Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never could put it together...

Never could put it together...

What teams in baseball history did you think were chocked with tallent and poised to rule the universe, only to never put it all together and win anything of real substance?

Also, please share any background info about the team, why they crashed and burned, funny stories, etc.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

2. Turn Off Ads?
    throws 106. NBD.

Re: Never could put it together...

How about the Indians of the mid-90s?

Albert Belle
    Jim Thome
    Manny Ramirez
    Eddie Murray
    Omar Vizquel
    Kenny Lofton

When it's all said and done they would have had 4 Hall of Famers in their lineup (Murray, Thome, Ramirez and Vizquel) plus two guys who could've easily been Hall of Famers had they played longer/stayed healthy.

Even though they won a title, I'd put the late-80s Oakland team up there. That team was LOADED.

The Braves of the 90s as well.

Even though both teams won rings, they left a lot to be desired.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

1982 reds frank pastore was the prime pitcher

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

90's Braves. How the heck do you only win one WS with those pitching staffs. Plus, they ran some pretty darn good offensive players through there as well. The run of division titles looks good, but overall a major underachievement in my eyes.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

1993 Mets had Bobby Bonilla, Eddie Murray, and Howard Johnson and lost 103 games.

Since I'm a White Sox fan, I'll have to throw in 2003. Frank Thomas hit 42 homers that year, and the line-up that year also boasted Paul Konerko (who had a terrible first half, but a fair second half), Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Lee, and Joe Crede. Their rotation also included Bartolo Colon, Esteban Loaiza (who had a career year that year), Mark Buehrle, and Jon Garland (who wasn't quite at his 2005-2006 form, but was ok).

To this day, I will never know why they lost to an inferior Twins team that year that did not have an OUTSTANDING Johan Santana, that did not have Joe Mauer, and did not have Justin Morneau or Joe Nathan for that matter.

I'll also throw in the 2004 Cubs, 2003 Phillies, and the 1969-1980 Orioles. I don't care how good the 1971 Pirates were, you ARE NOT supposed to lose the World Series with FOUR 20 game winners!!!
    Last edited by GoGoWhiteSox; 05-13-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoWhiteSox View Post
    1969-1980 Orioles
    Unfortunately that team did win one, as many folks around here could attest to.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Unfortunately that team did win one, as many folks around here could attest to.
    Yeah I know that they won in 1970, but still, out of all of those outstanding teams they had during that run, they could only put it together just once? They had a better team in 1971 and still lost.

The Pirates of the mid-sixties were loaded and never really did much

'69 Cubs. Amazing.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

The Pittsburgh Pirates from 1990-1992. Those teams were pretty loaded, but never managed to get past the NLCS.

1998 Houston Astros won 102 games, and had a pretty nasty lineup and rotation.

The Montreal Expos of the early 1990s also had a ton of talent.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

In 1997, the Braves and Orioles had awesome clubs. It may have been the Braves' best team during their run. Both lost in the LCS and instead we got treated to easily the worst seven-game World Series in history.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In 1997, the Braves and Orioles had awesome clubs. It may have been the Braves' best team during their run. Both lost in the LCS and instead we got treated to easily the worst seven-game World Series in history.
    Really? I kinda liked the Marlins vs. Indians WS.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Montreal Expos of the 1980's

Gary Carter
    Steve Rogers
    Andre Dawson
    Tim Raines
    Tim Wallach
    Jeff Reardon
    Al Oliver
    Warren Cromartie

The Expos have nuttin to show for all those great players!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Also the Cleveland Indians of the early 50's.

Bob Feller
    Early Wynn
    Mike Garcia
    Bob Lemon
    Al Rosen
    Lou Boudreau
    Bobby Avilla
    Larry Doby

The 1954 team did win an AL record 111 games but got beat in the WS by the Giants.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 05-14-2007 at 01:11 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?