Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Only Reds Fan

The Only Reds Fan

Today during lunch as soon as I walked into the gym someone (who knows I love the Reds) says "Damn those last place Reds suck". Then him and I began arguing about the Reds and Braves (I've mentioned this in another thread). Soon the other Braves fans jump in. I hear "When's the last time Griffey's finished a season?" I reply "Whens the last time Andrew Jones been close to 600 home runs?" Then another ignorant Braves fan interjects and says "Griffey's never even finished a whole season." So I bring up the fact that he had back to back 50 homer seasons so he must've been pretty damn good to do that without playing all year. Another guy jumps in and says "Griffey has to sit the bench every time he breaks a toe nail." Of course I defend Griffey yet again and say "When you're almost 40 then see how your body feels."

I hate being the only Reds fan, in what seems to be, the whole school. After today I hope to God that the Reds go to the playoffs even more than I did before.

Share your stories of being the outcast Reds fan. I know I'm not the only one.
    Most Vottomatic Player

2. Turn Off Ads?
    throws 106. NBD.

Re: The Only Reds Fan

Sounds like a "My dad can beat up your dad" kind of argument. Those are always my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    Sounds like a "My dad can beat up your dad" kind of argument. Those are always my favorite.
    Pretty much and these guys don't know a whole-hell-of-a-lot about baseball. It's like Peter Gammons trying to tell a baby that Ryan Howard was the MVP last year.
    Most Vottomatic Player

the only problem is those great years for jr were with seattle, but with the kind of arguments they were making, i think i would just ignore them, because that sounded like 2nd grade material.

throws 106. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Pretty much and these guys don't know a whole-hell-of-a-lot about baseball. It's like Peter Gammons trying to tell a baby that Ryan Howard was the MVP last year.
    I know the type all too well. It's best to ignore them 'cause it certainly isn't good for your mental health trying to carry on a legitimate discussion with them.

A few years ago I made the mistake of sitting in the bleachers for a Cubs - Reds game. I typically sit in the bleachers for non-Reds games, but when the Reds are at Wrigley I typically try to sit in an area more conducive to watching the game. On this day, my girlfriend had surprised me with tickets for the game. She was so excited and proud of the gift, that I didn't have the heart to tell her this was not a good idea. It was a weekday afternoon game, so I knew I would be one of the few non-Cubs fans in the bleachers.

I decided to go to the game with no Reds gear on. Try to silently cheer my Reds on to victory, that was the plan at least. In the bottom of the first inning Jason LaRue decides to make a great diving catch, and as a knee jerk reaction I stood up and yelled, "Great Catch, LaRue." The entire bleachers happened to be quiet and what felt like every pair of eyes turned squarely to me. The guy behind me yelled, "He's a REDS FAN!" And I proceeded to spend the next 8 innings getting harassed.

I took it pretty well, and laughed at most of it. However, one Cubs Fan was getting on my nerves, due mainly to his ignorance. He was holding up a poster that he made reading, "Nomar, hit a Homar" unfortunately Nomar was on the DL at this time (and he had been on there for some time). So this ****** said something that rubbed me the wrong way and I asked him, "How's Nomar doing today?" He responded with, "Awesome, like always." I responded to him, "you do know he's been on the DL for over a month, expletive head?" After that, most of the Cubs fans around me thought I was funny, and one guy even bought me a beer.

I still go to every Reds game I can at Wrigley, but I will NEVER sit in the bleachers for it again.

Also, this story is one of the reasons I always secretly hated Jason LaRue.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    I took it pretty well, and laughed at most of it. However, one Cubs Fan was getting on my nerves, due mainly to his ignorance. He was holding up a poster that he made reading, "Nomar, hit a Homar" unfortunately Nomar was on the DL at this time (and he had been on there for some time). So this ****** said something that rubbed me the wrong way and I asked him, "How's Nomar doing today?" He responded with, "Awesome, like always." I responded to him, "you do know he's been on the DL for over a month, expletive head?" After that, most of the Cubs fans around me thought I was funny, and one guy even bought me a beer.

I still go to every Reds

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by justincredible View Post
    I know the type all too well. It's best to ignore them 'cause it certainly isn't good for your mental health trying to carry on a legitimate discussion with them.
    Or maybe you could just ask them, would you rather have an OPS of 1.009 or .811? It would be cool to watch their heads explode, if you're not standing too close.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    The guy behind me yelled, "He's a REDS FAN!"
    Nothing gets past those guys.

Makes all the routine posts.

throws 106. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Or maybe you could just ask them, would you rather have an OPS of 1.009 or .811? It would be cool to watch their heads explode, if you're not standing too close.
    "OPS? Shoot, now you're just throwing three letters together to try and trick me!"

Montani Semper Liberi

Just ask the Braves fans when was the last time they were in Atlanta for a game and if they plan on buying a package next year when the Braves aren't on TBS anymore.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I actually was talking to a guy recently who was bad mouthing the Reds and talking about how much their pitching sucks. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was talking about the bullpen. Then the next thing out of his mouth was "I mean, Arroyo started out 0-3."

At that point I dismissed everything he was saying. I guess for some reason I expect everyone to be more than just a casual fan. I'm a diehard for every sport that I pay attention to, so I hate having conversations about sports with people outside of places like this because I don't feel like they can keep up with what I'm yapping on and on about. I feel at home here because I don't know half what a lot of posters here do.

Having Griffey on your side in an argument is like going into a knife-fight with a Howitzer.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I feel your pain. Here in Mississippi it's either Braves fans or Cardinal fans. Most of them have about the same level of knowledge you described.

Quote Originally Posted by MississippiRed View Post
    I feel your pain. Here in Mississippi it's either Braves fans or Cardinal fans. Most of them have about the same level of knowledge you described.
    Unless you're in Tupelo, then you can listen to the Reds:

Tupelo WKMQ-AM 1060

Turn Off Ads?