Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does losing effect you ?

part of BBN

How does losing effect you ?

In other words...are you a bandwagon fan and to what extent?
    Myself...I have always followed the reds since around 78 and that includes the good years thru the 100 loss seasons into the Pete Rose managerial era and beyond.
    This team really irks me cause of the winnable division as well as some of JN moves regarding the players.
    As the losses mount ...just curious...how all of you handle it.
    Myself
    1: I still watch the reds but I dont have that "upset" at a loss as much when I really expect them to lose anyway.

2:I also and this may sound silly, but I dont watch as much Baseball Tonight and stuff like that cause I dont like seeing fun being poked at my Reds.

3:Also when the reds win, and I am going out with my family or at work and the Reds are on, I tape it and watch it later that day/night.
    When they are playing like this...I dont bother taping, just check out the boxscore when I get home.

These are just a few things.
    How about the rest of you....do you not listen/watch ? not go ?
    How does the losing effect you ?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How does losing effect you ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    In other words...are you a bandwagon fan and to what extent?
    Myself...I have always followed the reds since around 78 and that includes the good years thru the 100 loss seasons into the Pete Rose managerial era and beyond.
    This team really irks me cause of the winnable division as well as some of JN moves regarding the players.
    As the losses mount ...just curious...how all of you handle it.
    Myself
    1: I still watch the reds but I dont have that "upset" at a loss as much when I really expect them to lose anyway.

2:I also and this may sound silly, but I dont watch as much Baseball Tonight and stuff like that cause I dont like seeing fun being poked at my Reds.

3:Also when the reds win, and I am going out with my family or at work and the Reds are on, I tape it and watch it later that day/night.
    When they are playing like this...I dont bother taping, just check out the boxscore when I get home.

I'm just glad I have EI, so I don't have to just watch the Reds. They will always be my favorite team, no matter what, it's just sometimes............I don't know, it's frustrating.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'll be here all season....I'll just be quite cynical

got alil captain in u?

im here all season as well but it kinda ruins my day anymore when the bullpen blows a game everyday

Somewhat upset ... not like it ruins my day or anything ...

but then after it reaches a certain point, which we've just about reached if we haven't already, I watch the games with a sort of detached bemusement; still hoping for a good result, but expecting further crappiness. At that point it becomes much easier to laugh off.
    Last edited by WMR; 05-13-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I'm a Reds/Cavs/Cowboys fan. Losing/disappointing seasons have become a part of me lol.

My shift slowly focuses from watching my favorite team to watching my favorite players, but I still love to watch my team. If they're REALLY bad(think the year the Cavs won I think it was 14 games) it may even feel like there's reason to celebrate a win, because you might not experience it much again that year.

It sounds kind of pathetic, but I just enjoy the show either way.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    I'll be here all season....I'll just be quite cynical
    Same here

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post

This is identical to me, except I will still tape the games if I am out. But I tend to watch all the games until around August if we are way out of it. But right now, I still try to watch every pitch. My work situation is a bit different this year, so that has changed things.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I'm a Reds/Cavs/Cowboys fan. Losing/disappointing seasons have become a part of me lol.
    What planet are you from? Cowboys? That is a perrenial winner in my mind, and I'm only 22.

I guess I'm a bad fan.

Doesn't "effect" me at all. Sure it's frustrating when they lose one they *should* have one. But from a macro sense, this team wasn't supposed to be much better than medicore so a bad week here and there isn't really a big deal IMO.

For me, baseball is an escape from relality. While I certinally would like to see the Reds win the WS and be a dominate force, all I really want is to be able to go to the ballpark and see some baseball being played. I'm not the stereotypical sports fan who lives and dies with his favorite team, being estatic when they win and having a bad day when they lose. Little things like life, my job, relationship with Mrs. Ltlabner, children, maintaining the house are what effects my week. Not baseball.

Like I said, maybe I'm not a real fan. (shrug) [world famous shrug, copyright Remdog. Choose, but choose wisely]
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 05-14-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    What planet are you from? Cowboys? That is a perrenial winner in my mind, and I'm only 22.
    Ehh, the pre-Parcells era was kinda miserable. And I'm only 18, so I really missed the SB runs.

Worth The Wait

Totally effects me. Same goes for the Redskins and Cavs.

Football can sometimes be the most brutal, because each game is so crucial--a particularly tough loss can dampen my entire week. And when the Redskins are out of it late in the season, it really takes away from the holidays for me.

Baseball is different. There isn't ever that "crashing" feeling when it all hits you at once. Instead, it's like a constant frustration gnawing at you.

As a die-hard, I hold on until the last possible hope, but when the Reds play like this, it ABSOLUTELY takes away from my enjoyment of baseball in general. When we're going good, I try and watch other games, BBTN, etc... as often as possible. When it's like this, I almost wish baseball would just disappear. I cringed when I saw Brewers-Mets highlights today because all I can think about was, "Wow, their fans must be having a lot of fun right now."

Baseball is my favorite sport by far and the reds my farvorite team. I have cerbral pulsy so i was never able to play sports. So i really leave and die with my teams and big who dey also! I just something could change this with this team i know they want to win but they have to do what it takes to win. Here's starting a good streak tommorrow in san deigo!!

I'm a diehard Reds fan for life, always have been always will be. I'm with them whether they win or loose, but man I just want some kind of post-season. Man that would feel good. I love them and always will, but it would be nice to see them ahead.

For about the first month I was getting really upset when we lost... I thought the team was good then (Oh, to live the dream). Now I think I have realized how bad they really are. I still watch most games, but it's not like everyting stops so I can tune in..... If they loose, well they suck so it's no big deal. At least my blood pressure is better.....

Now I'm more like a guy driving by some wreck on the side of the road..... Rubber necking to see the carnage... Will they fire the skipper? Fire Sale? Any lost limbs?

Turn Off Ads?