Turn Off Ads?

Thread: up coming schedule looks brutal

up coming schedule looks brutal

after LA its SD, @Cle, homestand looks like a breather then @Hou, then the month of June looks like no breaks, I dont see one easy series.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: up coming schedule looks brutal

Houston at home won't be a breeze (we are 1-6 against them in Cincinnati) but I agree that this could be a road trip that will make or break any chance we have for post season play. We dug ourselves in a very big hole early this year and this teams track record for West Coast road trips is abysmal.

Tonight we get Brad Penny, that sure as hell won't be an easy task. We have to get some offense going and quit leaving men on base like we did last night. The NL Central went 0-6 last night as every team was playing against either the NL East or NL West. That shows how mediocre this division is and why only the winner will get to in the post season.

We still have 6 or 7 games with the Mets and Braves coming up also. That should be a real thrill

i hate west coast trips. losses are even more frustrating when you stay up til 1:30 watching them.

If you're a Jerry hater, and I am, there is no better time for a west-coast trip. Not that I want to see it but a 1-8 would probably nail Jerry's coffin.

UC Ken, I don't think Sparky Anderson himself could get this team into the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by storrs19 View Post
    Houston at home won't be a breeze (we are 1-6 against them in Cincinnati) but I agree that this could be a road trip that will make or break any chance we have for post season play. We dug ourselves in a very big hole early this year and this teams track record for West Coast road trips is abysmal.
    Same old Reds.

I wasn't worried about the schedule prior to the season, but the Reds have set themselves up for this road trip to be a coup de grace for any chance they had of competing this season. If the Reds go 2-6 for the rest of this trip, and the opposition is plenty good enough to put that kind of hurt on a struggling team, then the club is 10 games below .500 and 2007 is just about done.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I wasn't worried about the schedule prior to the season, but the Reds have set themselves up for this road trip to be a coup de grace for any chance they had of competing this season. If the Reds go 2-6 for the rest of this trip, and the opposition is plenty good enough to put that kind of hurt on a struggling team, then the club is 10 games below .500 and 2007 is just about done.

I haven't done the math but for all those waiting for a Brewer collapse its getting to the point where they only have to play .500 ball the rest of the way to win 90+ games.

That in addition to the fact we are in no way shape or form capable of the kind of winning streak it would take to win 90+ ourselves had me saying goodbye to '07 before this road trip. 2-8 or so would obviously be the death knell.

Wait untill the SP comes back to earth, Gonzo has the mother of all slumps to get his numbers back to his career norm and we get some injuries. I'm seriously not worried about winning 90, I'm wondering if we might not lose 100.

That is my biggest concern. Starting pitching has been quite above average so far (although I think it is starting to return to its norm) and we have squandered so many good starts. The blowpen is the main culprit but even when they didn't blow it we had no offense. We will really be wanting those extra 6 or 7 wins we should have by now come August.

As someone mentioned I can easily see this team losing 100 games this year. Once the starters get back to their norm, the Blowpen continuing its usual adventures, too many strikeouts, and our horrible RISP batting average all set in it looks pretty grim. I have not given up yet, but I feel that by the time we return to GAB we will know one way or another if this team can really contend.

Priorities that I'd like to see get done once the USS Narron/Krivsky sinks

1. Clear out 1B and get Votto going over there
    2. Every young bullpen stud in our system should be given a shot at performing at the major league level.
    3. Bailey should be brought up by July and be allowed to get his feet wet. Stop babying this guy since there's no shot at coming back this year.
    4. Bring Ed E back up and alow him to move from infield to outfield, you are allowed to do that with players from time to time.
    5. Trade guys who are going to demand big contracts i.e. Dunn and Loshe.

Well, there is one bright spot. The way Houston's rotation falls we should miss Oswalt by a day unless they move him up one day as they do have off days between now and then. The way the Reds' luck is going I'm sure that will happen.

Turn Off Ads?