Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best quote of the year - Vin Scully

Best quote of the year - Vin Scully

"Now here comes Juan Castro, he is a delightful fellow but he doesn't hit much better than me or you" and he goes on and on about how Juan sucks at hitting.

I had to laugh, what a joy it is listening to Vin for this 3 game series. Hopefully we can take at least one...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Best quote of the year - Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    "Now here comes Juan Castro, he is a delightful fellow but he doesn't hit much better than me or you" and he goes on and on about how Juan sucks at hitting.

I had to laugh, what a joy it is listening to Vin for this 3 game series. Hopefully we can take at least one...
    Vin beat on the Reds team K's relentlessly last night, it was a broken record, he even ripped their team batting average.

BTW the Dodgers team BA is 1 point less then the Reds and the Reds have a 85 point advantage in Slg% and have 29 more HR's and 7 more triples and 1 less steal. I know which team has a better offense, despite striking out 13 times and having Vin tell me how hard it must be to watch the Reds do that night in and night out.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Vin beat on the Reds team K's relentlessly last night, it was a broken record, he even ripped their team batting average.

BTW the Dodgers team BA is 1 point less then the Reds and the Reds have a 85 point advantage in Slg% and have 29 more HR's and 7 more triples and 1 less steal. I know which team has a better offense, despite striking out 13 times and having Vin tell me how hard it must be to watch the Reds do that night in and night out.
    Isn't Dodger Stadium known as a pitcher's park and the GABP known as a hitter's park?
    Last edited by RBA; 05-12-2007 at 12:58 PM.

I try and just hear the voice because more often than not his message is worse than anything you hear from our guys.

Reading the media guide and going on about K's in a way that would make Marty blush can only be pulled off if you have his voice.

As much as I was in heaven the first few innings in all honesty I couldn't take him on a nightly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Isn't Dodger Stadium know as a pitcher's park and the GABP known as a hitter's park?
    Yep, but the picthers park version of Dodger has shrunk due to a betters hitters background and increased stands /reduced foul area. That said the Dodgers Road Slg% is also .357

Frankly, neither the Reds nor the Dodgers are anything to write home about in the offense category. As always, the Reds are longball dependent. The Dodgers have willfully handicapped the scoring with Juan Pierre, Wilson Betemit and Luis Gonzalez (great guy, but bad fit for that park).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Frankly, neither the Reds nor the Dodgers are anything to write home about in the offense category. As always, the Reds are longball dependent. The Dodgers have willfully handicapped the scoring with Juan Pierre, Wilson Betemit and Luis Gonzalez (great guy, but bad fit for that park).
    The Dodgers are woefully lacking power this year, more so then prior years.

Yeah, he says plenty of silly things. When Morgan and McCarver and friends spout the same sort of nonsense, I find it almost intolerable. When Vin does the same thing, it sounds quaint and charming.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

The Dodgers are woefully lacking power this year, more so then prior years.
    They've got fixes for that, though. Matt Kemp's around. I'm no big fan of Andy LaRoche, but he's got power potential. Also, a number of players on the team are underperforming on the power front. That will change.

Heck, maybe they'll trade for Adam Dunn.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

It's amazing how much 2 hall of famers and maybe the best 2 broadcasters in the game right now get bashed on here. Sure, maybe their opinion on baseball doesn't mesh well with yours but that makes the hall of famer unbearable to listen to? Just because his opinions differ from yours doesnt give him the right to voice it? I'd listen to Marty or Vin Scully any day of the week regardless of their views on the game. And with how much baseball Marty and Vin has seen over the years, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    It's amazing how much 2 hall of famers and maybe the best 2 broadcasters in the game right now get bashed on here. Sure, maybe their opinion on baseball doesn't mesh well with yours but that makes the hall of famer unbearable to listen to? Just because his opinions differ from yours doesnt give him the right to voice it? I'd listen to Marty or Vin Scully any day of the week regardless of their views on the game. And with how much baseball Marty and Vin has seen over the years, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Really? I find it amazing that you can't state your opinion about an announcer calling a game (and not insult him) and still get flak from folks for it.

I love listening to Vin Scully call a game generally ... but it's the description, not the analysis I like. I wish more play-by-play announcers would pay more attention to what's happening on the field.

Really? I find it amazing that you can't state your opinion about an announcer calling a game (and not insult him) and still get flak from folks for it.
    I'm not saying you can't state your opinion. That would be hypocritcal of me to say that since I said broadcasters have the right to voice their opinions. I guess some people will never be happy no matter who's calling, playing, or managing the games even though they are the ones out there doing it and we are sitting here on an internet message board (a great one at that!)...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post

I loved hearing that!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I know what you're saying, and as I was reading through this thread, my jaw dropped as well. Maybe WLW should just mic the players, and do away with announcers. I wonder if people would enjoy that more...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?