Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: O&A / XM apology

Re: O&A / XM apology

An interesting caveat, though, Chip, is that I *believe* that satellite radio keeps those ratings and usage reports as internal information, quite different from the published ratings of terrestrial radio. I *think* that's correct. Which *could* play into the O&A situation vis a vis their worth to XM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    The recent ratings report says otherwise.

If anyone who has had XM from the start could chime in as to whether or not O&A were ever an extra surcharge, I'd really appreciate it, b/c I could swear I heard that from a source that I viewed as credible.

I think also a large part of this kow-towing is that XM doesn't want to risk rocking the boat for this merger b/c if the merger doesn't go through, one of these companies is likely to go bankrupt, and right now XM is beginning to lag. I'm truly just trying to analyze the situation here, not trash O&A or take "Stern's side" or anything.
    For the first few months they were on XM there was a $2 surcharge to get O&A. There has not been a charge to get them since. So it has been over a couple of years since there was a charge.

Someone else asked about their Free FM show. They are still on that show. It is obvious they can't talk about the XM situation because they did the CBS show today and while I didn't hear much of it I understand they did not mention the XM suspension in any way. By the way for any O&A fans that want to still hear the CBS show you can here it hear from 6-9 AM every day:

http://tuner1.dc1.sonixtream.com/sol...e=true&type=NN

This whole situation has everything to do with this merger. Several times during the congressional hearings about the merger it has been mentioned by congress whether satellite radio needs to have it's content regulated. I think this is the first step in a big problem with this merger. While I don't think the merger ever gets approved if it does you can bet satellite radio will no longer be totally "uncensored". If the goverment is going to approve it they will want in some way to censor content. I think this is XM showing they will police their own talent to try to get a merger approved. It sets a horrible precedent and it will just continue to get worse.
    Last edited by Reds Fanatic; 05-16-2007 at 11:21 PM.

From earlier in the thread, worth bringing up again in response to the issue raised by Reds Fanatic above:

Yeah I don't get XM's reasoning on this one at all...

here's my question: What if the government told XM and Sirius that they could merge only under the caveat that they'd have to accept FCC guidelines and censorship with regards to content? I'd tell 'em to shove it.
    And that'd be an incredibly savvy move by the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters -- basically the traditional radio lobby/special interest) getting Congress to approve the merger under such a caveat b/c they'd essentially be robbing satellite of its greatest "recruiting aspect" for potential subscribers: censor-free radio.

XM and Sirius refuse to submit to those restrictions, the merger fails and the companies eventually go bankrupt.

The NAB and testicular radio win either way.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The recent ratings report says otherwise.
    Their FreeFM ratings haven't been great in a lot of their non-traditional markets. They're still a decent draw on the East Coast in markets like NYC, Boston, Buffalo, and Philly.

They do have a legitimate beef with the ratings in several markets, however, because they're on tape-delay. In Cleveland, Columbus, DC and any West Coast market, they don't broadcast live, which will hurt any show.

But, on the whole, you're right; their last quarter ratings with FreeFM were not good.

If anyone who has had XM from the start could chime in as to whether or not O&A were ever an extra surcharge, I'd really appreciate it, b/c I could swear I heard that from a source that I viewed as credible.
    XM was the first gig they had back from the Sex in St. Pats debacle that got them bounced from WNEW back in 2002. Given that, XM was rightly afraid that they had a potential liability on their hands with the show doing something stupid or offending listeners on the platform. The solution was to make O&A an "opt in" channel so nobody who didn't want to hear it would have to -- and the brass decided to charge for it, figuring the first wave of people to sign on for the show would be their fans anyway.

Once they went a sufficient amount of time without killing anyone, they were let back onto the regular spectrum. Part of this was in response to Howard starting to make rumblings he'd be joining Sirrius, the other part was (allegedly) O&A begging to broadcast to a bigger audiance than just the fans that had followed them to XM after the 2 year layoff.

