Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 90s music?

Re: 90s music?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Fudge Tunnel, Alice Donut, Silkworm, Daddy Longhead...
    Alice Donut, good lord.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think the mid-90s get an unfair rap as a bad music era. I've always felt that. Some pretty glorious and still very unsung music during that period.

Aside from the bigger names like Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Sebadoh, you had great music from bands like Rodan (who absolutely blew me away in concert), Silver Jews (Dave Berman's probably the best songwriter of the last 20 years), Unwound and Polvo (the Mathletes crowd--but still eminently rockin), Guided by Voices (the greatest pop group in the last 20 years--screw you, Of Montreal), the Grifters (maybe THE most underappreciated rock band ever).

I actually think the early-mid-90s were something of a musical heyday--akin to the era of the bands that erupted in the wake of the early 80s West coast punk scene.
    I loved Guided by Voices and got major street cred at my college radio station for knowing them. Our station was one of those that specialized in music played by people even we didn't know.
    We tried to get GBV to play at our music festival, but they refused due to their need to have pitchers of beer supplied for them on stage. (STUPID DRY CAMPUS)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Assponies and Butt Trumpets? Man, I'm glad I almost exclusively listen to country music.

Fudge Tunnel, Alice Donut, Silkworm, Daddy Longhead...
    I saw Alice Donut in 1987 in Nelson cafeteria at OU.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I think the mid-90s get an unfair rap as a bad music era. I've always felt that. Some pretty glorious and still very unsung music during that period.

Aside from the bigger names like Pavement, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Sebadoh, you had great music from bands like Rodan (who absolutely blew me away in concert), Silver Jews (Dave Berman's probably the best songwriter of the last 20 years), Unwound and Polvo (the Mathletes crowd--but still eminently rockin), Guided by Voices (the greatest pop group in the last 20 years--screw you, Of Montreal), the Grifters (maybe THE most underappreciated rock band ever).

I actually think the early-mid-90s were something of a musical heyday--akin to the era of the bands that erupted in the wake of the early 80s West coast punk scene.
    Good stuff.

Britpop. Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Supergrass (one of the most underrated bands ever) all came about in the 90s. And those are just the superfamous ones. It was a great decade for unabashedly British music. And on our side of the pond, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Beck, Fiona Apple, my beloved Rufus Wainwright, they all came about in the 90s, and again, these are just some of the famous ones.

The 90s were my musical coming of age and there are some really seminal albums from the decade -- Ok Computer, Automatic for the People, Loveless, Screamadelica, Vitalogy, Three Feet High and Rising, that's all just off the top of my head and I know I could come up with about 20 more pretty easily. I've always thought the 80s were the underappreciated decade, really; the good stuff seemed to get more buried behind radio tripe that decade.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    you probably are

I'll agree though it is weird to think that I was just 10 years old in 1997.
    I thought I was kind of young on here....

I was 17!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Britpop. Radiohead, Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Supergrass (one of the most underrated bands ever) all came about in the 90s. And those are just the superfamous ones. It was a great decade for unabashedly British music. And on our side of the pond, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Beck, Fiona Apple, my beloved Rufus Wainwright, they all came about in the 90s, and again, these are just some of the famous ones.

The 90s were my musical coming of age and there are some really seminal albums from the decade -- Ok Computer, Automatic for the People, Loveless, Screamadelica, Vitalogy, Three Feet High and Rising, that's all just off the top of my head and I know I could come up with about 20 more pretty easily. I've always thought the 80s were the underappreciated decade, really; the good stuff seemed to get more buried behind radio tripe that decade.
    College rock in the eighties ruled.

The Cure
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Pixies
    Meat Puppets
    Camper Van Beethoven
    The Replacements
    Afghan Whigs
    Superchunk
    Sonic Youth
    firehose
    XTC
    Jane's Addiction
    REM
    The Smiths

It was a great time to be music fan if you looked hard enough.
    Last edited by pedro; 05-11-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    I was in college as well, and I, like Johnny, bought tons of CD's from that era. Most of it, I don't listen to anymore. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice In Chains are the ones that stuck. I still listen to their stuff from time to time.

The day Kurt Cobain died we were having a pig roast at our fraternity house. I was drunk by 10am. I took a nap at 2pm and woke up by 4 and started drinking again....ahhh, those were the days...
    What house were you in?

I was working at Europe Gyro that day. IIRC, we had just gotten our liquor license and everyone was excited about beer delivery.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    College rock in the eighties ruled.

The Cure
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Pixies
    Meat Puppets
    Camper Van Beethoven
    The Replacements
    Afghan Whigs
    Superchunk
    Sonic Youth
    firehose
    XTC
    Jane's Addiction
    REM

It was a great time to be music fan if you looked hard enough.
    well said. many of the bands that got famous in the 90's owe a great deal to these bands that flew under the radar in the 80's.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I remember when my friend gave me a mix tape with Fugazi Repeater on one side and Nirvana Bleach on the other - that was like a musical awakening for me. That was shortly before the Nevermind/Pear Jam-Ten/Alice in Chains-Dirt explosion. Great times. Some unreal bands that came out of that - I'm still a big fan. My Ipod is loaded with them - Screaming Trees, Dinosaur Jr, L7, Faith No More, Suicidal Tendencies - all great bands I enjoyed immensely.

Good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I remember when my friend gave me a mix tape with Fugazi Repeater on one side and Nirvana Bleach on the other...
    Oh, man, double-length cassette tapes. How awesome were those?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Oh, man, double-length cassette tapes. How awesome were those?
    I used to remember spending a little extra and getting those 120 minute tapes - coolest invention known to man.

Ahhh - Nirvana. One of the best bands ever..... Wish they were around.

Collective Soul anyone?
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

I've rebought a mp3 player, after my first ipod was stolen, when I looked through my list of songs, I had forgotten I had alot them on there.

Bands like Suicidal Tendencies, Danzig, Gwar, Guttermouth, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, and my others populate the airwaves from my mp3 player. Mix in some Dio, Sabbath, assorted goth/deathmetal (whichever you perfer to call it) and you have the foundation of the 2,000 songs currently on my mp3 player.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?