Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Watching Dayton OD

Watching Dayton OD

Just getting around too watching the Dragons opening day game. Keep in mind this is the 1st game of the season for them so some things may be not be as they seem.

Some observations:

Tom Browning is one of the corniest Color guys around.

Tom also "had most of these guys in the instructional league", and has nicknames for most of them to prove it.

Sean Watson is now at 6' 2 215, last year he was at around 240 lbs. and per Browning they (the powers that be) had to have a sit down with him towards the end of the season. Apparently about attitude, he had let his whiskers go a bit and that + his performance (1-2 8.59 era 10 appearances all out of the pen) warranted it apparently. They told him he was going to start this season and he needed to grow up a bit (or something to that effect), so the kid responded by getting in much better shape and dropping the 20+ lbs. Although he still looks chunky too me, think Burba or Mark Portugal.

Watty (as Browning calls him) has 4 pitches FB/CiCh/KnCu/SL. Pitches alot FB/CC with that very nasty KnCu sprinkled in just right. Doesn't throw the slider much and it hasn't proved to be much of a pitch yet anyhow.

Seems to pitch from the belt and up to most everyone, had a difficult time getting the ball down around the knees much. However we are talking about a game played @ 35 degrees, and once he got about an inning and a half to 2 he seemed to warm up a bit and get it down a little more consistently. Gave up his 1 run in the 1st where he was around the letters alot. His line 5ip 1 run, 7hits, 6K's, 0 BB's.

Disclaimer: Based on this game alone
    Talked about too much:
    Chris Valaika (didn't hit in this game, although did show a strong & acc arm)

Not talked about enough:
    Chris Heisey (plays smart ball), Dennis Phipps (DR) (as athletic as Stubbs)

Travis Webb looks long and strong but mechanically looks like he has a hitch in his delivery. Throws alot of balls up and again the weather may have had alot to do with it. He throws a 4SFB, 2SFB (best pitch), CB/CH. That sinker (2SFB) is is main weapon but he didn't use it much or it wasn't gettin down. Gave up an opposite field HR with his 1st batter, up and out over the plate.

Stubbs looked solid in every facet. He looks like his bat speed could be his issue at the plate, he's not up there hacking at a lot of junk. He reminds me of Dunn alot in that he has the patience and a decent eye but he is not getting around alot on the FB when the count doesn't necc. call for it.

Juan Francisco will swing at most anything (as some have already noted) and he won't ever get cheated up there, he is swinging for it all on nearly every pitch. He is about EE's size/stature but plays like Tony Batista too me.

Julio Mateo closed it out for the home team (W of course 3-2) he kinda gave me the impression of a young Jose Mesa, tall & thick and flys open wildly with every pitch. But looked pretty solid getting the save.

Tom Brownings Nicknames:
    "Ticket" Stubbs (I did hear him call him Stubbsy at 1 point)
    "Firehead" Justin Turner (who BTW looked good in this game also, didn't explain the nickname however)
    "Watty" Sean Watson

All in all the team looked pretty solid. The OF Heisey LF, Stubbs CF, Phipps RF all have speed and strong arms and a sense for the game.

The IF of Parker 1B, Turner 2B, Valaika SS, Francisco 3B all looked pretty solid although I wondered if Francisco might be a bit raw over there and if Valaika has enough range.

And Esquer behind the plate seemed to call a good game, has a solid arm and looked like he at least understood what not too swing at offensively. He has little power though and a few balls got past him (but none that mattered).

I have 2 more games I will watch soon (I hope) 4/20 vs. Quad City Swing and 4/21 vs. Burlington Bees.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 05-11-2007 at 04:20 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Watching Dayton OD

Justin Turner has bright red hair
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I'll bet he only calls him "Firehead" on the radio. The name is probably a little more colorful when he knows women and children aren't listening!

Keep it coming, MR -- good stuff.

Would it be wise to keep these guys together, at least maybe all up Stubbs, Valaika, Francisco and Watson at the same time? They seem to play so well together and I wouldn't want to lose their chemistry. Has that ever been one before where a club moves an entire team up one league?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think Francisco might need to stay in Dayton all year. He is a bit younger than the rest of the guys, and he needs some work with his game a bit more than the rest of the guys do.

I thought Francisco played defense better than Ed E, do you feel thats accurate Doug?

Not really sure about that.

Ive seen all 3 games OD and he's got a great arm looks pretty fluid, Ed E seems to lose focus and panics a lot. I think Ed E future maybe 1B, 3B and OF.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I thought Francisco played defense better than Ed E, do you feel thats accurate Doug?
    Where did Francisco come from? Just noticed his stats today but had never heard him mentioned before?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Where did Francisco come from? Just noticed his stats today but had never heard him mentioned before?
    We signed him as a 16 year old out of the Dominican Republic in 2004. Last year he played with the GCL Reds and the Billings Mustangs. He showed good doubles power, but only had 3 HR in 189 at bats last season. Right now, he has as many home runs as Jay Bruce does. Granted Jay is barely a month and a half older than Juan and is a level higher, but Francisco's power is real and if he can learn soem plate discipline he will be a real prospect. Ok, he is a real prospect now, but he will be a very good prospect rather than a young guy with lots of potential and a big question mark about his game.

Turn Off Ads?