Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: time to trade Griffey???

time to trade Griffey???

The Reds are struggling. 'Monte Carlo' computer simulations put the Reds chance of making the playoffs at less than 5%.

Griffey is having a great year at the plate. His trade value is actually decent due to this plus he only has one more year left on his contract.

I realize he has 10/5 rights. He may want to play his last 2 years as a Red.
    However he has never won the World series and he might very well welcome a trade to a contending team.

If the Reds continue to falter and Griffey continues to play well then it wouldn't suprise me to see him traded in June or July.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: time to trade Griffey???

No keep Jr.
    Most Vottomatic Player

If you can get all the details worked out I'm fine with him or anyone else being traded, just not given away. The farm needs more depth if we are ever going to get this disaster turned around.

Depends what you can get for him. If you can get something useful for him, then yeah. I just don't know what the market is for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

all depends on what you could get. Honestly a team like the Dodgers could really use his bat, they are woefully lacking in power.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

10/5.

If Griffey gets traded it will be up to him.

On the other hand, I say there is not a single player on the ML roster that should be untouchable. For the right price, that is. This team is a couple of years away, at the very least, from serious contention.

I see 3 problems with tyring to trade Griffey.
    1. He is a 10/5 guy and I would imagine at this point would only go somewhere that could almost guarantee him a shot at a ring. This means your list of teams is much shorter.
    2. What exactly are you going to get for Griffey at this point in his career. I love the guy but he really doesn't have all that much trade value. I see no reason to move him for some scrub just so we can get out of his contract and if we get a decent prospect we would have to send money with him.
    3. I really don't see the Reds moving Griffey at al right now unless he just demands it. The team is sinking quick and there is no reason to think that next year will be any better at this point. The only thing that will be drawing fans after the All-Star break and possibly next season is Griffey closing in on and passing 600. The Reds have a huge marketing tool in Griffey right now and they aren't stupid enough to let that get away.

lol never fails to see these threads every season....

Not that it wouldn't make sense to trade him, but unless a good offer comes along, then we keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    The Reds are struggling. 'Monte Carlo' computer simulations put the Reds chance of making the playoffs at less than 5%.

Griffey is having a great year at the plate. His trade value is actually decent due to this plus he only has one more year left on his contract.

I realize he has 10/5 rights. He may want to play his last 2 years as a Red.
    However he has never won the World series and he might very well welcome a trade to a contending team.

If the Reds continue to falter and Griffey continues to play well then it wouldn't suprise me to see him traded in June or July.
    He actually is due almost two full years with another $4M to not let him play in '09....and then there is that little matter of the almost $60M deferred that starts getting paid after '09..... Even if Jr agreed to a trade (which would alomost certainly mean that $4M in '09 actaully turned into $16.5M) he's not really decent trade bait. You're not going to get much back with all of that moola involved...
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If Griffey were to waive his 10/5 rights, I think any potential trade partner would have to match three key criteria for him. There's probably even more criteria not listed, but here's three that I'm certain would be listed ...

1) A World Series contender
    2) A Grapefruit League team
    3) No longer than a 2-3 hour flight from his home in Florida

Produce the list of the teams that meet all three of those above criteria, and that's probably the short list of where Griffey could be persuaded to waive his 10/5 rights and accept a trade. And even on that short list there's likely teams where Griffey would immediately say no thanks.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Griffey and Hamilton are two of the reasons I can enjoy watching the Reds this season. Trading them for some illusory future will just make me tune out the Reds for the rest of the season. It seems like anytime a player starts playing well, fans brace themselves for the guy to get traded. It really speaks volumes about where this organization has gone in the past decade. It doesn't add to the guys who are playing well in an effort to build a complete team. It doesn't trade one component to add needed components to complete the team. It just farms out the best pieces (and that is only in years where guys are worth having) to teams that are willing to pay them. If returns like Harang and Arroyo weren't rare and anomalous, I probably wouldn't sound so sour.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Sanchez View Post
    I see 3 problems with tyring to trade Griffey.
    1. He is a 10/5 guy and I would imagine at this point would only go somewhere that could almost guarantee him a shot at a ring. This means your list of teams is much shorter.
    2. What exactly are you going to get for Griffey at this point in his career. I love the guy but he really doesn't have all that much trade value. I see no reason to move him for some scrub just so we can get out of his contract and if we get a decent prospect we would have to send money with him.
    3. I really don't see the Reds moving Griffey at al right now unless he just demands it. The team is sinking quick and there is no reason to think that next year will be any better at this point. The only thing that will be drawing fans after the All-Star break and possibly next season is Griffey closing in on and passing 600. The Reds have a huge marketing tool in Griffey right now and they aren't stupid enough to let that get away.
    Griffey has an OPS of 1.08! He also only has 1.5 years left on his contract.
    I disagree with you on him having no trade value.
    I think his trade value is decent/good and hasn't been higher in years.

OK course the Reds won't ( ie can't ) trade Griffey unless he wants it.
    I think he might. It all comes down to whether he wants 2-3 shots at a ring or wants to finish out his career on a Reds team that hasn't been to the playoffs since he arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    If Griffey were to waive his 10/5 rights, I think any potential trade partner would have to match three key criteria for him. There's probably even more criteria not listed, but here's three that I'm certain would be listed ...

1) A World Series contender
    2) A Grapefruit League team
    3) No longer than a 2-3 hour flight from his home in Florida

Produce the list of the teams that meet all three of those above criteria, and that's probably the short list of where Griffey could be persuaded to waive his 10/5 rights and accept a trade. And even on that short list there's likely teams where Griffey would immediately say no thanks.
    If I am Griffey and I decide I want to go to a World series contender rather than finishing my career as a Red then only #1 counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Griffey has an OPS of 1.08! He also only has 1.5 years left on his contract.
    I disagree with you on him having no trade value.
    I think his trade value is decent/good and hasn't been higher in years.

OK course the Reds won't ( ie can't ) trade Griffey unless he wants it.
    I think he might. It all comes down to whether he wants 2-3 shots at a ring or wants to finish out his career on a Reds team that hasn't been to the playoffs since he arrived.
    Griffey's OPS would impress GMs alot more in July then it does in early May.....

The idea of a trade has been proposed. I'm wondering what it would take in return to make trading Griffey a good deal?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Griffey's OPS would impress GMs alot more in July then it does in early May.....

The idea of a trade has been proposed. I'm wondering what it would take in return to make trading Griffey a good deal?
    This depends on what the Reds plan is for 2008 and beyond.

I think the Reds organization ( Bob C, Krisky, assistant GMs, Narron, coaches, etc ) need to come up with 'plan B' if the Reds continue to falter.
    Griffey & Lohse ( if they continue to play well ) could have significant trade value come June or July and the Reds need to decide if they want to trade them and what exactly for.
    If the Reds sort of tread water without a plan they could miss an opportunity or two.
    Other guys like Hat, Conine, etc could be traded but wouldn't get us much more than a 'C' type prospect.

Turn Off Ads?