reply to Chips post.

After that interview there were many post here on Redszone saying Dunn wants to go to Houston he doesn't want to play in Cincinnati.
    OK. My point was that it's certainly possible Dunn would want to go back to Houston when he's a FA. It that were the case a discounted long extention beyond 08 would be very unlikely. I've never heard that he dislikes Cincinnati or the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Well, his high OPS after 0-2 counts this season is based almost entirely on 4 of his 6 hits going for extra bases.

23 ABs, 6 H, 1 2B, 3HR, 0BB, 12 K, .261 BA, .261 OPB, .696 SLG.

He's still ending more than half of those ABs with a K. It looks like he's just gotten lucky and crushed a couple of mistake pitches. Small sample size is skewing the data.

Someone mentioned before an 0-2 hit recently that Dunn choked up after he got to 0-2? Does anyone remember if that's the case?

Again, I'm not saying he should become Brett Butler when behind in the count...just change your mindset to go with whatever is given to you. He's shown some success, perhaps it's luck, I'd like to think he's finally adjusting. Time will tell.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I remember a year or so ago, when the Reds were in Houston, he was quoted as saying he'd like to play nearer his home.
    Nope; wrong again.

He was asked if he'd like to play in his hometown.... he answered (paraphrasing, because I'm not going to look up the article): "Doesn't everybody want to play in their hometown someday?".

And the beatwriters went wild about him wanting to leave Cincinnati. After all the hubub, Adam expound that that was NOT what he was saying at all, and explained what he meant.

But it never dies...
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Nope; wrong again.

He was asked if he'd like to play in his hometown.... he answered (paraphrasing, because I'm not going to look up the article): "Doesn't everybody want to play in their hometown someday?".

And the beatwriters went wild about him wanting to leave Cincinnati. After all the hubub, Adam expound that that was NOT what he was saying at all, and explained what he meant.

But it never dies...
    Sometimes I long for the days when the media didn't create the news...then I realize that they never existed.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?