Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: O&A / XM apology

Re: O&A / XM apology

They get fired, I cancel my XM subscription. I don't want the merger to happen. O & A go, so do I. I'm sure others feel the same way. MLB on XM or not, I won't keep it without those guys. Also, I dont feel they should have to apologize for anything. Homeless Charlie made the remarks. Besides, isn't satellite supposed to be free of all the scrutiny that regular radio has to endure?
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Howard Stern has never advocated any DJ being fired for something they have said. He's been fired enough where he thinks its BS. He doesn't like O&A, but he wouldn't call for them to be fired over this.

Now, over their ratings, he will point that out all day and that they should be fired for them, but not for anything they say.
    Fair enough. I just thought it seemed like there was some crowing about O & A getting in trouble and possibly getting fired again and I wasn't sure if that was coming from Stern himself.

I've actually listened to both. I listened to Stern in my younger days, but I got tired of the way he always complained about his life. This was before he and his first wife divorced, so that might have been part of it. O & A I didn't really care for when I first heard them, but they've grown on me after listening to them on XM. I think the first time I really couldn't turn the station was when they were doing commentary on clips from the movie "Grizzly Man." I also really enjoy Anthony Cumia's impersonations and they have a lot of good comics on the show. But I think it's more of a personal preference, so I don't begrudge anyone their Stern.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Stat geek...and proud

I like both shows, and I think this stinks for O & A (and Lil Jimmy).

O&A have just been suspended for 30 days by XM. To me that is a ridiculous suspension for something said by a guest on a satellite radio show.

WASHINGTON and NEW YORK, May 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM Radio announced today that the company has suspended Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, hosts of "The Opie & Anthony Show" and ceased broadcast of the show for 30 days, effective immediately.

XM Radio deplored the comments aired on "The Opie & Anthony Show" last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology.

Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them.

As a company, XM provides customers with tools to control what they listen to on XM. "The Opie & Anthony Show" appears on one of XM's explicit language channels (XL). Whenever a radio is tuned to an explicit language channel, the letters "XL" continuously appear on the screen. XM frequently mentions on its explicit language channels that the content may be inappropriate for certain listeners and tells how to "block" channels that feature this type of content. Channel blocking is available through xmradio.com or by calling 1-800-XMRADIO.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    O&A have just been suspended for 30 days by XM. To me that is a ridiculous suspension for something said by a guest on a satellite radio show.
    Wow. The furor seemed to have died down already. It seems like XM just "picked the scab."
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post

It may be and if XM wasn't trying to do that merger, they probably wouldn't have caused much of a fuss. But they are and XM is relying on the government to let this merger go through. Saying things about government officials is not a good idea when your company is trying to get their approval. After the merger is approved, they can probably say whatever they want about whomever they want. But, for right now, they have to play ball.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Stat geek...and proud

My XM Radio is on suspension for 30 days too. I guess I'll listen to Howard for 30 days.

I hate O&A, but on satellite radio, they should pretty much have no restraints as far as what they say. That's the entire point for satellite radio to exist. I'm very disappointed in the decision and the precident that this may lead to. :thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It may be and if XM wasn't trying to do that merger, they probably wouldn't have caused much of a fuss. But they are and XM is relying on the government to let this merger go through. Saying things about government officials is not a good idea when your company is trying to get their approval. After the merger is approved, they can probably say whatever they want about whomever they want. But, for right now, they have to play ball.
    The only problem with that approach is that I suspect they've just alienated a whole bunch of O & A fans in the process. If the merger doesn't go through, they're likely going to have to really push the MLB angle. I'm an XM fan, but as it is I've already noticed that stores just aren't carrying nearly the selection of radios that are offered for Sirius. Last time I was in Best Buy or Target, they had huge Sirius displays and, oh yeah, there's the XM radio over there if you want one. Not a good sign.

I think that if the merger doesn't go through, XM may have some real problems and it's probably not wise to tick off a sizable segment of your customer base. I have a feeling O & A are done. 30 days is a long lay off for fans to stick around.

I just hope they don't do something stupid like pick up Rover's Morning Glory to replace it. I hate that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    The only problem with that approach is that I suspect they've just alienated a whole bunch of O & A fans in the process. If the merger doesn't go through, they're likely going to have to really push the MLB angle. I'm an XM fan, but as it is I've already noticed that stores just aren't carrying nearly the selection of radios that are offered for Sirius. Last time I was in Best Buy or Target, they had huge Sirius displays and, oh yeah, there's the XM radio over there if you want one. Not a good sign.

I think that if the merger doesn't go through, XM may have some real problems and it's probably not wise to tick off a sizable segment of your customer base. I have a feeling O & A are done. 30 days is a long lay off for fans to stick around.

Perhaps. But no one but the folks from XM knows how Justice is taking those remarks. Were they mad? Did they even know about it? Are they indifferent? Did they think it was funny? But the big question is how will it affect the merger. Suspending O&A for 30 days may be something like how a school who was nailed by the NCAA sanctions themselves in hopes of a lesser or no penalty by the NCAA.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps. But no one but the folks from XM knows how Justice is taking those remarks. Were they mad? Did they even know about it? Are they indifferent? Did they think it was funny? But the big question is how will it affect the merger. Suspending O&A for 30 days may be something like how a school who was nailed by the NCAA sanctions themselves in hopes of a lesser or no penalty by the NCAA.
    Well, actually I would hope that Justice would focus on the effects of the merger on the radio market rather than the content of shows on satellite radio. If that's the case, I would think that with this administration, Sirius carrying the Playboy channel would be of greater concern. People say rude stuff about government figures all the time. I just don't see why XM is making a bigger deal out of this than it is. It's certainly a lot tamer than the whole "Sex in St. Patrick's" fiasco that got them fired from broadcast radio the last time.

If they're out, I'm out. I paid almost $400 for my Inno and it will now collect dust. I can listen to the Reds on local radio, and it's free. Freedom of speech is dead...
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    If they're out, I'm out. I paid almost $400 for my Inno and it will now collect dust. I can listen to the Reds on local radio, and it's free. Freedom of speech is dead...
    If this same situation had happened to Howard Stern, I would be as upset as you Fade. Satellite radio sold us a bill of goods as being the spot for uncensored material. XM is going way to far on this. Potential merger or not, this can only harm satellite radio as we know it.

I'm not sure commercial free music (without uncensored talk shows) is enough to make the consumer switch to satellite.

I have four active memberships in my household. If they begin to censor Howard, I'd really have to question to logic in keeping them all.

Yeah I don't get XM's reasoning on this one at all...

here's my question: What if the government told XM and Sirius that they could merge only under the caveat that they'd have to accept FCC guidelines and censorship with regards to content? I'd tell 'em to shove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

And that'd be an incredibly savvy move by the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters -- basically the traditional radio lobby/special interest) getting Congress to approve the merger under such a caveat b/c they'd essentially be robbing satellite of its greatest "recruiting aspect" for potential subscribers: censor-free radio.

XM and Sirius refuse to submit to those restrictions, the merger fails and the companies eventually go bankrupt.

The NAB and testicular radio win either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?