Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Since Narron's extension...

Re: Since Narron's extension...

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redsmetz
    While I can understand the logic, I was not one who agreed with questioning the extension. I think Narron's a better manager than most RZer's believe.
    Based on?
    It's nothing more than my personal feeling. I understand that Narron's record does not indicate a winning manager. I also understand the legitimate points that many RZ posters lay out for why they believe that he is not a very good manager.

I've pointed out repeatedly that much of what can be said about Jerry Narron could now could have been (and probably was) said about Joe Torre in his initial stints with Atlanta and St. Louis. I still have a great concern that the revolving door in the manager's office since at least Pete was banned from baseball and maybe, given that, at least since Sparky left, that we never have an continuity from our managers.

I think Narron's a decent manager, who makes the occasional mistakes, but who overall if fairly sound, who, if given the chance, can turn this thing around. I may well be wrong and it may be pollyannish, but I think we're better served keeping someone longer rather than lopping off heads every time the team takes a turn for the worse.

This has been a very enigmatic season overall. I think Marty stated it very well about a week ago when he lamented that Narron unfairly be the victim of this team's poor play.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    It's nothing more than my personal feeling. I understand that Narron's record does not indicate a winning manager. I also understand the legitimate points that many RZ posters lay out for why they believe that he is not a very good manager.

I've pointed out repeatedly that much of what can be said about Jerry Narron could now could have been (and probably was) said about Joe Torre in his initial stints with Atlanta and St. Louis. I still have a great concern that the revolving door in the manager's office since at least Pete was banned from baseball and maybe, given that, at least since Sparky left, that we never have an continuity from our managers.

I think Narron's a decent manager, who makes the occasional mistakes, but who overall if fairly sound, who, if given the chance, can turn this thing around. I may well be wrong and it may be pollyannish, but I think we're better served keeping someone longer rather than lopping off heads every time the team takes a turn for the worse.

This has been a very enigmatic season overall. I think Marty stated it very well about a week ago when he lamented that Narron unfairly be the victim of this team's poor play.
    Fair enough, I've rarely seen anyone defend him. IMO, it's mostly the players that make a manager. However, there are certain managers that can motivate veterans to play harder, or certain managers handly youngsters better than others. All managers have tendencies, and Narron seems to definitely prefer veterans, doesn't like to platoon a lot (though he does some), doens't seem to like to bunt with anyone other than the pitcher, his downfall IMO is his inability to distinguish between a hot hand, and a legitimate player. Example...........moving Alex Gonzalez to the five hole after he has a good week, or riding a bullpen arm until if falls off. I personally think the team has packed it in on him, and his merry go round lineup card. I think Vets like Griffey, Dunn, Ross, Hatteberg, Conine, and Castro see that for what is is, indecisiveness. The downside to letting him go is that he has done a good job with Josh Hamilton, and I'm not sure how Hamilton would react.

Narron has got to go. You can no longer sell this manager to the fan base. I lost all confidence in him when the team quit down the strech last year. There needs to be an organizational change with managers around here. The players seem too cozy with Narron. This team needs a manager who is going to motivate and hold the players accountable for their shortcomings.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Narron has got to go. You can no longer sell this manager to the fan base. I lost all confidence in him when the team quit down the strech last year. There needs to be an organizational change with managers around here. The players seem too cozy with Narron. This team needs a manager who is going to motivate and hold the players accountable for their shortcomings.

Not that I'm a big fan of Narron's but if Wayne and Bob feel he's the right man for the job, whether they are right or wrong, they need to keep him. As for selling him to the fan base, there's only one person who they could name manager that would be a "good sell" to the fan base and he can't have any job in baseball now. If you fired Narron after the road trip and replaced him with Bucky Dent or whomever, is that going to make people come out and watch the Reds? It's going to take a lot more than a managerial change to "sell" the Reds to the fans now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

Six weeks ago, I would have argued until I was blue in the face to replace Narron, but now I would not. Why? Outside of a couple of position players, this team is not a .500 team but a below .500 tream. Watching yesterday's debacle, it's fairly obvious that no one short of the almighty can right them. Save some money and make your move after the season.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?