Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who would you want to replace Jerry Narron?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Joe Girardi

69 53.91%
  • Jack McKeon

10 7.81%
  • Davey Johnson

29 22.66%
  • Kevin Kennedy

5 3.91%
  • Frank Robinson

15 11.72%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Narron Replacement

Narron Replacement

I would love to see Frank Robinson here.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Narron Replacement

That's not an upgrade. He is a terrible manager who after the performance he put forward with the Olympic qualifying team (that didn't) in 2004 should never manage again. He bickers with both players and the front office. True story...MLB tried to get an MLB team to hire him this winter as an advisor or consultant, and not one team would touch him.

If I had a clean slate, I'd love to see Davey Lopes here. He was burdened with a bad team, but I liked him as a manager.

From that list, I'll take Davey. Frank Robinson would be my second choice, but I'm worried that he's getting too old and too cranky.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    That's not an upgrade. He is a terrible manager who after the performance he put forward with the Olympic qualifying team (that didn't) in 2004 should never manage again. He bickers with both players and the front office. True story...MLB tried to get an MLB team to hire him this winter as an advisor or consultant, and not one team would touch him.

If I had a clean slate, I'd love to see Davey Lopes here. He was burdened with a bad team, but I liked him as a manager.
    Robinson turned some lousy teams around in Baltimore and Montreal--the main thing is getting a guy who can cut through the clubhouse fat that the Reds have.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I think there's a reason why Davey Johnson hasn't managed in a long time. I don't know that reason, but I'm sure there is one.

When and if the time comes to fire Jerry Narron (and it will, when WK's job is in jeopardy, and he needs to make some changes or lose his own job), it will be someone from Krivsky's past, during his work with the Twins. Probably some obscure name, a former Twins bench coach whom Kriv worked well with in the past, and never got a shot to manage the Twinkies.

He'll bring in his own guy this time. Even though he claims to work well with Jerry, Jerry is not his guy. At any rate, I don't think it'll be a hire designed to please the fan base.

Robinson will kill Harang, Arroyo, and Bailey if he makes it up. I'll take McKeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I would love to see Frank Robinson here.
    Between Robinson, Mckeon and maybe Johnson (He's the baby, only 64), the equipment guys would need to add walkers, oxygen tanks and prostate stimulators for the bench. Probably an elevator to walk the steps into the clubhouse.
    Girardi is the man. Besides, the Yankees are giving him the cold shoulder, as their replacement for Torre has already been annointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I think there's a reason why Davey Johnson hasn't managed in a long time. I don't know that reason, but I'm sure there is one.

When and if the time comes to fire Jerry Narron (and it will, when WK's job is in jeopardy, and he needs to make some changes or lose his own job), it will be someone from Krivsky's past, during his work with the Twins. Probably some obscure name, a former Twins bench coach whom Kriv worked well with in the past, and never got a shot to manage the Twinkies.

He'll bring in his own guy this time. Even though he claims to work well with Jerry, Jerry is not his guy. At any rate, I don't think it'll be a hire designed to please the fan base.
    I don't argue with that--but that is EXACTLY the wrong approach for Krivsky. The main issue for the Reds is that they need a manager who runs the ballclub. Right now the clubhouse runs the ballclub. Some no-name Twins coach will get eaten alive by the kids-in-detention mentality of Griffey, Dunn, Freel, et al.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I don't argue with that--but that is EXACTLY the wrong approach for Krivsky. The main issue for the Reds is that they need a manager who runs the ballclub. Right now the clubhouse runs the ballclub. Some no-name Twins coach will get eaten alive by the kids-in-detention mentality of Griffey, Dunn, Freel, et al.
    Personally, I'd like to see Robinson. I know he's a dinosaur, and I know it wouldn't be for long, but I'd love to see him in a Reds uniform again. But that's not the only reason- this team could use a little 'tude. It'd be good for them to develop a little more mental toughness.

But I think Kriv will do what I have outlined above.

And I think Narron will be here through ASB 2008, at least. I don't think he's going anywhere soon. I scratch my head sometimes trying to figure out some of his moves, but no one could win with the way this bullpen is pitching right now. I think Narron's an average manager.

Plan to be spontaneous Jefferson24's Avatar

So how many of his staff go with him when he's fired? Pitching coach and hitting coach both gone too? Do you think they'll clean house?
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    So how many of his staff go with him when he's fired? Pitching coach and hitting coach both gone too? Do you think they'll clean house?
    If they fire him soon, I think Pole and Jacoby will stick around.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Rotater Cuff View Post
    Girardi is the man. Besides, the Yankees are giving him the cold shoulder, as their replacement for Torre has already been annointed.
    and the replacement is????
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Bobby Valentine.

I think there's a good chance that Girardi's Nazi approach to managing would not go over well with our two best players Griffey and Dunn. If your stars don't buy in you have no chance to succeed. I voted for Frank, he seems to have done a good job in some tough situations and he is certainly someone everybody would respect.

mckeon is a proven winner. But I don't think Narron is going anywhere soon

Turn Off Ads?