Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should we worry about Milwaukee?

Should we worry about Milwaukee?

We are now 4 games behind Milwaukee, and they are considerably above.500. It is a long season, but they seem to be our main competition in the NL Central. They have good starting pitching,a good bullpen, and quality hitters. If we are not careful, we could find ourselves playing for the wild card rather early. It would be very hard for us to win enough for the wild card.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should we worry about Milwaukee?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    We are now 4 games behind Milwaukee, and they are considerably above.500. It is a long season, but they seem to be our main competition in the NL Central. They have good starting pitching,a good bullpen, and quality hitters. If we are not careful, we could find ourselves playing for the wild card rather early. It would be very hard for us to win enough for the wild card.
    i honestly think we should worry about everyone in this division because i don't think anyone is head and shoulders above anyone else. However, i do feel that if the reds had won games up to this point that they realistically should have, they would still be right with milwuakee or even ahead of them.

Gosh, I don't know. They are the Brewers, but many franchises shake off the cobwebs and make the playoffs eventually. I think mroby's right, though. No one is likely to run away and hide in the NL Central. For some reason I think it will be the same old Cardinals and Astros battling come late September.

There is something different about this Brewers team. I think they are a legitimate concern.

I honestly dont think anyone else in the Nl Central will see.500 this year(except maybe us) Tonights game showed how easily Milwaukee handled St. Louis,AND I am worried they will run off and hide in this division.Again,its a long season, but we should try and stay within striking distance while they are this hot. I do think it will be a 2 team race; the Brewers and whoever is able to eventually challenge them(I hope its us).

Considering the situation the Cardinals are in, I'm not sure that the Brewers "handling" them is really saying a whole lot.

Like a lot of people, I think everybody but the Pirates will be battling for the 83-84 wins it will take to clinch the division.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I have been worried about the Brewers since last season ended. Ive got 25 bucks on them finishing ahead of the Cardinals with my buddy who still cant grasp the concept that they are actually a good team because 'they are the Brewers and the Cardinals are much better'. The Brewers were my favorite to win this division and it seems to be shaping up that way early.

Doesn't their pythag show that they shouldn't be winning as many games as they have so far? If so, they won't continue this.

They're up there though, and they have just as good of a chance as anybody else. This division is horrible.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Doesn't their pythag show that they shouldn't be winning as many games as they have so far? If so, they won't continue this.

They're up there though, and they have just as good of a chance as anybody else. This division is horrible.
    That doesn't always hold true.... the 1987 Twins finished 85-77 and won a WS despite being outscored by 20 runs on the season.

The Brewers actually have been outscored by 3 runs so far this season though.

The Reds are dead even at 109-109, while the Cubs are outscoring teams 110-88 but have a losing record.

Today, on my daily trip to the bank, I had XM's baseball channel on in the car (as I always do), and they had some "expert" on there talking about the Central Division. First off, when I'm driving, I don't get every detal, but I get the gist of what's going on, so I don't know who it was. It was the 1:00 PM timeframe.

Anyway this guy was saying the Brewers would be strong all year because of their pitching and offense. Then they went through our division and said the Cardinals were looking like last year's early season team while the Cubs were getting things straightened out and would challenge the Brewers. Houston was also getting things ironed out while Pittsburgh and Cincinnati were doing what they always did--nothing. Not a mention of what our starting pitching has done and really down on management and offense. No respect.

I have no idea what the Brewers will do, but I know that they play like the 1927 Yankees against us and that makes me wish them nothing but bad luck for the rest of the year.

That said, they got into payroll an mentioned that Chicago had a $100 million payroll and St. Louis had a $90 million team while the Astros were at $88 million and the Brewers were at $72, I think. The Reds were at $68 and the Pirates at $39. The Brewers had the low payroll among contenders, but they had spent their money wisely. The preiction was Brewers, Cards, Cubs, Reds, and Pirates in that order. And only the first three would have winning seasons. Looking at those numbers, I had to question why we ranked 4th out of 5 teams in payroll considering how Cincinnati had the third largest population and if Griffey, Dunn, and Milton were taken out of the payroll it would be only slightly above the Pirate payroll.

I hope we fool them all this year, but you have to wonder. Can a Cincinnati compete in this division with a low payroll? It's a valid question.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

If you go down the lineup - the Brewers are superior to the Reds at just about every position player & hurler - especially the bullpen.

I would say (and did before the season) that the Brewers should win the Central, and if they keep playing like they are now, they'll win it running away.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

If the Reds don't win it, I sure hope the Brewers do. They remind me of a classic-play-the-game-like-you-should club. Bunch of hustlers and scrappers. Gotta like that.
    Witty signature.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Just wait until Ryan Braun makes an appearance next month.

Should we worry about Milwaukee? Short answer-yes.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think we ought to be concerned with everyone in this division. It is absolutely wide open, although if any club gets hot (and especially if they stay hot), it will be a cake walk. I've been saying for several years that the Brewers would be competing in this division. I, for one, don't buy that this is a mediocre division. There are some good clubs in it and the way ML schedules are now, with so many games within your division, it's little wonder that the wins aren't as high as other divisions.

Turn Off Ads?