Interestingly, depending on who you listen to now, O&A have either been fired outright or are going to come back from suspension on June 15th, once again as a special "opt in" channel on the service. You won't have to pay this go around, just have to go online and select that you wish to hear the channel on your account summary.

I think also a large part of this kow-towing is that XM doesn't want to risk rocking the boat for this merger b/c if the merger doesn't go through, one of these companies is likely to go bankrupt, and right now XM is beginning to lag. I'm truly just trying to analyze the situation here, not trash O&A or take "Stern's side" or anything.
    I've come to the conclusion that this is an effort by XM/Sirius to begin building a case for themselves that they don't need FCC content controls because they are self-policing when it comes to content viewed as unacceptable. The NAB is going to scream from now until merger day that the FCC needs to tie the hands of satellite radio as part of any deal. That'll be the big fight in the approval process and both XM and Sirius are now minding their Ps and Qs so that the NAB doesn't have a library of stuff to go to Congress with and say "See, you need to watch these guys!"

And, both sides need one another. Sirius is gaining subscribers a little faster but it also is costing them more money to acquire each new sub than XM is paying. Neither company is viable long-term without the other, IMO.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

I've come to the conclusion that this is an effort by XM/Sirius to begin building a case for themselves that they don't need FCC content controls because they are self-policing when it comes to content viewed as unacceptable. The NAB is going to scream from now until merger day that the FCC needs to tie the hands of satellite radio as part of any deal. That'll be the big fight in the approval process and both XM and Sirius are now minding their Ps and Qs so that the NAB doesn't have a library of stuff to go to Congress with and say "See, you need to watch these guys!"
    That's some excellent, insightful, commentary right there, Matt.

Stat geek...and proud

As to your question, generally, however: Yes, satellite radio can tell how many radios are tuned to a particular station at a particular time and utilize that data in making programming decisions.
    No, they can't. Satellite radios are a one-way transmission. The only way they can track listening habits is by surveys and the online listening. They have no way of knowing what channel my radio is tuned to. (Hard Attack, right now)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    No, they can't. Satellite radios are a one-way transmission. The only way they can track listening habits is by surveys and the online listening. They have no way of knowing what channel my radio is tuned to. (Hard Attack, right now)
    this was my understanding as well...

Are you sure about that? I was told otherwise that they could. My bad if I was wrong!

Are you sure about that? I was told otherwise that they could. My bad if I was wrong!
    I would suspect it works the same way Satellite TV works. You can receive your satellite signal through your dish, but you can't communicate back to the satellite company unless you have your receiver hooked up to a phone line. With no phone line connection, you can't send info back to the satellite radio providers.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

The Opie and Anthony affair is very disturbing....they are one of two reasons I have XM...MLB obviously being the other....so no, I probably wont cancel my sub...but it do find it ironic that they are now still on their CBS radio gig in New York, but suspended from satellite for comments...isnt that what satellite radio is about??? Being able to be edgy, controversial and saying things not appropriate for regular radio??? I guess the proposed XM/Sirius merger changes the landscape...

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    The Opie and Anthony affair is very disturbing....they are one of two reasons I have XM...MLB obviously being the other....so no, I probably wont cancel my sub...but it do find it ironic that they are now still on their CBS radio gig in New York, but suspended from satellite for comments...isnt that what satellite radio is about??? Being able to be edgy, controversial and saying things not appropriate for regular radio??? I guess the proposed XM/Sirius merger changes the landscape...
    I agree. I listen to Homeplate when the boys are off, but otherwise I really don't need XM without them. I can listen to the Reds locally. Also, I really hope this merger doesn't take place. Hoo-hoo Howie would have Mel send O&A packing immediately.
    "Six outs to a full inning. In a major league game, you're going to play 8 or 9 innings. That is never going to change. The money changes. People change. But the game itself is never going to change. The people who designed this thing are brilliant."-Jamie Moyer

Turn Off Ads?