Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brandon Phillips, 30-30 guy?

Re: Brandon Phillips, 30-30 guy?

As it stands now, Brandon Phillips is on pace for 31 homeruns and 33 stolen bases. Can he become the first Red to go 30/30 since Barry Larkin did it in 1995? I believe he has a solid chance to accomplish the 30/30 feat if he can remain healthy. There is only one thing holding Brandon Phillips back from becoming a big-time star in this league, and that one thing is a biggie - plate discipline. Phillips has the power, speed, hitting ability, and defense to be a star, however, his lack of plate discipline is keeping him from becoming a star. If, and that's a big if, he can just improve a little and start walking, oh, say, 60 times a year as opposed to the 35 he had last year (which is also around the pace he is on this season), then he could really take off and become a special player. Hopefully he recognizes this and is working to improve upon it. He is a good hitter right now, but I would love to see him take a step forward and become a great hitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    He's absolutely capable of a 30-30 year. It might not happen this year, but I'd be willing to bet he'll put one or two up in his career.
    I was going to post the same thing when I read your post. I agree 100%.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    Does his swing just look like he is pulling off the ball, or does he actually try to pull everything?

When I watch him I just can't help thinking that why aren't the Brook Jacoby's of this team trying to correct that?

With his talent, 30-30 is not out of the question. Consistency is the question.
    not sure how many but a lot of his homers are laser like line drives to right. He's hitting to all fields. There aint nothing wrong with his swing. I'd like some more walks but as long as he isnt striking out a ton, Im Ok with his approach.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I think there's gold gloves in his future as well...

Phillips and Hamilton keep their hands back better than everyone else on the team. That is why they are so hard to pitch to and can hit to all fields. Phillips would be one of the best players in the game if he had a little bit more patience.
    Hard to complain about him right now though.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    We could always root for individual suckiness.
    Lohse and Arroyo have a chance at 20 losses

Phillips is having a nice season, I just wish he wasn't always in the 2/4 spots.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    He's absolutely capable of a 30-30 year. It might not happen this year, but I'd be willing to bet he'll put one or two up in his career.
    When that happens, I'm betting he is priced out of Cincinnati. Should a team with the financial restraints of a middle/small market pay a second baseman for the glamorous statistics of 30 homers and 30 stolen bases when he only walks 35 times a year?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

wrong thread

Phillips would rather sign a long-term contract and spend the rest of his career in Cincy than make the All-Star game.

"It'd be nice," said the second baseman, "but to tell you the truth, I'd rather have a long contract to stay here than worry about the All-Star team. I want to spend the rest of my career here. I'd rather have a long-term contract with the Reds than make the All-Star team. You can write that down."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....706300378/1035

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

BP is a fine ballplayer; I've really grown to be a fan of his, after initial concerns about his attitude (which, as I reflect on it, turns out to be MY PROBLEM and not Brandon Phillips).

With just a bit more patience at the plate, he can be great. As it is, he's pretty good.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    When that happens, I'm betting he is priced out of Cincinnati. Should a team with the financial restraints of a middle/small market pay a second baseman for the glamorous statistics of 30 homers and 30 stolen bases when he only walks 35 times a year?
    He only walks 35 times per year, but he also plays fantastic defense at a position that demands proficency with the glove.

Plus, I remain very convinced that BP has the tools to become patient at the plate if he were to be paired with a good hitting instructor. He has the skillset to induce more BBs just from being pitched around -- the only trick is getting someone to teach him to recognize when he is being pitched around.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

If Krivsky were any good, he'd get us players like Brandon Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    If Krivsky were any good, he'd get us players like Brandon Phillips.
    And Josh Hamilton. I wish the reds had that guy.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?